Where to rent a apartment?

Hello,

I am a Canadian female who is trying to move to the Dominican Republic for a few months, year or more depending on the contract. I am at looking at English teaching jobs as well as call centers. After a lot of research, I have learned that pay is not extremely well for those jobs which I am completely fine with considering the amazing tropic life. I am a simple girl, I don't need a lot but I do have to be smart and like budgeting/ saving. What areas are better for me to consider budget- wise? Let's say for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment.

I want to be looking at jobs where I can at least live comfortably. Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome to the forums!  So  jobs teaching English -  are you accredited? These jobs don't pay much either and you will need to be qualified to make any decent amount of money.

Call centers -  no  one will give you a contract.  There are plenty of jobs and you will make about  US  600 a month to start.   That is about  29,000 RD a month.

That is not enough to live on "comfortably". I guess it will very much depend on your definition of comfortable.

The place with the most jobs will be Santo Domingo.  You could live here in a barrio fairly cheaply but not comfortably.   

To get a call center job you will need your residencia and your Dominican cedula. As soon as you apply they will be willing to hire you.

Almost any job these days requires the Dominican Cedula. The gov't is cracking down on illegal hires. 

I am pretty sure this is not what you wanted to hear honey but it is current reality.

Hello Planner,

I appreciate your reply. I will apply for the residency and the Dominican Cedula as soon as I secure a job. And yes, I am certified to teach.

For my definition of comfortable, as long as my place has basic amenities. Water, stove, fridge, a fan... I'm happy. Not too many demands. I understand it is hard to start in any country and I'm going with an open mind. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into Santo Domingo!

Unfortunately it will be hard to secure a job without your papers in hand.  It really helps you are certified!  :D

Come down for a visit and hit all the places who may need your services honey. Then you have to go back home to start the residency process.

Hi Imanka,

Planner gave you the starting point. You can find more info about how to get the residencia browsing the forum.

It is better you try to find out an apartment as close as possible to your job, in the same quarter would be the best. Sto Dom is a spread-out city, commuting daily can be exhausting using the public transport, it can also be unsecure sometimes , so, avoiding to travel through bad neighborhoods is a must for you.  Let's also mention the cost, even if guaguas are cheap, you could spend up to 2,000 RD$ a month only to go to work. As the pay is not huge, better spare the money and the strain.

Think you will need to buy food where you'll live, you must have a supermarket or at least a colmado not far from home, otherwise you will be obliged to waste time and spend money and energy in public transport.

It is probably in the Distrito Nacional (city center) that the companies you are looking for are located, check this out. It is also the best area to live ( I mean the cleanest and the safest), unfortunatly it is the most expensive. Try to find out a furnished room, round 5,000/7,000 RD$, I bet it is possible.

Remember to subscribe to a Dominican health insurance +/- 1,500 RD$ a month.

I hope your dreams come true.

Que te vaya bien

G.V.

Good info!

Hello G.V.

Thank you for the great advice. I will look into the area you mentioned and great tip on the transport and grocery. You are right I do have to be safe. I will be travelling and living alone.

I appreciate all the pointers and well wishes. May all your dreams come true as well :)