New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hello everybody!  I have nationality of Finland,. I am living in Bello with my open marriage Colombian wife, Have been about one year, but not continuously. I moved here from Ecuador, were I have been living since my second wife died 2014.

My interests are keeping myself fit,  in spite of my 75 years, also for my wife who is 19 years younger. Others are music, I love karaoke and listening especially latino music and eating very healthily. I love to experiment all fruits and things to eat here.

I love walking and I do not especially worry about being robbed, not carrying valuables and having clothes like locals. Looks like it works, nobody has been asking me anything in English, very often in Spanish. I am catholic, not originally but turned to this in South America, It gives me much support in life.

Helloy All,
John from USA living in Cali but moving to Cartagena this summer. HAve tons of questions like do most of you live outside of Bocagrande / Manga tourist area and commute to the beach or did you choose to invest in waterfront living? If you did choose suburbia, which communities / barrios do you like? My GF lives away from beach in La Carolina, have never been there but looking for somewhere maybe to the West?
Thanks

handymantulsa wrote:

Helloy All,
John from USA living in Cali but moving to Cartagena this summer. HAve tons of questions like do most of you live outside of Bocagrande / Manga tourist area and commute to the beach or did you choose to invest in waterfront living? If you did choose suburbia, which communities / barrios do you like? My GF lives away from beach in La Carolina, have never been there but looking for somewhere maybe to the West?
Thanks

I tried to live in pie LA popa , San Fernando portals and castellana .
You could save much money only if you aren't in  Boca Grande

tjussi42 wrote:

Hello everybody!  I have nationality of Finland,. I am living in Bello with my open marriage Colombian wife, Have been about one year, but not continuously. I moved here from Ecuador, were I have been living since my second wife died 2014.

My interests are keeping myself fit,  in spite of my 75 years, also for my wife who is 19 years younger. Others are music, I love karaoke and listening especially latino music and eating very healthily. I love to experiment all fruits and things to eat here.

I love walking and I do not especially worry about being robbed, not carrying valuables and having clothes like locals. Looks like it works, nobody has been asking me anything in English, very often in Spanish. I am catholic, not originally but turned to this in South America, It gives me much support in life.

You know how to live better than many people
It will be pleasure to have a great friend like you

Hey everyone,

I'm also John from the USA and I am exploring places to live outside of the USA.

I am a 47, single, disabled war veteran and I will be renting a place from November to May in Cartagena.

I'm looking on airbnb for places now, and any information regarding where to live, pricing, etc will be appreciated.

I look forward to meeting English speakers to show me around and the ins and outs of the city.

Please feel free to reach out to me.

Italia welcome. Id offer but I dont know that particular city. But, I thank you for your service!

Hi John

Hey I would like to chat with you a bit by tel.

Can you Private Message me and we can exchange info

?? question: are you 100% locked on Cartegena or are you flexible i.e. Santa Marta ???

USAMRIO,

My whatsapp is ***

John

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details for your own security

Hi again John

Im sure you are going to need to Private Message me. No personal info on public part of forum.

Get back with me and we will make contact by WhatsApp

Thank you for correcting me

Hello all,

I'm new on this site and just moved to Colombia, Bogota almost 3 weeks now. I'm Malaysian, previously lived in Seoul for 2 years. :)

(Pardon me for any grammar mistakes)  :thanks:

Jassicca welcome to the forum, I look forward to reading your views on the country.

How is it living there compared to other cities?  Cost of living, nightlife, things to do .Medellin,Cali,Bogota, etc.

Thanks

Hi there, very new here. I have been thinking of moving to colombia, I am a disabled vet.

Nice to meet you

Hi to all you expats,
I have been traveling  to Colomiba three to four times a year for the last 15 years working
for a Danish company and as expected I fell in love with a Colombian girl in 2011.
We got married in Denmark back in 2016 and are now living in Medellín permanently.

I work as a frelance consultant  doing software development.

Howdy, flying to Medellin on Sunday, going into a Spanish Immersion program in El Poblado ... would love to get together for dinner and chit chat, I'm from the states.

Hello
I have retired in Medellin and I am from Canada. I am looking to find how to get a Colombian drivers here Medellin. I understand the you yo do 20 hours of in class lessons however I do not speak Spanish or understand Spanish well enough. Would anyone here know if the are driving schools that offer English?
Thanks All

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Posted by error

Do you live in Colombia? Trying to figure out what the the third link sent applies too.

creech wrote:

Do you live in Colombia? Trying to figure out what the the third link sent applies too.

The third link gives 20 sample questions for the written driver test.

If you meant the fourth link, that is just a general information page, and does not have any of the questions on the test.

I do not currently live in Colombia, but in the USA.  I visited Colombia first in 1996, and numerous times since then mostly with my colombiana wife of almost 18 years.  I speak fluent Spanish, having lived as a child in Quito almost 60 years ago and having worked on my fluency ever since then.

Dear Creech,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of expat.com...

As this thread is for self-intros only, please do one or more of the following to gain information about obtaining a drivers license in Colombia....

1.  Start a new thread on that topic.

2.  Visit existing threads on that topic and related topics.. and post there as needed.

cccmedia

Why would you call me a gringo sir?

Peggy Daugherty here, currently living in Denver, Colorado - wanting to relocate to Cartagena. I am traveling there in November for a scouting trip. I want to continue my work in the healing arts, but that would be later when I am re-located to my new home, I would like to meet up with some people who are currently living in Cartagena or long term visitors.

Hi Peggy, still not found your forever home? Like me... Leaving Nicaragua soon, will spend some time in Costa Rica and probably Panama, then eventually Columbia (Caribbean coast) or back to Madagascar - who knows...

Yes - still searching for my home - stay safe please - sorry we lost track of each other. You can email me
Pegggy

I am attracted to - to Colombia - I am traveling there in November - for an initial "scouting" trip - north coast. blessings to you

Hi everyone,

I'm Linh, from Texas! I am currently a ESL teacher and I"m looking to start my life in Medellin soon!
I'm so excited!

Hi, I'm Roger (45) and new to the forum. I emigrated from Switzerland (Basel) to Medellin 2 years ago. On a six-week trip through Colombia in 2015, I fell in love with the country and decided to live here. In the meantime, I have a life partner who is a lawyer. I am Swiss CPA ****

Reason : Please don't promote your services on the forum. Advertising is not allowed. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Greetings all, I am currently living in Central Florida but have aspirations of moving to Pereira next spring. I have made two visits in the past few months with another 10 trip scheduled in September. I find Colombia to be amazing and I have thoroughly enjoyed my short visits there. I am looking forward to September. I have read that there is nice expat group in Pereira that meets regularly. I hope I can find them! Until then......

Hi, everyone!
I'm Jenny, from Venezuela. I'm an English teacher. I'm looking to make a plot twist of my life and decided to move to Cajicá, Cundinamarca around mid September for 5-6 months. Cajicá looks like a calm and cool town with lots of nature around to explore. I'd like to know if there are any expat groups that meets in or around Cajicá (Bogotá being the biggest city near Cajicá, might a place for meetings?) And if meetings are in English, much better. Would love to get together. Anyone from or in Cajicá by that time? Thanks in advance.
Cheers! Until then!
Jenn

Jenny My Dear,

I am sending you a PM message about contacting a group that holds regular meetups in your area.

cccmedia

Thank you, cccmedia!

Go to DIAN with bank statements to be tax except and have a government person fill out the form.

Hi Laura, I'm Steve in SantaMarta, Magdalena. Welcome to the forum.
If I can be of any help let me know.

Greetings !!

This is shreeram, Senior UI/UX designer from Hongkong. Migrating to BOGOTA in 20 days. Planning to start a new life there. I been to bogota already.

arrived in Medellin mid-May after a week's look-see last December - liked what I saw then and the rest is history ;)
Spent my first month here at Blink Immersion escuela in Manila - picked up a little Spanish and had fun
Next two months with a lovely Paisa familia in Mesa, Envigado.
This past month - another branch of the same family in El Dorado - now looking for an apartment in the Magnolia area.
Expect to have my Retirement Visa approved by first week in October, then it's back in Spanish class in Magnolia.
This is only my third try ever on a forum; hope I can contribute. My analog mind does not function at its best  in the digital whirl.
I use email and a flip-phone; have no interest in the rest. However, I am on the lookout for a bi-lingual computer techie who can set me up with Linux and knows how to help me get away from the prying eyes of the tech giants: Google, etc. I really miss my privacy, no matter how Quixotic that may be.
Well, that's it. See ya 'round ;)   
Namaste, NjW 2018-09-22

creech
Keep this blog close if you haven't already run across it - lots of really great articles, including this recent one on driver's licenses  medellinguru.com/colombian-drivers-license/  NjW

Hey there:  I live in RIONEGRO.  American expat; former lawyer; 72 yrs old.  Love to play cards and ride bicycles.  Need a new Spanish teacher as that is my main occupation these days.

Peggy:  I lived in Boulder for about 5 years and relocated here.  First to Medellin and then to Rionegro. * Contact me if you want.

Hi Linh:  I lived in Medellin for the last 8 months and enjoyed it.  I now live in Rionegro.  Contact me about the pros and cons of the two towns, if you want.  Medellin is nice, but very crowded and very polluted. my whatsapp is *** ed

Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Closed