Favorite CM neighborhood?

What's your favorite neighborhood of Chiang Mai for living in, and why?

I've been checking listings of houses for rent within mubans and find them spread all over town.
-Wualai/Hai Ya?
-Hang Dong?
-Mae Rim?
-Doi Saket?
-Suthep?
-Wat Ket?

I am not at all surprised you have had no takers on this one.  You will probably have to just go out and check what is available and gauge how you feel about each individual place when you visit.

For me, Ban Pong Noi. Hands down. Fresher air, cooler temperatures, quiet nights (mostly). Bird and rooster sounds until 06:00 when the wat bell rings and the dogs howl. Great street and venue food. Market at the wat Sat and Mon nights. Friendly community, a stadium with running track and hoops, right next to the National park and CMU agricultural complex. Can't be beaten for me ... 10 minute motorbike drive from Suan Dok Gate, 20 minutes to night bazaar. Mai Hia just down the road. No airport noise. I could go on and on ...

Ricardo Diamante wrote:

For me, Ban Pong Noi. Hands down. Fresher air, cooler temperatures, quiet nights (mostly). Bird and rooster sounds until 06:00 when the wat bell rings and the dogs howl. Great street and venue food. Market at the wat Sat and Mon nights. Friendly community, a stadium with running track and hoops, right next to the National park and CMU agricultural complex. Can't be beaten for me ... 10 minute motorbike drive from Suan Dok Gate, 20 minutes to night bazaar. Mai Hia just down the road. No airport noise. I could go on and on ...

I was going to ask about the airport noise, that's just west of the airport and SW from the old city. And about half a click from the National Park. Thanks! I'll check it out when the day comes.

I have never been able to tell others where to live in Thailand.  Even for myself, where to live has been an ever evolving question, which changes as my relationship with Thailand matures.  The ten years I have spent in this present house is by far the longest and arguably my most contented period of time but only possible because of all the other places I have tried over the years. 

I wouldn't worry too much about getting it right the first time.  There is something to be learned from every living experience, so just pick a place with the knowledge that you will no doubt want something else in the not too distant future.

Very true Villagefarang...

For someone coming over for first time, it's pretty easy to stay in a cheap hotel for a couple of weeks and check with all of the real estate companies to see what's available. If not sure about the location, one can always rent short-term just to get out of the hotel and continue looking for a more permanent place.

It can sometimes be helpful if someone can share about different locations, but what one person likes may not be what another person likes. I had several people offer advice on where to live when I first came over and I didn't care for any of the locations once I got here.

Kindly...

I'd like to hear from more people who actually live in CM...

I enjoy the Chang Khlan area!   
I can't say I've lived in many places in CM, but I love being close to Night Market and the Bumrung Buri night food Market... I'm far enough out of the noise and action to find some quiet at night, it feels peaceful here, but close enough that I can be most places I want to be quickly.  No airport noise, love the view of the city from 10th floor!

jadenfox wrote:

I enjoy the Chang Khlan area!   
I can't say I've lived in many places in CM, but I love being close to Night Market and the Bumrung Buri night food Market... I'm far enough out of the noise and action to find some quiet at night, it feels peaceful here, but close enough that I can be most places I want to be quickly.  No airport noise, love the view of the city from 10th floor!

Thanks, Jaden! I haven't really explored Chang Khlan yet, but I will take a look. I like its central location.

I'm wondering whether being close to the Ping would made flooding and mosquitoes into a serious concern.

It feels central to me, love how easily I can get around on my motorbike

There are occasional mosquitos... but doubt they are from the river, I'm a bit away from the river.

Can't speak to flooding, only been here during dry season previously, don't know the history... 
and I'm on the 10th floor... not worried  :P  LOL