The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in the Cayman Islands

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in the Cayman Islands. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in the Cayman Islands?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Grand Cayman - the only economically productive of our three Islands - has about 40,000 expats in its total population of 65,000. Its main industries are "offshore finance" of several kinds, tourism, and construction. Of the 40,000 expats, about 25,000 are on annual Work-Permits, the rest are immigrants. There is a certain amount of tension between bloodline-Caymanians and expats, but virtually none among the expat communities themselves.

The expats comprise 100 or so nationalities, of which the largest are (not in order) Jamaican and other Caribbeans, Latin American countries, Canada & USA, Britain & European, Indian, and Filipino. The official language is English, and migrant workers are supposed to pass a basic test of their ability to speak it. Other languages heard in the shops are mainly Spanish and Filipino (Tagalog).

Anybody looking to work in Cayman should Google the online magazine "Cayman New Resident", which contains more useful information than I can summarise here. It might also be helpful to read some of my personal blog-posts, at http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com.
The earlier posts, beginning in 2010, usually addressed some of the problems faced by expat residents; my target audience at the time comprised the readers of my regular columns in one of the local newspapers. Not much has changed since then, and the content of those posts is still relevant.