Planning our move to Spain

Hi Everyone
My husband and I are planning to move to Spain. We like the area around Peniscola, but are not finally decided on this, so any advice you can give would be very gratefully received. 
We want to be within walking distance of the beach, walking distance to local shops and restaurants, and somewhere that is mainly Spanish, and not a massive Brit community.
We are coming over in a few months to start house hunting, so still in the early stages of our research.
Thanks for any help you can give
Ellen

I'm going over in June to visit Almunecar it's in the south, but it Costa Tropical, not Costa Del Sol, so more Spanish.
I'v been communicating with the Wagoner family who has lived there for 5 years.

This will be our 2nd fact finding trip.   We're from Atlanta, good luck on your search.

Are you planning to live in Spain?
We have had two trips over there now, one in the Valencia region and one near to Almeria.  Our preference at the moment is Peniscola, so we are going in September to really explore the area
Ellen

We are planning n retiring in 2 years.  The Costa Tropical area is has less tourist,

It still gets busy in August, but nothing like other parts of the coast.

Los Alcazares on the south coast near Murcia is a lovely place and still very Spanish. Holding is very good value as well

Housing is very good value as well

I'm curious -

Why Peniscola, Ellen?

Hi Ellen,
Your post was in 2018, and I'm curious if you and your husband did find your forever home (maybe in Peniscola?) My husband and I live in California (U.S.) and are hoping to retire to Spain in 3 more years.  We were supposed to visit in Sept. 2020, but flights were cancelled due to Covid.  We are considering Denia for retirement, so we'll be exploring that area, and also towns on the route to Sitges like Peniscola, Cambrils, Salou, etc.  We have re-scheduled our trip to May 2021, and God-willing this Pandemic will quiet down by then.  I'm sorry to hear about the surge in Spain.  Let me know what you (and anyone else reading this) think of Denia please. Thank you!
Take care, Donna Montgomery

I've heard Dania is really beautiful and there are a lot of yatchs so if you are into sailing it'd be perfect.

Denia and yachts.