Now living in USA, Name Change Help.

Hello, everybody, I am new here and would really like some input or any information if anybody has dealt with a similar issue. I married my American husband in Brazil. I later obtained my immigrant visa and moved to the US with my husband and recently received my green card. When we married in Brazil I did not want to add my husband's last name due to the fact that we were in the process of the visa and did not want to complicate things. Also, I didn't want to have 5 different names. Now that I am living here I would like to have a much shorter name being my first and his last. Does anybody know where I can begin to do this process? Who do I contact or where do I go? Will I have to change my Green Card, passport, resident card, birth and marriage certificate? Can I just start using my new name and get an ID and not have any problems here? Do I have to notify brazil? Will I have any problems if I one day want to visit Brazil? I want to thank you guys ahead of time. This site has been really helpful throughout my time in Brasil and helped me get to the point where I am now. Any input will be appreciated.

Me and my wife married in America and she took an Americanized (first name, father last name and my last name) shorter name there. Here in Brazil she still uses her maiden name. Since we married before applying for green (vanilla) card and then got her citizenship I'm not sure how you go about this after the process is already in motion. I think it would be very complicated to change that whole stack of documents in America.

In regards to Brazil my wife has all her Brazil documents in her maiden name and all American documents in her Americanized name. We have had no problems at all and she has been down here for 3 years now. I'm not sure we will change her name here, because professionally her maiden name is better.

Passports have different last names and no problems at all.

Try working with the Consulate or Embassy of the US and Brasil as I'm sure your not the first person to make a request, try a immigration lawyer for anwsers, for the way documents and identification goes from country to country these days it maybe a requirement for all the documents to be changed.
I do remember one being able to file/ petiton a court document for a name change. If your planning to come back to Brasil you might want to rethink having  to change everything.
In this day and age all I can say is have every document one can to prove who one is .
Biometrics would solve all of  this (lol). I love the face  scanner at the airport (lol)
Good luck with your quest.

Typically you would take your social security card and marriage license to the driver's license bureau where you would get a driver's license ,in Michigan it's the Secretary of State they will tell you what documents you need to change your last name and you may have to contact Social Security also

You can change your name in the USA very easily, some states through the courts and sometimes just filling out a name change request. Then, of course, you will have to update all of your documents.

Jim

Caroline963 wrote:

I didn't want to have 5 different names. Now that I am living here I would like to have a much shorter name being my first and his last.

As this is a complete change (eliminating part of the name, shortening the last name, and adding a new last name),  it's not a simple procedure as changing at the time your marriage license was procured.

Caroline963 wrote:

Does anybody know where I can begin to do this process? Who do I contact or where do I go?

First, you'll need to have your fingerprints taken (search online for locations near you), then submit it to TX Department of Public Safety and the FBI to get a fingerprint card (insignificant fee.)

Then you'll need to fill out Original Petition for Change of Name of an Adult, and Order Granting Change of Name of an Adult (forms are available at county court), have both forms notarised, then submit the originals, 3 copies, fingerprinting card, and your photo ID to the courthouse.  The filing fee is high in TX, between $250 - $350.  You'll receive a hearing date when the judge can hear (read) your petition.

At the hearing date, the judge will ask the reason you want your name change.  After s/he signs the Order Granting Change of Name, you'll file it with the court clerk so s/he can stamp it.  Make sure to pay for a few certified copies because you'll need them.

Caroline963 wrote:

Can I just start using my new name and get an ID and not have any problems here?

No, you cannot.  Yes, you'll encounter a lot of problems .

You must notify Social Security Administration of the change and request a new card with new last name (free) using one of the certified copies.  Until SSA recognises your new name, no agency in the entire country will.

Caroline963 wrote:

Will I have to change my Green Card, passport, resident card, birth and marriage certificate?

With the new SS card, you'll submit a request for new DL from TX DMV (insignificant fee). 

The name on your passport MUST match the name on your DL, green card (I don't know the cost), and resident card (don't know the fee on this either), else you cannot pass through Homeland Security when you travel, so you'll need a new passport ($110).

You cannot change the name on your marriage license because that was your legal name at the time of your wedding and that's how it was registered with the court.

Caroline963 wrote:

Do I have to notify brazil? Will I have any problems if I one day want to visit Brazil?

That, I don't know.

What US state are you in?