Permanent visa status - 2017 immigration law

Does anyone know if the 2017 immigration law abolishes current permanent visas or just disallows them in the future? Would someone with a current permanent visa have to apply for residency? Can they still reside within the country and come and go at the present time with the permanent visa? Thanks.

Under the terms of the law, all currently valid visas remain valid until their expiration date.  If your VIPER, like mine, has no expiration date, then it remains valid indefinitely.   Brazilian Consulates appear to still be processing visa applications, including for family reunification, although it's not clear whether they're still being issued without an expiration date.
The RNE has been renamed RNM, but is still processed by the Federal Police, and still required for residence.
A lot of questions still need to be clarified by regulations not yet published, but this seems to be the lay of the land at the moment.

OH WOW  I totally missed the new law as I've been in the US with my husband for the last year. Does anyone have resources to learn about the new law. My CIE is valid  until 2025. Does anyone know about what the new permanent status will look like?

Hi, philmoto!
You can read the new law here:
www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_ato2015- … L13445.htm
The regs are only coming out gradually, so I plan to keep checking every couple of weeks.  But it sounds like you're ok until 2025.
While the new visas haven't appeared on the Consulate websites (at least Chicago, which I check most often), a list of fees that gives the names is attached to the law.  It looks like the VIPER for family reunion is being replaced by a new temporary visa, the VITEM IX, for a similar fee.  No details on period of validity, though.