Vietnam temporary residency options

Hi there

I'm an Australian currently in Vietnam on a 3 month tourist visa.

I am in the process of applying for a UK visa, and I can apply for this from Vietnam if I have permission to reside here. I prefer to do this then return to Australia to apply from there.

What are my options to get permission reside in Vietnam? What would be the most suitable visa and what are the requirements.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are couple of sticky threads on Vietnam forum where TRC (Temporary residency) has been discussed in detail. Please refer to those threads to know more about TRC.

In short, Vietnam gives TRC to those ...
- working in VN with a Work Permit or having a business (with license) in VN
- having a VN spouse

If the UK consulate is  strictly asking for a TRC, the options are limited (mentioned above) for you.

OTOH, if they want a proof of your residential address in Vietnam, that can be easily arranged from the Ward level police station while you are on a tourist or business visa.

Thank you, very helpful!

Thank you for this. Very useful.

In that case I am considering a 6 or 12 month business visa. It looks like it is the same process as the tourist visa. Just need to apply online, make payment online, then receive visa letter via email and get visa stamped at Vietnam airport. And as you can get visa on arrival, I'll just need to exit the country, then comeback with that visa letter

Do you know if it is this straightforward and whether any proof or additional documentation is required?

Thanks

Look forward to hearing from you.

AustralianB wrote:

Thank you for this. Very useful.

In that case I am considering a 6 or 12 month business visa. It looks like it is the same process as the tourist visa. Just need to apply online, make payment online, then receive visa letter via email and get visa stamped at Vietnam airport. And as you can get visa on arrival, I'll just need to exit the country, then comeback with that visa letter

Do you know if it is this straightforward and whether any proof or additional documentation is required?

Thanks

Look forward to hearing from you.

It should be straightforward.
You need to check with the visa agent if there's any specific requirement for a 1 yr business visa.
The three/six-month ones are easy to get.
Yes, the same as a tourist VoA (visa on arrival).
Pay online for the letter of approval.
Pay the 'stamping fee' at the airport.

First, you need to be sure that a VN business visa (with address proof) will qualify you to apply for a UK visa from Vietnam.

OK thanks so much. I'll check this first then speak to the visa agent.

Thanks again for your help :)

I thought it was always the case that commonwealth citizens had a right of entry to the UK.  This LinkedIn post https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/all-comm … a-johnson/ seems to say that the right is recent and allows for 6 month visa free entry.  You might want to ask the consulate again.