Using British electrical Items in Ukraine

Has anyone had any issues using their phones, tablets on the Ukrainian electrical system? I regularly charge my phone using a European/British adaptor and have had no problems. However, some items that I have bought for gifts (phone, smartwatch etc) seem to develop charging problems over time, either with batteries burning out or the charging system going kaput. I know the voltage is 220 in Ukraine so it is weaker than the British 240v so I can't see a problem with overcharging.

Who said Ukraine is 220 volt? It can range from 0 to 240 volt at anytime without any reason. Just bring an adapter that works for the rest of civilized Europe and you will be fine, maybe.......

john5788 wrote:

Who said Ukraine is 220 volt? It can range from 0 to 240 volt at anytime without any reason. Just bring an adapter that works for the rest of civilized Europe and you will be fine, maybe.......

It's a fact that Ukraine runs on 220 volt.  Look it up....

http://www.wikiconnections.org/power-su … ading-7290

There's no need to suggest that Britain is uncivilized either, that's uncalled for. 

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Never had a problem the 9 years I've been to Ukraine, just get a standard European style adapter, always works with my phones tablet or laptop.

Thanks. I've never had problems either but some of the devices I have given as gifts have failed. I wonder if the Ukrainian grid has more spikes on its system.

Where we live I would say yes there are electrical spikes they happen regularly but they have never caused any problems with any electrical items, in fact my wife still uses a mobile phone I bought in the UK that's about four or five years old and she says she hasn't had any problems. I'm no expert but I thought virtually all modern electrical items have some sort of mechanism built in to stop overheating etc due to electrical spikes.

"The rest of civilized Europe" is not an insult. It points out the difference in types of plugs used. Please notice the word "rest".

As for the electrics, voltage jumps like crazy here. More important the frequency jumps as well. Items that are isolated from the grid by a charger; phones, laptops, etc are fine. Electronics that directly attached to the grid such as boilers, freezers / refrigerators, TV(s), etc need a voltage/frequency stabilizer in between if you want longevity. These are available just about everywhere.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

I too have not had any issues using electrical goods purchased in either the UK or actually America too. I have a Bose sound system which I bought in the US, but the power range is 110v - 240v; so that worked fine in the UK and also works fine in Ukraine.

I also have iPads, iPhone, laptops, AppleTV, lamps, kitchen appliances and more that I bought with me. I also bought my partner hair straigheners in the UK because they were not available in Ukraine. Everything works perfectly without fault.

Maybe it would be worth buying a surge protection extension cord and connect your items to that. I haven't seen them yet in Ukraine, but I am sure they must sell them somewhere...

Thanks. I'll probably buy one here and take it to Nikolaev when I go next. The electrical items weren't top brand products so maybe they were just faulty.

No issues here.