New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Mrs.G719 :

We will become property owners Friday! My husband is from Puerto Rico and we recently decided to retire there. We will start clearing land and building next year. All my ideas are on Pinterest and I hope I put them to work!

Congratulations

Hi, new to the forum.  Name is Craig, currently live in Miami.  Am flying to San Juan to meet with Tax Attorneys about Acts 22 and 20 and ultimately a move full-time to San Juan in February of 2019.  Will be active in this forum to learn about the best (and safest) places to live, the culture, and all other things upon arrival.

cab2345 :

Hi, new to the forum.  Name is Craig, currently live in Miami.  Am flying to San Juan to meet with Tax Attorneys about Acts 22 and 20 and ultimately a move full-time to San Juan in February of 2019.  Will be active in this forum to learn about the best (and safest) places to live, the culture, and all other things upon arrival.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico soon. You sure you want to move in February? For tax purposes and act 20/22 you may want to move before January 1. Check with the attorney.

Yep I've already talked to 7 tax attorneys and I'm actually flying to San Juan in October to meet with them in person and choose the one I will retain.

New to the forum here! I'm considering a move to PR within the next few years. My wife and I have always had a bit of wanderlust and this is our best opportunity to move to another country without the hassle of immigration, visas, etc.

I speak fluent Spanish (raised in a bilingual household with Colombian parents). I'm very comfortable with PR Spanish, as it sounds a lot like what my parents spoke (they were from Colombia's Caribbean coast). My wife and children do not speak Spanish. Wife understands it well, and kids are young enough to pick it up, I hope.

I've got a bachelor's degree in business, but I've been in some blue collar trades for a little while. Not entirely sure what kind of work is out there. My background is in Transportation Management -- but I honestly hope not to go back to office life.

Looking to visit in the spring to start checking the place out. Not set on any one particular part of the island, but the weather in Mayaguez sounds way too hot. I'm moving from Tennessee...I can deal with heat, but it sounds scorching there!

Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico soon. Most member put their kids in Private schools, the public ones are not up to standards. As I understand Private schools are not cheap.

Heat is relative in the island, the lower you are the hotter it is, as you move up into the hills it is cooler and breezier.

Concrete heats up all day and at night it gives out the accumulated heat, so likely you will need an air conditioner to sleep. If so use a split unit, they are more efficient.

Public schools are taught in Spanish... I work at one of the top private school on the island it’s not super expensive but compared that’s compared to the private boarding schools in the states....

I would look for houses with inverter ac they are more energy efficient. Energy is twice as expensive here as it is in the states so efficient appliances are very important!

Hi. New to forum. Trying to learn what it takes to relocate to Puerto Rico I don't know where to start.

Start with finding a source of income, unless you have one already, or are independently wealthy.

Bobcatbird1 :

Hi. New to forum. Trying to learn what it takes to relocate to Puerto Rico I don't know where to start.

Take a look at what it will take to move several states away from where you currently live. It will be close to the same except for the big pool of water between us.

Your source of  income, learn new language, new driver license, new bank account, new school, new nanny, mosquito repellent, sunscreen, a hat, shorts, sunglasses, learn how to relax, many many changes.

ReyP :
Bobcatbird1 :

Take a look at what it will take to move several states away from where you currently live. It will be close to the same except for the big pool of water between us.

Your source of  income, learn new language, new driver license, new bank account, new school, new nanny, mosquito repellent, sunscreen, a hat, shorts, sunglasses, learn how to relax, many many changes.

Rent and houses/condos purchase are lower in PR in most areas of the island when compared to the states. Electricity is double the US, water about the same. There is no natural gas, we use propane for cooking and other uses due to cost of electricity. Decide if you are going to sell most of your stuff and buy new in PR or try to ship them, do note that is very expensive to ship a car, around 1200 for the transport and you also have to pay taxes to move the car and those can be high. Food is about the same , maybe a little higher, but it all depends on your diet, since most food have to be shipped to the island, your supermarket may be out of a few items, for months and one day have them again. Good example, tomatoes, one supermarket was out, another had some but they looked like they took a tumble down a mountain another supermarket had nice clean, smooth and good shape tomatoes. Each chain does its own thing and 1 chain may be out of broccoli or tomatoes but a different chain would have the items, you need to drive and do a hunt for them.

Bobcat: As I said, get your financial situation straight. You'll figure it out after that. If you truly want to relocate, you'll make it work Trust me.

Eva, Myself and my daughter just moved here this week in an area named College Park. If your down for exploring with us please reach out and connect. We are currently doing the car rental gig but hoping to get a vehicle soon. We are both here pursuing nursing at Inter Metro University, and we are from Florida. Welcome !!

pspsurf :

Eva, Myself and my daughter just moved here this week in an area named College Park. If your down for exploring with us please reach out and connect. We are currently doing the car rental gig but hoping to get a vehicle soon. We are both here pursuing nursing at Inter Metro University, and we are from Florida. Welcome !!

Welcome to the island and the forum.