Ship suv to Belize from States

Hi,

Does anyone know how to ship a car from States to Belize and what would be the cost? I heard it is 78% of the cost of the car if it is V8 engine?

Belize Import Duties on Passenger Vehicles
Description and  % Rate  (duties only, may be other taxes also payable)

Motor Cars including Broncos, Station Wagons, Sports Utility Vehicle:
With an engine size capacity of 4 cyl. Or less, and 3000 cc. or less    57.60%
With an engine size capacity exceeding 4 cyl., and exceeding 3000 cc.    65.43%

Trucks of GVW not exceeding 5 tons:
Engine capacity of 4 cyl. Or less, and 3000 cc. or less    19.80%
Engine capacity exceeding 4 cyl., and 3000 cc.    37.62%

Her is a link to the Belize Customs & Excise Department rate of duties and taxes for all types of vehicles

http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html

I have read that hiring a Belize Import Agent and letting them negotiate can sometimes reduce the amount you need to pay.  Additionally, you may be able to reduce the cost of importing other items by loading them up in the vehicle.

Thanks,

Does that mean if I bought 8 cylinder car in USA 10 year ago for 50K, and to bring that car here I will pay $32625?!

This is why we decided to buy in BZ and not import a vehicle. If you are QRP you can circumvent this problem, but if you are going for permanent residency, you might want to reconsider importing a vehicle. This table lists the rates-http://customs.gov.bz/added_files/Vehicle%20duty%20Rates.pdf
but you also have to include the costs of shipping and insurance to the value of the vehicle before calculating the amount-crazy tariffs in BZ.

ska8er47499 wrote:

Thanks,

Does that mean if I bought 8 cylinder car in USA 10 year ago for 50K, and to bring that car here I will pay $32625?!

Don't forget that the value of the vehicle will be determined based on it's value in Belize which may be more than your actual purchase price. Then the cost of shipping will also be added to determine the final value of your vehicle (in Belize). After all of that, the appropriate import tax % will be applied.

Very expensive indeed

But I'd like to ask this- I have seen many travelers who are on a world tour- do they also pay the same amount? I'd doubt that

Lately I saw a RV from Germany, similar to a military truck in Belize City, USD 300,000 worth. I do not think they paid that much import duties and taxes

Yea, I really can't answer that question - could be an individual who came in on QRP or could be a government employee or could be an individual recruited by the government. There are always exceptions for some people.

You don't pay import duty if you are just traveling through. Only if you are staying do you have to pay. Also, if your vehicle is 10 years old, it's not valued at what it was when you bought it, even here. Like Bill said, though, it is definitely going to be valued higher here than in the us. You definitely need a customs broker, but I would search on here for recommendations because some of them are awful.

You mean to say enter as a tourist and later if one wishes they can stay longer?

Someone said they paid BZD 1500 for their truck