Travel insurance

Just reading current reviews on world nomad travel insurance. Holy cow! The negative reviews are astonishing.  Any suggestions for other companies? The above mentioned, bloody frightening!

I read this story not so long ago and am thinking of just forgetting about insurance.  If they don't insure you when you ride a moto then what's the point.
I took insurance for my first 6 months here in Cambodia, mainly because they drive on the other side of the road to what I'm used to and I probably am a high risk if I ride a moto, which I occasionally do (although I prefer to walk most of the time).  I thought I was insured but now I'm not so sure.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/australia … FwfOPDA.97

Mr4D.

This story plays in Thailand, not Cambodia. Please don't confuse yourself and others by thinking rules and risks are the same in different countries. Each country has it's own laws, rules and insurance companies also make sometimes a difference between certain countries.

One of the most different things between Thailand and Cambodia is that in Thailand traffic drives mostly on the left side and in Cambodia mostly on the right side.
On top Thailand is number one in the number of deaths by traffic accidents.

Each one should find out what the coverage is from different insurance companies, one thing that I know is that most if not all insurances do not cover accidents while driving (or even as pillion) a motorbike. Motorbike rentals often do not have sufficient insurance, example motorbikes over 125 cc need a different insurance than the smaller ones.

The lady in the story did not even have a drivers license for motorbike, so a very stupid thing to do, riding an uninsured motorbike in Thailand without a drivers license and experience.

Be careful out there, I ride a under 125 cc motorbike in Sihanoukville, already tricky and only defensive riding and no hurry (of course also no alcohol) can save you from accidents. Khmers drive like there is no traffic law and only being prepared for the unexpected is the way to survive.
But I would never ride a motorbike in PP, I did not reach retirement age to get killed in traffic, I plan to stay around a few decades, so tuktuk transport or taxi are the means of transportation for me.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hi Joe,
I agree that driving a motorbike in PP is dangerous and not a good idea.  As I said in my post, they drive on the other side of the road here too, which means I am used to driving on the left hand side of the road and here they drive on the right hand side.  Occasionally I still forget this and drive on the wrong side if my concentration gets taken up too much by tricky situations.  However this is not really noticed here in PP because others do that all the time deliberately anyway, and over time this problem of mine will evaporate.  Also note though that the maximum speed anyone can possibly reach in PP is 40km/hour.  At these slow speeds it is easy to stop quickly and anticipate problems.

My personal advice to you if you want to stay around a long time is to walk and forget the tuk tuk or taxi; which is what I do.  I only ride our motorbike (I bought one for my girl friend and she lets me ride it when I want, but I rarely do) if for some reason I can't walk.  This way I get daily exercise and will also be here for a good time and a long time.

But I did think that I was insured.  The motorbike I ride is 125cc and I don't think that I require a license.  I won't be happy if my insurance company pulls some fine print that says I was doing a dangerous activity by riding a motorcycle under 125cc for my personal transport for which I don't need a license.  The insurance company really should assume that if I'm going to be here for a long time then I will sooner or later be driving some sort of vehicle.

Hi MrD.

I'm quite sure that you are not insured in case of a motorbike accident, so be careful and don't drive at the wrong side of the road, let your gf drive :

You indeed don't need a drivers license in Cambodia but in Thailand you do need one. So the story you mentioned about the OZ woman is one of own stupidity, as she had no drivers license in OZ nor in Thailand for a motorbike. Some people think it's funny to rent a motorbike and ride around, but it's dangerous, specially in Thailand.

When I mentioned taking a tuktuk I meant for distances where others take their motorbike. I don't take a tuktuk for 1 km. When in PP I stay, on purpose, at a distance of the places where I like to go, restaurants, terraces. That way I walk along the river and it's not only nice but also healthy.

For staying around long time I take care of food and drinks. Eating mainly organic food, taking natural health enhancers, not smoking, no alcohol except the odd glass of red wine, and of course no mind-altering drugs, keeps me healthy. Doing a blood check each year gives me insight on my health.

Take care on the roads and stay healthy

Cheers

Joe

G'day,
INSURANCE ....it's a maze of fine print.  The big print “giveth” & the small print “taketh” away.

I'm across the border in Vietnam for 7 years and the insurance issue is always there.    I've recently contacted several insurance companies back home AUS  to pinpoint a few queries about any possible claims in relation to motorbikes.   

Most won't answer clearly, it's just waffle from the Policy document.

Even though they may say a local license, also a bike license in your own country, or IDP is required & the bike is less than 125cc OR the actual rider is licensed & your just the pillion...whatever??.   

There's a “catch”.       Most accident claims will require a police report , a BAC (blood alcohol) report, and maybe witness reports.     Also, they have a “hazardous” activity clause that would state that you are foolhardy to ride a motorcycle here to begin with ,  not to mention the $5 helmets🤓

As a pillion on a moto.taxi....how do you know the dude riding the bike has a VALID license.    How will anyone find him while your unconscious in a shitty local hospital.

Then you've got generally the fact that NO roadworthy inspections are carried out on bikes here,   A foreigner in a collision will usually be deemed to be “ in the wrong” in an accident (police report)  since financial compensation for damage is always required & paid to the local dude 😆😆,   More than likely a BAC wasn't taken,, most accidents I've seen are usually at night in wet conditions,,,,AND being a retired expat in this part of the world.....those claims assessors KNOW that most long term Expats are piss heads & likely to be intoxicated.

Given all of the above .....😆, how do you think a claim will go.??

I'd say the chances of getting $40,000 for a medivac refund would be slim.    I'm just letting you know what insurance companies are like,,,I worked for one.   So having a policy doesn't always help.

I've had several accidents here , both motorbike & bicycle ,and walked away purely because of LOW speed.  Also got hit as a pedestrian 🤓 I'm over 50 , and just carry a basic long term travellers policy issued through a “retirement” group. It's cheap, but I doubt a motorcycle accident would get covered given the above. 

It's not the insurance you've got to worry about ......it's the hospital you end up in.   People have had the wrong limb amputated, Men have been diagnosed as Pregnant ( serious).   You've got the Minister for Healths nephew with a medical degree he was “given” slicing into you with a scalpel whilst being instructed by a YouTube clip on medical procedures😆 held by a nervous assistant .   This has happened.

Anyway,,life's for living eh.... That's why I live in this part of the world now.   Each day has its challenges & peculiarities.  I reckon I've “lived” more in the 7 years here than I lived for the majority of time in the “nanny state” that some western countries have become.

Actually, the closest I came to serious injury was in a mini bus near Siem Reap last year.  The driver side swiped another vehicle and lost control of the bus. Yogi got thrown from one end of the bus to the other.   I'll never hire another bike in Thailand.   Too many crazy tourists riding above their skill level for me.   Then you've got the many police road blocks that check your bonafides and sometimes look under the seat of the bike for illegal substances.   Who knows what they may “find” or put there 😆 to shake you down.   Yogis not a druggie or pisshead  but having one of those corrupt little assholes rummaging thru your stuff isn't pleasant.   And insurance sure as hell won't cover that.

So get yourself one of those $5 helmets,  and get out there and enjoy it . It's an interesting place & a good life here.      Live while your alive.

Thanks Yogi.  I have a $20 helmet and my girlfriend couldn't believe that I would pay that much for a helmet.  Not that I know it is any good, it's just the one with a colour that matched the motorcycle and it fitted me; and I needed one.  But we do have to remember that we are traveling at very low speeds here in PP, and the helmet will protect me.  There is no need for a racing helmet.  Especially now I'm going to be even more careful if I ride and go even more slowly.
I'm going to let my insurance lapse soon.  I can dig up money for an evacuation if it comes to that and I am conscious.  Hopefully that's not going to happen.  The insurance was just there so that they can take the risk instead of me, especially in the first 6 months when I consider myself to be most at risk getting used to a new environment.

I left that "nanny state" that you mentioned, one of the big reasons I came here.  It's too much the other way here, but Australia is too much a nanny.  The thing that tipped me over and made me leave is a recent law by Malcolm Corkbull banning people from gambling on the internet.  They didn't ban us from losing obscene amounts on the pokies though.  But when it came to me playing internet poker for less than $100 per year, they had to protect me.  They can shove it.  Not that I do any internet gambling here now anyway.  But I can!
I've got other nanny state stories but I'll stop here.

After what you said about accidents in wet weather, I think I'm going to do a blanket ban on myself riding/driving if it is raining.  I walk and get wet.  It's not as if it's cold.  It'll be just part of the fun here, living the good life which it is.

Jaysuz.....what's happening over there in PP.

Blokes are paying up to $20 for helmets , color matched to their bikes..😳.     Sounds like the Latte sipping , cravat wearing , Gucci loafer clad brigade have endorsed the gentrification of Cambodia. 

Are the hookers still 30 bucks😆

Yogi just read an article where a bunch of tourists have been locked up for “lewd behaviour” while dancing at a private rave party.

It's a fair bet Yogi will be staying off the dance floor next time he hits PP.