Shipping furniture to DR

I just googled Mudanza in Miami and a lot comes up, but most looks like regular moving companies (drive only) they do appear to be international and ship out of many countries, but didn't see a Miami location (for internatiomal shipping) if anyone has address and number I'd like it....thanks☺

A mudanza is a shipper
They ship door to door USA to RD very economically
I ship out of NYC but MIA has plenty too

In Miami try Montero

Yes you must have residency approval before your belongings can be shipoed.

You are not crazy as I remember the post you are referring to.  It's not yet cleared through customs and we are waiting for the poster to update us. Hopefully they do!

This process is not simple especially if you don't speak Spanish.  I need to find time to update the thread on residency.

Is there anything you need to do other than have Residency to ship your furnishings tax exempt? Do you need any other paperwork completed beforehand?

Most likely yes. You need a detailed list of what you are shipping. Have available any and all purchase receipts regardless of how old they are.  Don't buy new just to ship!  They can and will apply tax or " propina" to these items.  You will get away with 2 or 3 TV for a couple but not likely to be able to bring 5 with some being brand new.

They charge by the pound. You order your stuff and sent them your invoice. Then when it arrives in DR, they invoice you. They even deliver.

You have to set up an account first. You can get an airfreight and a maritime address. Shipping by boat is better for some things, air for others. They will tell you. You have to have a deposit with them, pay on-site, or by international wire transfer. My experience with them has been very positive.

**this is not for the big, move all your belongings kind of move. It is for things you might want but cannot find or find logistically easier to order, pay for, and have delivered.

http://www.cpssosuacabarete.com

I was travelling today...
and lost my post this morning.

this is waaay overthinking.

Mudanzas are door to door shippers - USA to Rep Dom.
Their fee has all the dock/customs clearances in it.

I ship major appliances, BBQs, lawn mowers...
Residency is not an issue.

Your furniture will arrive... cleared.
Shipping a container of household goods id a different matter sometimes

I have shipped BIG stuff... 8ftx4ftx4ft.. in custom made crates..
Armoires, chairs...you name it.... by Mudanza

EXAMPLE
they sell 'tanques' - barrels to us.. about 45-50 gal ones.
Fill w/ what you want... about $135

The CPS, Aeropost... MIA box shippers are for paperweights...nothing big for me
too rich $$$$$$$$$$$

My last box was 2ft by 2ft by 2ft....$30/35.... NYC to my door step

I have one on its way for $100....
all packed (by them) in a dishwasher box with added height....

You should really investigate this option... zero hassle and about 2 week delivery

NYC & MIA are full of them.... really need to be there... or ship there as I do

Home Depot Sale - Free Ship... Mudanza delivers.
Like all things Dominican - you need to build your network

my shipper is Awlida... NYC & STI..
There are tons more

I have gone to the archives...
must be Good Samaritan Day
This week, I dropped off a cooler (22" long +/-) which I bought at Dick's for $20 on sale.
I filled it with what I wanted and had Awilda wrap in cellophane.

Also, I had a power washer shipped (free) to them for forwarding to me..... $165 electric one, new.
Dimensions 24'Hx12"x12"

Price for both to me in Cabrera......$75

Pretty good price, I think.

and so easy ...
--------------------------------------------------------------
More

Vinicio in FL
Embarque Bella Vista...NJ/NY
Montero FL &NY... might be $$$\
CarmenCargo Express
Martinez CargoFL
------------------------------------------------------------------------
endorsement
Last week on Long Island, I sent two large Items, One Long & heavy , a Console table Flat Packed & One Marble Sofa Table Also heavy, both cost $ 140.00 to ship from Embarque Jarabacoa , Roosevelt Long Island to Cabarete door to door. Total time is just over 2-weeks. As for re-packing items You are better off Stating what the item is upfront to the shipper , they give a you a price & the rest is thier worry.-
==============================================
Germany Aug 2017
Review: Awilda Shipping
We recently shipped in total a total of 11 large and relatively heavy boxes from Germany to Puerto Plata (from Germany up until New York with DHL, then with Awilda), and just wanted to post this review, as this mudanza was also recommended by William Webster on this forum.

So: Can recommend, excellent service from the beginning to the end. We sent the parcels from Germany on August 12th and they arrived September 11th. The handling of the parcels had been seemingly rough, but that's something you can expect on a long journey like that, and the parcels not being the roughest kind there is.

We were contacted immediately when Awilda had received the shipment. We were given the option to pay everything to the driver when they would arrive, and again, excellent service, the driver confirmed the place of delivery and even asked us to check the contents so that everything was fine.

Once there's need to get some items we need from the US or Europe, will definitely be using them again.

Price: 2363 DOP / box, each having a weight of about 40-60 lbs and the dimensions of a large moving parcel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Samaritan is exhausted after EWR this AM.....

I could go on & on....

Once you get the drift - Snowflake- you'll be fine.

No residency needed... pay at ship or on receipt....weight not a factor

A MUST if you live here..... Creo yo!!!!

Quick question... If you buy items, pack on your own, and sent to reshipper address, do you include the original receipts in the package? Or do you copy and send to the shipper digitally?

I have never included a receipt - nor been asked for one.

They use a different system at the docks....

I pack my things - or have him pack them.... that's it.

At times we list contents.... Houshold items.

Much less complicated than Encargo Pac , CPS et al

If it's mail forwarder then put a copy in the package and upload digitally. Never part with your original receipt.

👍👍 Gracias

The best thing about the Mudanza system is avoiding the bureaucratic morass .

In 10 yrs... I have had ZERO problems.

I am thoroughly confused by this system. We are taking some mattresses, recliner, 3 tvs, maybe 10 boxes. So we could drive it to Miami and use a mundanza to ship to our house in the DR.  would we still need residency to avoid taxes and duty?  Do they transfer our stuff into containers to ship?  What kind of cost?  Thank you in advance

Using a regular Maritime shipper you need residencia.  Using barrels you can avoid this but your items don't fit into barrels so that is out.

Contact a mudanza - contacts above I believe - and ask. 

If you are shipping house contents don't expect to bypass the need for residency.  Expect to have to pay your taxes.

As Planner says... contact a mudanza.
Residency isn't an issue

You can pack them - or they will.
All the boxes go into a container for shipment...then sorted in the DR for local delivery-
box by box.

Cost will vary... the TVs have a standard 'per inch' price
Boxes typically $30-35 each

MIA and northern FLA  is on the list above

I disagree. There are so many things you cannot find in the D.R. and you will find yourself buying imported goods for 3 or 4 times the price of the same items in the States. It's a huge transition no matter what you do. But it is so much harder if you try to start all over.  Bring whatever you want. You will even need jackets and warm scarves in the D.R. in the evening.  Cut down on Winter Clothes and tons of heavy bedding. But for $5-$7K for a whole shipping container load of your things? I dumped everything for a move across the US and it took me years to get over leaving some of the stuff behind.

First welcome to the forums.

In addition to the cost of the actual moving you will pay sales tax of 18% plus duty on everything you move IF you do not use the residency exemption!  That is a huge chunk of.money potentially!  And understand that the tax and duty is applied on the assessed value - meaning whatever customs decides!  Calculate carefully and then decide what best for you.

I also disagree on prices. I have found that nothing is 3 or 4 times more expensive.  So tell me some examples of the things you are referring to please!

Thank you for the welcome.  In our case since we are fast-tracking our residency status due to creating a D.R. company, we are allowed to move our first entire household of items at no import tax or duty. The pain is that they open the container and every single box to inspect it. But the people we were working with built a huge complex of condos and town houses and have helped 36 families through the process. She said she only knows of one dinner plate being broken.  And we also verified this information with the local attorney who is creating  our company, setting up our D.R. bank account and taking care of the property purchase. If we were not doing that, yes we would have to pay some fees other than the cost of shipping.

Common items such as US made Potato Chips. Cosmetics and anything else with a Made in the USA stamped on it.  It was all through the roof.  We also quickly learned you don't buy meat more than a day before you want to cook it.  But there are some amazing things that are grown locally that we enjoyed at really low prices.  They tried the "gringo" prices and we just  walked away. They quickly lowered their prices. Years living in Southern California and buying stuff in Mexico paid off. :)

It's not just 'Fast Track' residency that gets the import allowance--
ALL residencies qualify.

Did you bring a car - Reduced rates for those too

I shipped car/furniture.... the works

They spot checked my inventory list.....
Caucedo is the preferred port

Not exactly. Husband was born in South Korea. Why do you ask?

Not sure where you are shopping honey but I don't find the prices as bad as you say.  We're you shopping as a tourist on a resort.or.something? 

I can get almost anything here.  Where the price difference is too high or I can't find what I want I simply buy on eBay or.amazon.

On imported items expect to pay premium and of course sales tax.  At most I spend 20 to 40% more.  Rarely double.the price and never triple in 16 and a half years here.

We are in the process. We have bought the place there,  but have to pack up and sell our US home.
About the cars: Husband has a Tesla Model 3 that he wants to bring. But it's only a year old and he can't ship it yet. I think it's crazy. But it's his car. I will sell my pickup and replace it at some point after we move. We are not retiring and need things for our work that would be either hard or impossible to replace. 

And, as I said, I am making a life change but I still have a history. And some of it won't fit in a suitcase or replaceable at the Ikea, (which I am thrilled to find is close to us). I think we will end up with one 20x8x8. Not looking forward to that. It is comforting to hear that someone didn't have every box opened and placed on the ground around the container.

Where are you living? We bought a Townhouse in Las Terrenas. We deliberately avoided the more touristy areas. We shop at Supermercado Lindo and Supermercado Palo. But we also buy from some of the little local produce sellers and street sellers. Our realtor has been there for 15 years and showed us several good places to shop as well.

Thank you for the tip.  We were not looking forward to the inspection aspect.

Hmmm
having trouble following some of the posts...

Las Terrenas is considered by some to be 'touristy'
Nagua - not so much

Buy local- buy right and things are affordable - very affordable

Anyway - best of luck

Check out the charging capability for that Tesla
It's good to ship after 1 yr of ownership

There is a metered electrical outlet at each parking space where we bought. But the way people drive in Las Terrenas is not very conducive to owning a car with no place to get it easily repaired.  I am sure we will make some regretful errors.  But I am happy to have found this group. 

We are in North Carolina.  Where are you originally from?

Have a good evening. And thanks for the info.

83,000 peso is over $1500. That sounds pretty steep to me. I hear you want to avoid new stuff and stuff that is worth over $250.  I  am absolutely not looking forward to any of this part of the move.  Once we get there it will be fine.  Fortunately be have a decent Spanish vocabulary and we both read and speak it. Problem is that they speak SO FAST and drop the 's' on everything. Plus some of the words are totally different. But we are able to navigate the more difficult things by using phone translation programs.

Anyway, I am about to turn into a pumpkin. Catch you later.  :)

Sometimes it seems you are combining posts or responding to I am not sure who.

If you send a container you can't include brand new items. They must have been used by you.  You can't load.up on items either. A household if two people would allow two televisions but not four.   

The 250 dollar comment relates to using a mail forwarder from here.  And that is incorrect.  When here if you purchase items online,.or someone does it from there and send to you here  we use a mail forwarder out of Miami.  Purchases In a single package.must have a value under $200 including shipping to Miami.  And then you pay shipping at price per pound and or size to the DR.

Tigerink wrote:

There is a metered electrical outlet at each parking space where we bought. But the way people drive in Las Terrenas is not very conducive to owning a car with no place to get it easily repaired.  I am sure we will make some regretful errors.  But I am happy to have found this group. 

We are in North Carolina.  Where are you originally from?

Have a good evening. And thanks for the info.

Great about the outlet.... Tesla worries going down a bit !!
It's about 115-120 miles to Sto Domingo for you..... say 250 R/T

I am Cdn originally, transplanted to Philadelphia and then Cabrera
Moved here in 2009.

Driving is bad all over - calls for extra caution and 6 eyeballs -
4 in front , 2 behind

I would bring all the furniture etc you can.

The familiar surroundings cushion the relocation
Gave us quite a bit of comfort --- feeling like 'home'

We have friends who have already lived where we are moving for a year. They are business people like us and they are ahead of us on figuring out the mail system, etc. I understand about the mail service and how it works.  And we were told that new stuff or lots of a single item is a problem. Or can be. I am a fine artist and natural crafter and instructor. I will be running my workshops via YouTube. But I still need my art supplies and lots of them. Tools, machines, etc. All will be used. We are still trying to figure which port is best and a few other things.

And yes, I may be responding to more than one post.  Kind of figured that out last night.

Thank you for your help. We have done 100s of hours of research and will continue to do that. But posts like this are extremely helpful. My husband is a software engineer. I am a professional artist, photographer and designer. We hope to bring a positive presence to the area. The one thing we are still  trying to find is a church. But we can also  do that part online (live streaming) for awhile if needed.

Thank you for your energetic and well operated system. I operated an online chat with 200 regulars for a few years. It's no simple task.

The Church part will be easy.....

I will recommend the port in Santo Domingo/ Boca Chica!  It is the easiest to work with, only two hours from Punta Cana.   

If you need an excellent english speaking customs agent let me know!

I think that's Caucedo

https://caucedo.com/

Boca Chica address........very close to the airport
My 40ft container arrived there

Hispaniola Freight was my agent
Wendoline DePena

Yes !!!

Hello again. I had a horrible thought after our last chat and I hope you can clarify this question for me. I am a fine artist and natural crafter. I have whole bolts of art canvas and 100s of skeins of yarn that I use in my work. Knitting machines (5 of them all used) but they yarn is still in the belly bands. And 100s of yards of fabric. Mostly a few yards each but some are 10 to 12 yards. And 5 sewing machines of different kinds. I will have barrels of yarn, for example. Will I have a problem getting that into the country? I bought all of it for less than a $1 a skein at a local thrift store and used to knit caps and donated most of them to our church for local needy people.  HELP. I cannot find these things there and I really need to find a way to bring them with me. I also have open cases of art paper, probably close to 200,000 sheets. Same story, Got open boxes and packs from the thrift store. Can't find that there. Not in the amounts I need. I teach workshops on YouTube.

If you are using it for work then it can't be part of your personal house contents that is exempt from some taxes with residencia. 

That's the technical response. In fact I do not know what they will do.  You need to be asking a lawyer and or customs agent! Your case isn't normal and none of here know enough to help.  We will all be soeculating at this point, including me.

Also think about how and where you will store all of this!  High humidity will destroy a lot of your supplies if not properly stored.  And that could get expensive.

We are originally from Texas (me) to So Cal for most of my life. Hubby from South Korea to Washington State to So Cal to marry me. Then we moved to Raleigh 15 years ago. He works in the Tech Triangle. I am a freelance artist.