Dan Hauer scandal

Has anyone seen this? Seems like the whole country is up in arms about what he said on FB.

Been reading this one and it's a bit silly.

A guy who I understand has been in Vietnam for a long time, is fluent in the local tongue and is married to a local might very well have just destroyed his career, get a large fine and be generally ruined, but for what?
I gather from the Vietnamese press, local businesses he worked for have already dumped him and he has to report to officials next week, probably for a verbal spanking, maybe deportation.
A pointless 33 words to get back at a sports fan, and with equally pointless use of bad language could well have finished his career.
I gather the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has ordered he be deported so, if he lasts until next Tuesday, he should take a bag with him when he reports.
I've read the post, so can confirm he was very silly.

Hah, jokes dont translate.

Reminds me of the epic Chinabounder scandal in CHina. Always thought VNese were a bit less hyper-insecure/inadequacy/nationalism complex though. Guess not.

He doesn't seem to be smart with making apologies. The guy made a video on FB giving some BS reason for saying it and didn't really appear to be sincere doing it and then turned around posting disparaging comments about the people responding to his apology. He needs to shut up and let this thing boils over. Move to Thailand for a year and then come back. What a waste! He had so much going on for him before this whole thing started.

Hang on, I've just read the whole lot after being prompted by seeing the OP of this thread.
He dissed the national football team, then a Vietnamese national hero, then defended himself with more insults against the Vietnamese.

His Facebook page shows a video with an apology, but he went on to refer to locals as Hanoi massive ****holes in a post of four hours ago.

MasterofDisaster wrote:

Reminds me of the epic Chinabounder scandal in CHina. Always thought VNese were a bit less hyper-insecure/inadequacy/nationalism complex though. Guess not.

That was some years ago, just as stupid, just as likely to cause problems and, just to finish off, just as likely to have got him in serious trouble had he been nabbed by the local cops.
We all have to learn to respect local ideals, or at least shut up about sensitive ones, when we live as a guest in someone else's country.

where to read in full?. youtub4e is all in viet

Search for his name on FB Daniel Hauer

The local press is also full of the story.

Yet another reason n6ot to learn VNese..

If he has any self-respect or remorse, he should get a VN flag tatooed on his behind

Can anyone Quote (what he said or  wrote in black and white without anyone's opinion being brought into it ?

I don't speak or understand written vietnamese

yioti wrote:

Can anyone Quote (what he said or  wrote in black and white without anyone's opinion being brought into it ?

Based on a couple of posts I've seen so far he made a joke about piercing/shaving his balls so they resemble the Vietnamese general. It was a stupid joke that shouldn't have been made in the first place given his 'celebrity' status in Vietnam. He was a tool even before the scandal. See the link below.

http://xecuatui.vn/dan-hauer-noi-gi-sau … t2913.html

yioti wrote:

https://goo.gl/images/sfkEka

Looking at his use of bad language, I would judge him a terrible teacher anyway but, when add all the insults, he seems to be amazingly bad.

The dude doesn't look like the type that would stir up this kind of shit (he kinda looks like Moby) but I guess you can't judge a dude's character or his mental stability by his looks.

Thank you Fred for the Link.
Yes from what i see not only did he shoot himself in the foot once but repeatedly
All the comments and responses I have seen prior now make a lot of sense

1) opening with foul language, something most Vietnamese will feel offended by immediately
2) referred to a Vietnamese  (whether famous or not famous) in a rude way
3) he expected his followers to understand the so claimed irony
3) his irony (if it is as he claims) is not even funny, certainly not in Vietnam, i see it as a put down
4) tries to defend himself by explaining what irony is (it appears he expected he would be not understood prior to publishing but chose to still publish rather than play safe)
5) did not consider the sensitivity of his audience enough given he clearly knows a lot of people follow him
6) behaved very unprofessionally and in a rude manner for a teacher who is considered someone very intelligent in this country
7) showed he also has no respect to Christians
8) he chose to react rather than ignore or pass off subtly one of the comments on his FB page

how easy it is to go from being respected and famous to being a has been with one statement
even as a foreigner it has made me think/feel differently of him after this
maybe a good example to show or quote to newly arrived foreigners to give them some perspective

And then there's this Vietnamese blogger in Ireland I follow,  he said......  Hahahaha

I didn't see a proper link to an article covering this (sorry if I missed it).  Here is what I found:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/ameri … 04510.html

The ironic thing is that Vo Nguyen Giap was and is highly respected in US military circles.  His strategic thought is taught at the US Army war college.

Giap died when I was living in HCMC.  To me there was somber recognition but not a great national mourning as there might have been in Hanoi.  I recall reading at the time that he had actually fallen out of favor since reunification in part because of his environmental activism which will likely be justified over time if it hasn't been already.

From one of his other posts:  "I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that American football is so much more entertaining than what everyone else in the world calls football." 

111.9 million people watched the US Superbowl while 3.2 billion (with a B) watched the last World Cup final..  He seems to lack a sense of proportionality.  It really should read "what people in the US call football."

R.Soles R Us 2nite hey?

thanks for the extra info, i also found that too after posting my article.
Surprisingly he is not savaged and it is written in a calm manner stating the facts but it also doesn't look good for Dan from this article also.

Fred provided a link earlier if you scroll back you will find it just after my first post

THIGV wrote:

From one of his other posts:  "I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that American football is so much more entertaining than what everyone else in the world calls football." 

111.9 million people watched the US Superbowl while 3.2 billion (with a B) watched the last World Cup final..  He seems to lack a sense of proportionality.  It really should read "what people in the US call football."

I noticed a pile of dog poop on a patch of grass near my house.
The brown sausages attracted 111.9 million flies, all eager to get their piece of chocolate.

Real men play rugby, little girls play a version of rugby that requires armour, and I won't be going to America in case the population ever finds out I wrote this post and lynches me. :D

http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Capture318.jpg

Your probably on a border control “watch list” by now Fred.😆

Yogi007 wrote:

Your probably on a border control “watch list” by now Fred.😆

Damn, and I wanted to visit the Epcot Centre and grand canyon before I snuffed it.
I'll get a rubber and get rid of those two items from my bucket list - Luckily, I used a pencil.
Talking of rubbers, I wonder if I can do the listing I noted about Melania when she divorces the Don.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/pencil-eraser-pencil-sharpener-20166820.jpg

THIGV wrote:

The ironic thing is that Vo Nguyen Giap was and is highly respected in US military circles.  His strategic thought is taught at the US Army war college.

Giap died when I was living in HCMC.  To me there was somber recognition but not a great national mourning as there might have been in Hanoi.  I recall reading at the time that he had actually fallen out of favor since reunification in part because of his environmental activism which will likely be justified over time if it hasn't been already.

Agree.
Here in the south there was some respect shown, but nothing  like the north.

I find many Vietnamese hypocrites, many call black people monkies, so much for respect.

I just want to chime in here. (As I am an American, who has always wanted to travel southeast Asia, particularly Vietnam and China, but have always been unable to afford to.) Lately, I have grown exponentially 'tired' of the general attitude of 'disrespect' my fellow countrymen have adopted. (IN GENERAL, AS WELL AS REGARDING OTHER PEOPLES.) For a country that SUPPOSEDLY embraces mutual equality and respect universally,... we only EVER seem to make our presence known in the international news, when we act like  BLARING A-HOLES. (IN AM REMINDED of a particularly upsetting incident a few years back... regarding one of our 'stereotypically overpaid/wealthy' sports personalities shoplifting clothes in China. An offense that has a mandatory 5 year minimum jail time penalty, there. And, then turning it into a 'typical' racism/international incident', when faced with 'facing the responsibility of his jail time.I GUESS IT IS MORE LOGICAL TO POTENTIALLY SEND US TO WAR, RATHER THAN 'BEING A MAN' AND ACTUALLY BEING RESPONSIBLE  FOR YOUR ACTIONS!  YEAH... SUPER SMART!!)
Frankly, this type of 'stupidity' is what usually makes me ashamed to call myself an American. But, sadly, it is (increasingly) the accepted disposition of most Americans. (Most generally, angst the 'pampered/self entitled' economic  ELITES here. The ones who usually have more than enough money to travel freely internationally. I and a large number if my friends are personally offended by this type of behavior.
This type of stupidity makes me want to personally apologize to the world at large. And give my fellow 'moronic americans' a little piece of useful advice.... "If you go overseas and find something you don't like about the place... SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND MOVE BACK HOME." QUIT RUINING INTERNATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS, FOR ALL OF THE REST OF US, WHO ACTUALLY HAVE SOME DECORUM!

R_Mortisse wrote:

I just want to chime in here. (As I am an American, who has always wanted to travel southeast Asia, particularly Vietnam and China, but have always been unable to afford to.) Lately, I have grown exponentially 'tired' of the general attitude of 'disrespect' my fellow countrymen have adopted. (IN GENERAL, AS WELL AS REGARDING OTHER PEOPLES.)

That's pretty much how I felt when I visited Phuket, all the locals assuming I was into young girls and ladyboys because I'm white and went on holiday there.

Americans often get a bad press, mostly because of idiotic politicians in the states (No, not just him - but he isn't helping you much) and some very large Americans with very loud voices, all chiming on about how <country> is no good because it isn't America.

That unfortunate situation is always made a little worse when some twit does something to upset the locals in whatever way and ends up in the national press as a seeming representative of his country.

As for your travel plans to Asia, the flight will cost you but the rest of the trip can be surprisingly cheap if you stay in simple hotels and eat simple food. I'd recommend Malaysia as a nice soft start as a lot of people speak English, it's easy to get around cheaply, and loads of KFCs and McDs are around so you can ease into local food bit by bit..
Get adventurous after that.

To be honest, the reaction from some locals was a bit too much. Stupid comment yes, loss of job and future career should be enough punishment.

Fred wrote:
MasterofDisaster wrote:

That was some years ago, just as stupid, just as likely to cause problems and, just to finish off, just as likely to have got him in serious trouble had he been nabbed by the local cops.
We all have to learn to respect local ideals, or at least shut up about sensitive ones, when we live as a guest in someone else's country.

LOL!   Give me a break!

You'd better fire up the Delete-o-matic  V1 and go tro work before Toi Tre/the mob  latches on to  one of the thousands of  comments  (literally) that cast Vietnam/the Vietnamese in a  less than favorable light

Just in case anyone thinks the BBC is reliable, honest and fair, read this rubbish.
The plonkers have his idiotic comments down as a joke and bash the system rather than the guilty.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42869322

Whilst I'm enjoying a rant, I'll add what he said AFTER his apology.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4630/39119436125_65075451e7.jpg

It has pretty much settled down now.

There's a bunch of Youtube vids showing his meeting with local officials. Pretty much a slap on the wrist and a promise of 'yes sir I won't do it again...at least not in VN'.

It works both ways, many vietnamese refer to black people as "khỉ đen" black monkies. They want respect for their people, but dont give the same respect.

QuidProQuo wrote:

There's a bunch of Youtube vids showing his meeting with local officials. Pretty much a slap on the wrist and a promise of 'yes sir I won't do it again...at least not in VN'.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPgThx99lxY