Culture of Cap Cana, Dominican Republic?

Hello!

In the next six months, I will be moving to Latin America to teach. I have recently been given an offer for a school in Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic. After reading all the posts here about the DR, I learned a ton! But I still have a few more questions, and I hope you can answer them. :)

What is the culture of Cap Cana like? Since it is a resort, is there much of an authentic DR culture there? 

Is there much Spanish spoken in Cap Cana? Or does almost everyone speak English?

Are there many locals living in Cap Cana? What is the community like? Is it just made up of workers for the resort, school, etc.?

Besides going to the beach, what things are there to do in your free time? Scape Park looks awesome but it seems like everything costs money...is there any nearby hiking you can do for free?

Thank you SO much in advance, and I can't wait to hear your responses!!

Welcome to the forums!

cap cana is a resort community full of mainly expats.  Few locals live there it is way too expensive. there is no local flavor and no local community.

Sorry I am not sure what there is to do close to there that is not touristy and expensive.

You will find both English and Spanish used in Cap Cana.

That whole area is the main overpriced, gringo , tourist trap of the entire country.

We lived in Cap Cana for 3 months this past year and found it very enjoyable except for the area where we rented. There weren't many people living there and it had several maintenance problems with sprinklers, pools, mosquitoes, etc. However, there are other areas which are very nice, secure, and you would never think you are in DR.  It is extremely well-maintained, has many amenities, excellent rest. and bars, and Juanillo is one of the best beaches on the island.
It is expensive and has a very international community, many wealthy Europeans, Russians, and Latinos who enjoy fishing and golf. Many Dominicans rent the AI on weekends, and the Marina area has a great club with a pool to go partying. The stables are incredible by all standards and they do offer riding lessons.
So, to answer your questions: definitely not your typical Dominican residence, a sheltered fun life if you are retired, have lots of money and want everything to be like in the States, but the help does not speak English, Spanish is the norm. There are also some young bus. people who share apts. and work in the Punta Cana area. Some students live in Las Canas just outside the Cap Cana gates because the University is right next to the American school. There are a few shops and rest. there and it will grow more with Blue Mall just 5 min away.

Check Trip Advisor on Cap Cana. You 'll find lots of info on what to do, etc.
Hope that helps...

If you didn't know you were here, why the hell be here? Go to Mayjorca or Rio, or Miami or Can Cuan?  Same beaches, same hotels, bars, & restaurants. Even the climate is the same. I can understand wanting the same vacation wherever you go, but please don't say you "have been to the Dominican Republic". It is so much more than an all inclusive place on a beautiful beach.  Oh, by the way, I know my spelling sucks. At my age, I don't give a damn. ( really just lazy). Just be sure to have a great time where ever you are.

Tinker - I've said this multiple times - Not everyone wants what you want!!! Respect choices please. A great time for some is very different for others!

Michita-  excellent post from someone who has lived there. Thank you!

Planner,you are correct, I stand here filled with chagrin, sadness & hope for my future improvement. Thank you for showing me my shortcomings. The ruler has cracked my knuckles once again. Does the horse truly want to plow straight lines? At my age it is difficult to maintain equidistant furrows.

Hahahaha!   You are not alone in this one honey.  We all need to practice being more tolerant of what others may want.

After visiting Santiago and Sosua several times, we were tempted by the much cheaper flight to Punta Cana. The first thing we noticed was that there was nothing to see on the ride from the airport to the small unit we rented in Bayahibe. We rented there cause I did not want to spend the $$$ for PC.

When you fly into STI or POP, you pass farms and house and towns and villages. You see cows and horses and fruit stand and people.  In our experience, when you fly into PC you see long drives back to what you assume are hotel after hotel after hotel.

Our beach was ok. But it was not Playa Alicia. We took a guagua (sp) into LaRomana for dinner. I got violently sick-i think it was the lettuce or the ice cubes.....we took a motorcycle ride to the baseball stadium, but the schedule was wrong. No game.

I am sure the hotels in PC are nice. But to us, that would be like going to Disneyland. We much prefer the North.  I do still want to spend some time in the Capital. And last time from Sosua to Santiago, we took the way through Caberette, the "mountain road". We definitely plan to explore that area some more. Part of me wishes cross country transportation was easier. But a bigger part of me likes that it is not 6 line highways.

You replicate my thoughts & I'm that of many others.  Vindication at last, or at least a kindred soul..

No vindication at all. Its all about - to each his own!  What floats your boat sinks others.......LOL

Thank you all SO much for the advice and information you have given me! It does sound like Cap Cana is a bit too resort/touristy for what I am looking for. I am looking for a place with a more authentic culture where I can really immerse myself in something new.

I just posted another topic asking similar questions about Santo Domingo. If you have any experience there, I would love to hear what you have to say!!

Thanks for the info, Planner! I've been reading a bunch of the other forums on expat and I appreciate all the answers that you have given. I've learned a lot.

Thank you so much for all this information, Michita!! This definitely gave me a good idea of what Cap Cana can be like.

Most gringos dont go to authentic places, but here are a few: Hato Mayor, Monte Christe, Barahona, Pedernales, Miches.   There are many of them.

Santo Domingo, Santiago... long list of places!

Several towns on the north shore can provide the experience you are searching for; Rio An Juan, Gaspar Hernandez & my favorite, Cabrera. I live in the Sosua/Cabarete area Which maybe too touristy for you.  For me I have found that the larger cities to have a lack of local Dominican culture.  Yes there are museums, art galleries & theaters. I guess that it depends on your definition of "Culture".  If you want to really experience the life here learning Spanish is a must.  Without it you will barely scratch the surface. It is a fascinating country on a multitude of levels. I love the process of continually learning each day & I'm just an old fart.  Welcome to the circus of life. Patience will give you what you want, a sense of humor is an asset too

Really Tinker you need to visit and stay in  the larger cities.  It does not get much more authentic than that. Its just BIGGER not less Dominican! 

Museums and churches and art galleries and theaters that show DOMINICAN history, artists and productions are absolutely authentic my friend!   Its a different part of the culture. We also have car washes, and  rancho typicos and colmados etc etc.  Okay also traffic jams!  That is the worst part of the big city!

Your points well taken Planner, however, I have visited & stayed in our major cities & towns. I have also lived & had businesses in various cities in other countries & various other islands. We are not in dispute, just different definitions, likes & needs. Do you agree that staying in Punta Cana or staying in SD & never venturing out gives the true essence of the entire island culture? Big city vs small town. btdt ( learned its' meaning) and have made my choice.  Neither  is right or wrong for everyone, to each his own.

Exactly my point!

Yes, and I shall continue to promulgate mine, unfettered by the negative folks.

Hi! Annaliese21, did you accept the position? I will be teaching at Cap Cana Heritage school this upcoming year and came across this thread and also found it to be very helpful! I was pretty aware we were in resort central, but am hoping to explore more of the country on weekends and such to get a feel of what the island is really about.

@thecolonel As you wrote this in 2018, I am wondering if your thoughts have evolved. We plan on going in March with the intentions of buying a condo.  I am developing a list of pros and cons...... thanks in advance for any and all thoughts

@planner so true, so very true, it took me into my sixties to understand this

@thecolonel As you wrote this in 2018, I am wondering if your thoughts have evolved. We plan on going in March with the intentions of buying a condo. I am developing a list of pros and cons...... thanks in advance for any and all thoughts
-@rfmaurone

he is no longer on the board.  Best to start a new thread and get recent feedback honey!

@annaliese21 Try Jarabacoa

This is an old thread and we will close it.

Closed