Can a bride's father refuse to transfer sponsorship to husband?

Hello,

I am an American Muslim who recently married a Yemeni woman in Saudi Arabia. We had the full consent of the family and everything was going well. However, her family has recently been making unreasonable demands and want to maintain control over their daughter (prevent her from traveling with me, etc). He father is refusing to transfer sponsorship to me and he will not issue travel permission for her.

It is my understanding that the current sponsor has to go to the jawazat court and fill out paperwork to transfer the sponsorship. But what if he will not do this? Does the father maintain a right to keep the sponsorship under Saudi law?

She is my wife now and I would think there is some way to appeal this if the father refuses to do the right thing.

Hello,
As fare as I know, she needs to update her information in the government system and it will automatically be transferred to you. This is the case for Saudi women, when she gets married she updates her information from Ahwal ID offices, but I am not sure about Yamani laws.
Good luck

I believe she is subject to the same system as Saudi women.

I am sorry to ask but I am a complete novice to all of these processes. When you say "update her information," what does that mean?

Unfortunately, this is not the case of just updating. His father must give consent in written to complete transfer formalities from passport office. Not sure what happens if he refuses but you haven't provided all details. Do you have marriage contract from court here?

Yes, I have a marriage contract from Saudi, since we married here in the court.

I'm also worries because her father's Saudi sponsor is dead and he is keeping that secret from the government. If they find out, everyone gets deported to Yemen, including my wife.

Hi,
If her father doesnt speaks english involve a local. If he is English speaker, inform him politely that his daughter is officially married now and not his responsibility anymore. She must be legally under the sponsorship of her husband.
Try to know the reasons, as it is possible that he cant issue her exit re-entry due to the situation you stated above.
If you are in Jeddah I can help you....and you can inbox the answer and details.

it means that when a women is getting married, it is done only by papers and no one is responsible for changing her status other than her. So, she gets married she takes the marriage certificate and take an appointment by Ahwal Website  goes to the ID offices. I believe it does not take a long time.

when I got married I did not need my fathers permission so I can be transferred to my husband. My husband went him self to Ahwal and updated his information, hence mine. We are both Saudi. After getting my divorce I was by my husbands name until I went and updated my info. and then It was back to my father.

Elaa923 wrote:

when I got married I did not need my fathers permission so I can be transferred to my husband. My husband went him self to Ahwal and updated his information, hence mine. We are both Saudi. After getting my divorce I was by my husbands name until I went and updated my info. and then It was back to my father.

Saudi's case is different vs expats...ella ella eh eh under my umbrella eh eh eh eh eh

:lol::lol:

Elaa923 wrote:

Hello,
As fare as I know, she needs to update her information in the government system and it will automatically be transferred to you. This is the case for Saudi women, when she gets married she updates her information from Ahwal ID offices, but I am not sure about Yamani laws.
Good luck

This is not the case for non-saudi at all :( they need to transfer her ID otherwise there's no proof that she's his wife but the marriage certificate.