Spass

Hi everyone i just want to ask if theres anyone here encounter the same experience as mine...   my agency is applyng an spass for me..i have diploma with for year course, i have 5 years of experience in f&b and as assitant supervisor in the philippines.. its my fisrt time here in sg.. at the Self assessment tool it showed that im not illigible for the spass when the agency put 2200 for my wages but once she put 2600 the result is elligible.. but then she still key in my documents with 2200 since thats the instruction of the compnay... now what are my chances to get the spass? Thanks

If the SAT says you are not eligible then your chances are Zero.

Ouch! Why did employer push through the application 😭

Possibly because they don't know what they're doing?

U think i really have a zero chance with this? Even if will just have trouble with wage? I do accept the minimum since its my first time to work here

If MoM's SAT tool says you will not get an S-Pass at S$2200/month, then MoM will not give you an S-Pass at S$2200/month. Really!
You need to get a salary in line with your market value, because MoM will not allow foreigners to distort the local pay structure.

Okay thanknyou... that means im not waiting for anything now! Hopefully the compnay is willing to adjust with the salary for me to qualified.. i know theres a chance that the conpnay will withdraw my application for them not to give extra salary

Good luck!
But you should not put your hopes very high. Better look for another employer - preferably directly and without agents (they only create problems!).

I actually applied directly to the company but it was the compnay who contacted the agency. Thank you

If the agent role in this case is an outsourcing vendor whose work is to apply pass application online and provide documents to MoM etc. on behalf of the company then they have no rights to increase your salary to $2600 where as your actual salary is $2200. This is a clear case of distortion. Don't adopt such tactics when applying pass application as MoM is very strict and any wrong findings will only create an issue. If you read MoM site it says $2200 salary is for the eligibility to apply S pass, but in real the barcode for approval of S pass is much higher. As Beppi said try your luck with a new employer who is willing to pay more salary or as per the market value of your position. Good luck

I totally understand that the agency have no any rights to adjust my salary... it was the company that i mentioned... that im hopeful that they are willing to adjust for me to qualify.. because the agency told me that the company i applied for are sometimes adjusting the salary if its the only cause of spass being rejected.. i have a pure and clean intention for working.. i will not agree to a wrongful doin just to get a job sir. Thanks

As expected, my application for Spass get rejected.. and the reason ?? SALARY 😭

Sorry to hear, but it was expected if you look into recent trend in the market. Try to find a new employer who can pay salary as per the current market trend. Good luck

I have another question... As i read somethng from other topic... is contract really need to happen first bfore the spass being process?

Which contract are you referring? You mean between employer and employee (job offer letter)?

Yes

My first spass application get rejected beacuse of salary, now What are my chances if i get another employer who offers me 2600 salary?

Can't say, you can check what's the market standard for a 5yrs experienced person looking for a job in F&B sector. But, certainly better chance than the earlier offer of $2200. Good luck

Hi Klengbabe. We have the same scenario. Im also a Filipino. The agency applied Epass for me last 17th Jan, as per MoM website, it's still pending, i have 5 years experience also as Assistant Restaurant Manager here in the Philippines, my employer offered me 2600, and when i used the SAT, it shows that i am eligible for Spass only, but the agency applied Epass, but as of this moment it is still pending.

Hi Surya, may i ask if it is normal for an agency to ask placement fee to applicant which is equivalent to his/her 1 month basic salary?

Klengbabe: Yes, an employer can only apply for an S-Pass (or orher work visa) for you if you have agreed on an employment contract (which can be verbal or implicit, but it is of course better to have it written).

Princejet: Singapore employment agencies are regulated and cannot charge high fees (in most cases none at all). But if you engaged a foreign agent, other laws might apply.
You should only agree if you are happy to pay for it and if you're sure it's legitimate.

I think at MOM EP is equivalent to SPASS.. its just another term and later on spass will show up when the result is out.. just read at other conversation here

Both EP and Spass are work visas for a foreigner to work in Singapore. But, both have different eligibility criteria and are not same. You can visit MoM website for more details.

Okay thanks  @surya2k and @beppi is the status of application will be change when i have a new application? My agency told me they will key in my documents yesterday.. then upon checking at mom my status still rejected? Thanks

Your status changes when the old application is cancelled and a new one submitted.
This can take a few days or so to be reflected in the online system.

Hi Beppi and Surya,

In my case, i have 2 agencies who process my application, agency here in the Philippines who will process my POEA documents/papers, and another agency there in Singapore (i dont know what's their role)
My agency here in the Phiippines told me that i need to pay placement fee equivalent to my 1 month basic salary which is 2600, in Philippine law its legal to ask placement fee, but my agency here told me that i need to pay also placement fee to my agency there in Singapore, is it Legal there in Singapore to ask placement fee to foreign worker? Because 2600 X 2 is a big money.

Any kind of fees or charges to employee is illegal here. But, there are many such arrangements happening under the table, where the employee and third party agency are indulging in this kind of activities. I would suggest be cautious and don't get into trap. Now a days getting work pass approval is tough, so paying two months salary even before getting your pass approval or before starts your work is not advisable. Good luck

Honestly, I would not pay that much (and definitely not the illegal Singapore portion of it).

Okay. Thanks

Hi Beppi and Surya,

As of this moment, im not giving any amount of money yet. In the Philippines, the standard procedue is the applicant must have contract first validated by POEA, approved pass and IPA, and some required documents/papers before paying placement fee. As i checked MoM website they applied me for Epass last 17th of January and still pending. I'm sad because my agency there in Singapore asking for placement fee, considered that it is illegal. I don't want to waste this oppurtunity because Singapore is a good country and the salary is good compared in the middle east which has a lot of job hirings but offered low salary.

Sorry for my English.

You can take the risk if you think it's worth for you. I shouldn't say yes or no. You already know it's pros and cons, so go ahead. Good luck

Good day Beppi and Surya!

My employer had applied me for an epass last 17th of January, and exactly 1 month today my epass is still pending.

My question is, is there a possibility or a big chance for my epass to get approve if it is still pending for a long period of time? Because as i have read here, when the candidate is rejected the MoM will immediately inform him/her. In my case, i had no experience that the MoM asked me for some additional documents.

My details:
Filipino
27 years old
With Bachelors Degree
With almost 6 years experience as
Assistant Restaurant Manager
1st time in Singapore
Applied for Epass with 2600 salary

Thank you.

With 6yrs of experiences, offered salary is below market standard. Your employer must have applied for S pass (not an EP). Can't say whether will get approval or not. People also get rejected after a month or two. Each case is different to other, MoM review each application on its merit. Good luck

The length of process gives absolutely NO indication of approval chances. Sorry!
As Surya said, you cannot get an EP on that low salary. And even an S-Pass will be rejected if they think you undercut the local salary market (which I think you do).

During the hiring process, the employer told me that they will apply for me an spass, that was on the 8th of January, but on the 17th as i checked the status, they had applied me an epass, i don't know what is the reason why they had applied me for an epass even they offered 2600 only.

You checked online? Then that is because the system does not differentiate between S-Pass and EP application - both are treated the same.

When i checked it online, it shows that the type of pass that the employer applied for me was "EMPLOYMENT PASS"

Is this considered as Epass only? Or both considered as Spass and Epass? I am confused because the employer told me that they will apply spass for me, but as i checked it online, it shows "EMPLOYMENT PASS"

There are two types of employment pass. One is S pass, which is designed for semi-skilled work forces where minimum eligibility: For educational background- Diploma and minimum salary - $2,200. For EP, minimum educational background - a recognised graduate degree from a recognised university and minimum salary - $3,600. So, these are minimum criteria for eligibility to apply. System may not distinguish both passes as different but SAT assessment does. You can check SAT for your eligibility.

Good day Beppi and Surya!

Just want to inform you that my S PASS had been approved yesterday. After 1 month and 5 days.  Thank you very much for your help guys.

Jeff 😊

Congratulations!