Moving to Edinburgh, need some inside thoughts

Hi,
Me and my family decide to move to Edinburgh, for many good reasons , but first of all is to give our son (13y)  a good education enviroment. Because i'm planning this move without any pre signed contract, i'll settle myself for a few months, and my wife and my son will join me, when the school ends, in the summer. I've read as much as i could about "things to do ASAP", like: have an adress/NIN/bank account/Job Center, ... In the beggining i might need a room / small flat rented untill they arrive, and when they will arrive i' ll search for a 2 bedrooms flat within a good seccondany school catchment area. I have 10+ experience in logistics but I will accept other jobs in the beginning and i've target the B category (20y license) driver job as a quicker oportunity, i will finish also C categ and CPC certificate until March. Regarding wages, it depends of standars and habits, i'll try to be as strict as i can regarding money :). Sorry for not having them asked separated, because they are more "related to" questions, but you can answer them one by one if helps
1.it's usefull to apply to jobs untill i'm there or its better to start this process once i'm there.
2.If some areas are known to be more crawded regarding transport/couriers - or there are everywhere and i shoud search best price.
3.Any other informations you may have, and could be usefull regarding this process.

In the hope i've been as concise as i could,

We thank you in advance for any informations you might share with us

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section; as an EU citizen, you don't have to worry too much about the immigration side, but you may find some useful information in our Expat Guides.

I work in Logistics.  For jobs; there are plenty of driving jobs in the UK.  You can check out our Jobs section at the top of the page.  Alternatively, I'd try LinkedIn, there are plenty of jobs on there and also many of the recruiters look around there.

For cost of living; check out the Numbeo Website; this link will take you there.

You mention you'll have your CPC and your Class C (HGV) licence, you might want to consider getting your ADR (I recommend all classes, less 1 and 7, packages and tanks) as well - you'll find that you'll become very desirable and command the highest salary with that certificate.

Once you've read our guides, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team