New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi there,

Have been reading a few posts on here the last few days. Good stuff!

My story: I've got an exciting opportunity to move from UK to DR with my job.

Obviously scary, exciting, sad, worried etc....

Most of my concerns are around practical isssues as a lone woman leaving my life behind and stepping into a total unknown.

Nothing is confirmed yet, as interview to get through and I want to visit before any decision is made.

I'll probably be living in Punta Cana, any good websites you can recommend to find a rental place? I'm looking for somewhere secure to begin with (24 hr security type thing) if there are onsite facilities like pool and gym that's good.

I'm also a super keen runner and will go out running for entire weekends, so would like to hear thoughts on running safety there. I'm really talking going out for 20-30 miles preferably in trails. Being used to my independence to do this is important but if I know how to manage my expectations that's a good start. Where to avoid etc. I'd rather not do Laps of the beach for 6 hours on a Saturday 😬

Has anyone climbed the highest mountain there? Is this safe to do alone?

I've found there's a marathon in April but I don't think I'll be there that's soon and I am doing London marathon first.

I'll have heaps more questions I'm sure but that's a starting point and intro ;)

Hi UKBucks, I wish you all the best for your future in this wonderful country. I just moved to a new apartment in Santo Domingo, and found mine in indominicana.com/reg/eng/home.aspx?
Good luck!

UK I missed your post, welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of info here!  There is lots of running space in Punta Cana. Safety - only daylight hours.

Read read read and ask any questions you have!

Bloreto - welcome as well. I am also in SD,  hope you enjoy it!

Hola, I am new to Santo Domingo.
I'm looking for any kind of meditation, running, biking, vegan, or rock music scene. I'm happy to meet others for meet ups, maybe in El Mirardor or choosing a new restaurant/ happy hour to try once a month.
Enjoy your day  :)

Welcome to the forums!!! SD has a very diverse culture.   You will find a variety of music and restaurants in the Colonial Zone.

Read the various threads and feel free to create one to talk about this!

My wife and I just made travel plans to visit the DR for the first time. We are staying the Wyndham in Las Terrenas which something different for us as we've never done an all inclusive before but that place looked like it's just what we need for a week or so.
We also want to kinda scout around for when I retire in 7 years and the DR is one of the places we wanted to check out, we've done Puerto Rico and the USVI and we've got plenty of time before we decide.
I just stumbled across this forum and found quite a bit of good information for both tourists and retirees so you have my thanks.

Welcome!

Please make sure to spend lots of time outside the resort as an all-inclusive does not give you any idea as to how "normal, day-to-day living" is here in the DR. Beautiful country, very diverse settings (touristy vs. non-touristy, north coast vs. east coast, vs. south coast, vs. Santo Domingo).  Beachfront, mountainous, big towns, small villages. I'd plan a few more trips before you retire to explore and find what's right for you.

Good luck!

All inclusive resorts tend to down play outside activities unless booked through them They want to keep the bucks spent on site. They usually say it is not safe or not much to see or do. Ignore them & explore all you want. Get to see as much of the north shore as you can.  Welcome & enjoy your introduction to the island.  Read & ask questions. Have fun. Post your thoughts & experience while here.

We plan on spending some serious time away from the resort but we did want a place we could just not have to do anything at times.
As far as retirement goes we are in no way heading to the first place that has warm weather and nice beaches, although anyplace would look good compared to weather here in Philadelphia today. 35 degrees F and rain is lousy no matter how you look at it.

Welcome to the forum!  Las Terrenas is a great place to start your  search in this country.  Its beautiful, laid back retirement style for many.

Then check out other areas of the country, its very diverse.  Read lots, ask lost of questions too!

Hello all. Im rob. After working in the cold for 40 years i want to find work in a mine down there for a few years before i retire. I have been there several times over the last 7 years and found the country and its people very nice. I will be moving into the montellano area as i have friends there

Welcome to the forums. Honey there are no mines near Montellano.   :D

Interesting concept. You can always dig your own. Welcome to the island & enjoy the humor herein. Lots of serious shit too. Jump in and have some fun. There are various mines here but not close. Reply with a smile.

Hi. I do realize the mines are farther south. But until i find work of some sort i figure that would be a good start. I have some friends in punto vana but no mines there either.

Good attitude Rob.  Their are some huge mines here.  Contact them at their head offices - Barrick Gold is here and a big player.  They are a Canadian company.

Yes. Have talked with them .  Found a contact a few years back but was undecided if this was the plan i wanted. Now i am fairly sure. Like 95%. Just need a foot in the door. Then sell my company here for some spending cash. I have a few trucks and dozers. Want to retire but am not quite there yet

Awesome!

Hello,

My name is David & my wife is Valerie.  We are originally from southern California around the L.A. area & currently live in the East Bay San Francisco, CA.  I'm retired and worked in construction management and was also a General Contractor.  My wife still works as a labor & delivery RN for a local hospital.  We're very adventurous and a trip to the DR in May 2018 is our next adventure.  We will be staying at a Condo that we rented for the 10 days we will be there.

We liked the small town description of Cabrera away from the more touristy areas & specifically the NE coast of the DR.  The question we have is - is it better to explore on your own or hookup with someone or a group that can show us around the area better?  We are coming to the DR to vacation to celebrate our 60th birthdays & also see what opportunities abound to possibly spend a lot more time in the future in the DR.

Thanks

I would try to have the time to do both. Any tour is geared to sell something & you will see only what they have. A few are less sell driven. I would give Rob Chenvert a call. He can set up something that fits your wants. No high pressure, just an interesting learning time. Give him a call & see what he has to say.  Rob's #'s .... office 809-571-1849 ( a good year to hunt for gold).   cell   809-676-2450 PM me for more info.  Have a great time here in the DR.   I am not an agent or sales person, just someone who likes sharing this island.   I'm Tamas Janda of Sosua. Have good friends who live in Cabrera. You will like the town.

Hi, Just retired this year. I currently have a condo in Bavaro and am playing the snowbird thing, but I'm getting the bug and am thinking of making it full time but if I do I'd like something a little quieter and not in tourist town. Heard there is a strong Canadian contingent up in Sosua so I plan to check that out. You know what they say 'Birds of a feather...'. Found this site the other day and figured that this is just what I need to help me decide and what I will need to do. Having said that, I'd like to say a Canadian thank you to all in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I am Jane, Canadian and we just bought a house between Sosua and Cabarete. It is a new build and won't be ready until closer to the end of the year, but that's great as it gives us plenty of time to prepare!
This forum is wonderful as it answers so many questions that I didn't think to ask while I was there.
I will be a constant on here as I am so looking forward to being part of this incredible community on such a beautiful, WARM, island.
- Jane

Welcome, new smiles are a benefit to all.  Concrete takes 28 days for its' initial cure. It should not be painted before then. If painted, the results are not a long lasting finish. Ask the project manager for a copy of his flow chart. No chart, just ask about the painting schedule. Plaster ( stucco) adds to the curing time.  The place won't fall down if painted too soon, just means painting it again sooner than normal.  Now that you are awake, your are ready for a life of many new things, lots of laughter, lots of patience and most of all new friends & places to explore. the beauty of the people & land can & will astound . Again welcome.

Hi everyone I am currently living in Canada and getting tiered of the winters. I am hoping to move to Dominican Republic about August this year. I would be looking for a bar to purchase not to big and not to expensive. I have been in the bar business for 25 years in Canada, USA, Mexico and Brazil so have a pretty good idea what to look for. I am 63 not retired just tired single and also looking to make some new friends

Not sure yet where to look first was thinking maybe sosua as it seems a bit cheaper with nice beaches and tourists.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great
Cheers

You are right about Sosua. Been here on the North shore for many years. I too have been in the business for most of my life in one aspect or another. From design or renno, run,manage ,hands on build to owner /chef.. Love the business. I sold my restaurant/bar in St croix & moved here. My suggestion is to come here & explore the options. Stay away from the large realtors. Go & meet local people who have extensive local knowledge. PM me for info & ideas. Good that you want small, better chances of finding & keeping what you want. I am not an agent nor do I have any skin in the game. There are many good folks here,of course, there are some scoundrels too.

Hi thanks for the response. As I said I hope to come in August and look around. Can you suggest any other places that might be good to look at for bars other than Sosau.

Thanks!

Many bars open then close. almost always due to poor management or just thinking that all you have to do is open beer or pour drinks. It is a business and as such must be run as a business. Most have no idea of the many hats you must wear & have to be good at. Things that work in one area doesn't mean it will work in another place. The ego must be defined by a viable market. The north shore has both tourist towns & more laid back quiet towns where the old   corner type bars do well. PM me for more details. Different clients,

Hi there!  I'm new to the forums, there is so much fantastic information here, thank you!  Planning to relocate from Canada to the Higüey area permanently in about 6 years, but traveling back and forth every few months in the meantime as my boyfriend lives there (no I did not meet him on a resort lol). I sincerely appreciate all of the great information and conversations I'm reading on here.

Welcome to the forums and glad we can help!

Hi everyone !  Planner and Bob K, you guys are a team ! I've read so many useful information on this site.

I'm from the island, currently living in Santo Domingo, and studying to become a Veterinarian (soon to graduate); hoping to find a job in my area in the North Coast.  Any useful insight about Veterinary clinics or field work for Vets? 

My boyfriend and I are exhausted to be living in the city, we've always been campo people at heart, and lovers of the waves.

We've bordered the north coast: Samana, Nagua, Cabrera, Rio san juan, Cabarete, Encuentro... in search for waves, and we've stayed at some cheap but safe little "hostals" on our days there. We've also bordered the South and East Coast all the way to Punta Cana and Miches. 

We are mainly interested in moving to Puerto Plata , especially interested in finding the safest areas, based on Dominican income.   We have family living in Punta Cana,  but we feel we'll get more bang for our buck in the North Coast, and we are already accustomed to be fully immersed in the Dominican Lifestyle (apagones, colmadones, etc)

We feel that Puerto Plata is a lot safer than Sosua and Cabarete, and transportation won't be an issue for us.   

We have an income of about 800 dollars a month (together, not 800 each, sadly); we work with an American Company online, which gives us the flexibility of working anywhere and anytime (unfortunately, they are not paying us according to American standards, but Dominican standards).
We currently pay US$300 in a shared apartment in the city.   I have my hopes up that we'll find an apartment for the both of us for around that price in Pto Plata.  Can anyone be of guidance in which areas are the safest in Pto Plata?

Costambar?  Near La Sirena? El Doral? CocaCola? Cerro Alto? Las Caobas? Bayardo? Los Reyes?  I know these names, because I've been looking at COROTOS for reference and also Google Maps.    However, we are planning to actually drive there and just, you know, boots on the ground, but tips and experiences are always welcomed.

On the other hand, if anyone needs any tips, information, or guidance for the city lifestyle, be sure to let me know !

Enthusiast.ale wrote:

Hi everyone !  Planner and Bob K, you guys are a team ! I've read so many useful information on this site.

I'm from the island, currently living in Santo Domingo, and studying to become a Veterinarian (soon to graduate); hoping to find a job in my area in the North Coast.  Any useful insight about Veterinary clinics or field work for Vets? 

My boyfriend and I are exhausted to be living in the city, we've always been campo people at heart, and lovers of the waves.

We've bordered the north coast: Samana, Nagua, Cabrera, Rio san juan, Cabarete, Encuentro... in search for waves, and we've stayed at some cheap but safe little "hostals" on our days there. We've also bordered the South and East Coast all the way to Punta Cana and Miches. 

We are mainly interested in moving to Puerto Plata , especially interested in finding the safest areas, based on Dominican income.   We have family living in Punta Cana,  but we feel we'll get more bang for our buck in the North Coast, and we are already accustomed to be fully immersed in the Dominican Lifestyle (apagones, colmadones, etc)

We feel that Puerto Plata is a lot safer than Sosua and Cabarete, and transportation won't be an issue for us.   

We have an income of about 800 dollars a month (together, not 800 each, sadly); we work with an American Company online, which gives us the flexibility of working anywhere and anytime (unfortunately, they are not paying us according to American standards, but Dominican standards).
We currently pay US$300 in a shared apartment in the city.   I have my hopes up that we'll find an apartment for the both of us for around that price in Pto Plata.  Can anyone be of guidance in which areas are the safest in Pto Plata?

Costambar?  Near La Sirena? El Doral? CocaCola? Cerro Alto? Las Caobas? Bayardo? Los Reyes?  I know these names, because I've been looking at COROTOS for reference and also Google Maps.    However, we are planning to actually drive there and just, you know, boots on the ground, but tips and experiences are always welcomed.

On the other hand, if anyone needs any tips, information, or guidance for the city lifestyle, be sure to let me know !

I created a new thread for my inquiry
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 29#4119766

Welcome to the forum. And that was exactly the right thing to do!!!

Thank,you.

After a long holiday I am back.  So a warm welcome to all newbies.  I love this place!

Pleased to have you & planner back. You two are the bedrock of the site.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am one of the most recent newbies to join the "club" here!  I currently live in the US but I'm planning to spend 12 months in DR beginning in the July/August time-frame. 

I currently work from home as an IT/Business Consultant which also, lucky for me, means I can work from anywhere in the world.  Although my knowledge on DR is currently limited, as I have just begun doing my research, my objective will always be to add as much value to this group as I possibly can.

I'm not one to ask the fire to give me heat before I throw the logs on.

I will be starting a brand new chapter in my life with this relocation to DR and I look forward to getting to know you all better over the coming months.  I'm super laid back, genuine and authentic in every sense of these words. 

I did post an ad in the classifieds yesterday looking for someone to share expenses on a villa with me so if you're looking for an awesome place to stay, feel free to reach out!

Can't wait to begin experiencing this new adventure! 

Jeff

Welcome Jeff!!!!  read read read and ask questions.

We look forward to your participation, keep us posed on your adventure!

Always glad to read & meet new folks. Welcome to a new adventure. Where & hat is the villa like, size, cost, features etc.  How did you decide on its' location? I didn't see the ad. What do you do for relaxation, for fun, hobbies and so forth? Again welcome to the island.

Welcome. Lots of good folks and good info for you here.  Read and ask a way. What part of the country are you looking to live in?

Bob K

Absolutely!  Thanks for the warm welcome!  Sincerely appreciated!

Closed