New members of the Spain forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hello,

I am currently living outside of Houston Texas a semi-retired nurse> I am a widow and hoping to relocate to Spain in under 2 years. I spent a week in Barcelona and immediately fell in love. The people were friendly, walking to the cafes and the excellent markets impressed me. I will be looking  for tips on
making my move easier.  Looking forward to getting to know some expats.

Roxie Lacey

Hi, My name is Sara am Ethiopian living in Spain for a year, was living and working in Saudi Arabia working there As a Conference Manager still working there :), I didn't have time to make friends or I can talk Ethiopian- Arabic- English hope Spanish soon :)

Hola,

I've just written a question so thought I'd also introduce myself 🐍 (year of the snake)

Hubby and I are thinking of moving to Almeria/Alicante region with our 2 cats Felix and Bailey. He says we would need to work and so I might be looking for things to do all day if we do come over!

I look forward to asking many more questions and hopefully getting answers to them!

Ali

Hi Everybody,

I've applied to a Master's program at the University of Valencia for the Fall. But whether I'm accepted or not, I plan to move to Valencia in October or November. About me: I speak fluent Spanish (well, needs some immersion), and am a dual EU/US citizen, age 42.

Hola, buenos dias everyone. We live in Galicia and have lived there over ten years. We are looking to move to Valencia or Murcia and are looking for somewhere hot and sunny for at least nine months of the year with some rainfall. We live in a rural village amongst the Spanish however we are now looking to live still rural but not isolated with a mix of neighbours fairly close by. A most important factor would be good healthcare. We are registered here in the healthcare as pensionistas.

Any information gratefully received.

Hi my name is Christine, new to this, anyone know, what it's like living in torravejeta

Afternoon from a wet UK, Im Carol and I am moving to Almeria on the 1st September 2018 with my hubby and our pooch. he'd been applying for jobs in Andalucia for the past few years. He was finally offered a position in his area of expertise. We flew out 23/07/2018 and met the 2 owners, who are very genuine and hard workers, Everything was agreed and were now on the lookout for a home, it would be.ideal if we got our long-term rental immediately, but if not secured within next 3 weeks we will have to go in to an alternative rental for a couple of months. ive got some health problems which leave me unable to walk much due to the pain I experience, im hoping this move will help ease it all, so my mobility improves. so that I can look for a few hours work.

Bonjour,
Je suis retraitée et je prévois de m'installer sur l'île de Tenerife au début de l'année 2019 pour une nouvelle vie et pour aider ma famille à venir m'y rejoindre. Le projet commun est d'ouvrir un commerce dans l'alimentaire. J'espère que je trouverai les réponses à mes questions auprès des abonnés déjà sur place car je pense qu'une aide nous sera bien utile.
Je remercie le site pour son accueil et je souhaite une bonne journée à tous

Hi, I hope your move goes very well in 2019, i advise you make a few trips there and live as a resident would not a holidaymaker.
regards Carol

Sorry ive never been there, I have been told though that there are quiet places for residents, it's not Benidorm for sure, id fly out for a few days to check it out before you move your life there

good luck with the move. Carol

Hi if you want a community that is not too touristy id look in the Vera Playa area, its more residential and inland from there Antas isn't too far, but if you want a warm winter do not go too far inland. We are moving there at the beginning of September. I found a few agents for rent and sale, RMB Spain, is very good, Blue sky villas, and blueseavillas.co.uk  Angel property, too be fair if you do a search on google for Almeria estate agents there's lots, but be careful with Spanish property choice, my hubby's new boss who lives in Vera Playa told us they're not the best.
Good Luck with the search i hope you find what you are looking for.
Carol

Hi all
My wife and I are from North Wales and we've just bought a property near Valencia, initially for long holidays with a view to a more permanent move in a few years. We're coming over next weekend, by a van containing some furniture and an older caravan which we'll then sell, travelling back to Wales in an empty van mid-September . Looking forward to our new adventure (may need some help on this forum !!)

Good luck with your drive, were doing an initial drive over in our car and renting a furnished place, Our van drive well 705ton lorry drive will happen November once we've settled and located storage near to where we live so we are then ready after Christmas to find our very long term unfurnished rental villa. We won't be buying as we can't get a deposit together. So hopefully you will post what it was like driving all this way in a large vehicle, we'll get a good idea of what to expect.
again we will be thinking of you. Carol

Hi Dylan hope all goes well with your trip, we are hoping to visit valencia in December, with a view to retiring there, we have heard it is a flatter area of Spain, with plenty amenities, not sure yet if this is true, so going to check it out, not meaning to be nosey, but what made you choose valencia, and what's the average price of properties there, any tips would be helpful.

Hi Christine, my wife chose Valencia for it's more stable climate,supposedly warmer in winter and cooker than other parts of Spain in summer. Valencia is also more Spanish than the usual Costas! As far as prices are concerned it depends on your budget, but an average villa in its own grounds with a pool is probably around £100,000. Have a look on Kyero? We saw 18 properties in 3 days, and chose the last one!!
Good luck👍

Grassas good luck with the drive ovet

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I am Eliza from Poland, now living in Madrid since march 2018. I'm looking for some info about this beautiful city and things to do.

See you! :)

Take a look here. https://www.getyourguide.com/-l46/?cmp= … gL3ofD_BwE

thank you!

Sorry but im beginning to wonder if there's a con going on, ive been told Almeria is the warmest place in winter by brits I know live there. According to them last Christmas it was over 25c on the beach in vera playa. apparently, it's supposedly a microclimate.
So id say take it with a pinch of salt im now going to do research for myself as ive planned a move on this info as ive Arthritis quite severely .

Unfortunately many people do not know the ‘official record' of temperature is that taken  in the shade where there  is no reflected heat,  never in direct sun light 

A temperature taken on a beach would seem not to comply with that,  so not a ‘real' figure that can be compared with official records else where

Hello,
My name is Kim. My husband and I are planning to move to Spain (Orba in the Marina Alta) in the next 2 years. Planning to register with my Residencia, just organising a Spanish bank account then will be looking for a long term rental property.
Any tips on  bank accounts and rental property agents would be most appreciated.
Many thanks
Kim

I have been recommend to use bank of march

Hi Kim.   I would wait to see what happens after Brexit.  Everything might change so no good planning now

Thank you Christine

Spanish banks charge a lot if you use a cash machine (sucursal) that is not from your bank to withdraw money, so an important consideration is the distance from where you live to your bank as well as the availability of sucursales in places that you travel to frequently. I have an account at banco santander which pays me interest (123). My wife has BBVA. These two banks are the largest, stable, and have   many sucursales nationally as well as internationally.

Hey guys! My name is Nadia, Im 23. Currently Im living and working in Moscow, but my goal for the nearest future - to relocate to Spain(preferably to Malaga or nearby areas)  So for now Im doing some research about job opportunities in Spain. I am ready to consider different options in terms of the type of work and sphere. Lived in USA for a year, BA in International relations, worked in an international magazine as a manager/editor assistant+ rus-eng translator, currently working as a commercial dep coordinator in an international pharmaceutical company. I will be more than happy to hear any kind of info from you, please let me know if you know about some place/company/hotel or just someone you know that is looking for a russian native speaker with fluent English, who is willing to move to Spain and eager to work hard and learn if necessary :) cheers!

Hi,

My wife and I (both Americans living in San Francisco last 13 years) are interested in moving to Spain or Italy next year. Before San Francisco, we lived in Paris for a couple of years and North London for 18 months. I'm 60 and she is 55, and we have a 4-1/2 year-old 45 LB. sweet rescue pooch.  We are looking for a dog-friendly (ideally with some off-leash running/play areas) area to live.  We love living in or near a city. We don't speak Spanish, so we don't want to be too isolated.  We are visiting Spain in 12 days and would love any suggestions you have.  We are going to San Sebastian, Bilbao, Barcelona and Girona.  Where are you living and how do you like it?  Is it dog-friendly?    I can be reached at: [email protected]    Any insights you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!    Kurt

In spain dogs are not generally allowed to be off leash and at least in some cities dog's DNA must be registered so that irresponsible owners who do not clean up after they allow their dog to defecate in public areas, can be prosecuted

https://myanimals.com/where-can-you-wal … -in-spain/

hola todos, how are u doin guys?

I'm Chris, from Belgium and arriving in Murcia to stay around 1 year, (to study in UCAM if some of you are actually going there also?) and hope to find nice things to do and nice people to meet there !

If by any chance someone knows how to find a flat in the city center, let me know :):cheers:

Hi,

Nice to meet u all in here.
Im indonesian and my husband come from England. We have plan to stay in Madrid for next year.
And im looking some information for yunior high school for my sons, he is 11 years old now.

Looking forward to hearing from you about this.

Thanks & Regards,
Eka

Hola a todos!
I'm looking forward to moving to Canary Islands and that really became my dream.
I wanna open my restaurant there, but first i have to get a job at some restaurant at Tenerife. I already have the experience, i only need to get B2 at spanish and find the restaurant to work at, then we shall see....Are my plans real? I need a website with job offers, which one should i use?

Hi, my name is Ed and I am a retired psychologist, living in the Pyrenees in Jaca with my wife.  We have been here 6 years, almost.  We speak fair Spanish but that is a must here.  We have had a flat here for the past five years.  We are American but hate Trump.

Try Spanish indeed.  there very good.

good luck..

Thank you for the answer, friend :)
Yes, everyone hates Trump for obvious reasons, but isn't Malaga a part of continental Spain?

Trump  Was elected by a majority so cannot be hated by everyone.

John, you obviously do not understand the US electoral college.  Trump was elected by a minority of more than 3 million votes.  The EC is set up to unfairly give certain areas more representation.  It is the only reason George Bush got elected.

Hola a todos!

Greetings from India!  My name is Komaldeep. I am seeking a job prospect in Barcelona and want to relocate there in the near future, provided I get a lucrative job offer that is. I have been teaching myself Spanish for the past 3 years with a little help from a native Spanish speaker. I'd like to connect with people around there and understand more about the job scene and the work culture there (I'll have a separate post for it later).

Have a good day!

Good luck guy.  Jobs are difficult to come by for non Spanish.  Laws here require Spaniards to be hired first.  Now if you have connections with Indian, American, or British companies here, that is a different story.  Tech companies are hiring all over the world though.  Good luck.

Thank for your reply. Yes, I do understand that.  Well, I am working as a Senior Copywriter (English) here in India. So far I've understood that there's much demand for English writers in Barcelona. In fact, I have got a few acquaintances from Barcelona and Madrid from whom I got to know much about the job demand for English speakers there respectively. I want to know more about the job scene for English writers there from the natives' point of view.

Closed