Planning to have a family/health cover if already pregnant??

Hi There,

We might be moving to Mauritius as my husband's work is thinking of sending him over to start a branch there. If I am already pregnant, will the health care providers cover me for medical treatment or is there a waiting period? Any advice or info would be helpful. :D

P.s. What are the best health insurance options/providers in Mauritius?

P.s.s. How much would it cost paying for the birth of our baby privately? without medical aid?

Congratulations Yelles for the pregnancy, I hope your baby and you are well :)

Unfortunately, I guess there is always a waiting period ...

Hi there

There is a few healcare providers on the island, you will have to check them out to see which one is the best for your needs. Unfortunately I think you will have a waiting period with all of them. The medical cover I am on has a waiting period of one year for normal birth and 2 years for cesarean - crazy I know!

apollo bramwell...1 year but cover very good

Wow the waiting period is crazy! How much would it cost paying for the birth privately? :|

wyni wrote:

Hi there

There is a few healcare providers on the island, you will have to check them out to see which one is the best for your needs. Unfortunately I think you will have a waiting period with all of them. The medical cover I am on has a waiting period of one year for normal birth and 2 years for cesarean - crazy I know!

Wow that is a bit hectic - do you know how much it would cost if we pay for the birth ourselves without medical aid?

Yelles wrote:

Wow that is a bit hectic - do you know how much it would cost if we pay for the birth ourselves without medical aid?

Hello

If it's a normal delivery and you are staying for only one night/day you should cater for about Rs. 30,000.(more or less, depending on the rates for the clinic and gynae/obs plus paediatrician etc)

For a c-section (that too depending on rates as mentioned above), have at least Rs. 50-60,000 ready. It may be more if you are staying for longer than a day or so, and it depends on your health and that of the baby/ies.

That being said, you can always ask your doctor and visit the clinics to know what are the rates!

Thanks for all the answers. Appreciate it!

Am looking to move back next sept with the view of having another baby. I am nervous about having a baby in Mauritius. Will it still have my nationality (British) and what are the clinics like? I would really appreciate any advice and reassurance.
Thanks
Leyla

Hello lne1.

This post is a bit old. It is dated 2011. :)

I invite you to start a new thread on the Mauritius forum for better visibility.

Thank you,
Aurélie