Finding Part Time Work In Xiamen or Fuzhou China

Hi dear friends, I would appreciate any advice.

My name is Jelena, I am Serbian and I will be visiting China soon.

My partner is a pilot and he will be working month on month off for local airline company in either Xiamen or Fuzhou in China. (these days we will find out which  city). I would like to make some contacts while being there with him and try to find out if it is at all manageable for me to find a part-time English teaching job that can fit his schedule. Few notes:

-Serbs do not need Visa to be in China (as tourists)
-I am English teacher
-I would like to work either at private language school or at some rich family teaching their kids English, but my main concern is how Chinese see the concept of "part time" and how flexible I can be while arranging my job details.
Does PART TIME mean working continuously 5 days a week, 4 hours a day, or I can teach one month, make a break and then continue teaching...Are they, at all, that flexible??

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you so much!

Jelena

Congratulations for moving to China. Here are some points;

To teach English, you will need a ESL or TSOL (or equivalent) diploma.
You also need two years of verifiable experience.
And a 4 year college diploma.
And proof of no criminal background.
And a job offer.

It is pretty easy if you come from one of the top five English speaking nations, otherwise, you will have a harder time. Do not let that scare you. You will be able to find work.

You salary will be based on your personality. If you are attractive, female, and personable, you will have the best chance to make good money.

Full time is 20 hours teaching and 20 hours non-classroom lesson planning / marketing. The mix can vary, but that's about average. Less than full time is achievable but it will mostly be at training centers. If you work at a training center, please expect to have flexible hours, and to work most every weekend and evening.

However...

You will not be able to work unless you get a Z-visa.
Z-visas will only be given to full time employees, and you will need to sign a two year contract.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks so much!

Just make sure to not work on a tourist visa.

globaltimes.cn/content/963704.shtml