Planning on moving to Italy via marriage but have some questions

Hello everyone!  I am planning on going to Italy in April to marry my fiancé.   I am US citizen and he is Italian national living in italy.  We have all the necessary paperwork and have confirmed with the local town hall we have the corrects documents.
So the plan is after we are married and have the marriage certificate, to apply for my residency card as a family member.

Fiancé has his own business and is doing well, owns his own house etc, can prove he can take care of me.
My biggest concern about being denied for residency is that I was arrested in 2012 for misdemeanor charges that were later dropped. (this is my only arrest or infraction with the law ever) I live in New York and the charges were in New york and have supposedly been sealed according to how misdemeanor charges are handled and sealed here.  I am wondering if this will effect my chances at all?  I couldn't find any specific information anywhere... the US has a very specific list of crimes that will deny you citizenship, but couldn't find the Italian equivalent. 
Edit: these are NOT drug related charges. 

In general, how hard is it to get a residency card via this route?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :)

A police clearance certificate from the US, which is the only document in which any mention of this (charges or arrest history) can be present. If a PCC is needed for residency application and if that PCC is clean, then there is nothing to worry I guess.

After marrying an Italian citizen you are entitled for PdS and residency and even gain Italian citizenship fairly quickly. Do not worry, you'll be fine.
Janin

Thanks! I didn't realize such a thing existed.  I'll look into getting one just in case

Janingal wrote:

After marrying an Italian citizen you are entitled for PdS and residency and even gain Italian citizenship fairly quickly. Do not worry, you'll be fine.
Janin

Thank you!!! :)

After marrying your Italian husband, you will get a permesso di soggiorno that will last for five years. Two weeks before the expiry date, you can apply to have it renewed as a carta di soggiorno which has no expiry date. These documents do not require any Criminal Record Checks.

After two years of marriage, and legal residency in Italy, you can apply for citizenship. However, in this case, you will need to present a criminal record check and have it legalized by the American consulate.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please

Ciao, once you are married don't worry about the residency your husband will process it for you by the time after marriage...it has nothing to do with your arrest record before.