New members of the China forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the China forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in China if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi There!

Benny here from Singapore! Just moved to Shanghai for a month, currently working as a events consultant. Hope to make some new friends here and possibly join some sports group here.

Cheers!

New in Shanghai. Looking for new friends. Come from Bulgaria.

Hey!

I'm a Canadian in Dalian. Prior to this, I lived in Guizhou Province.

I speak mostly English, but I know French and am studying Russian.

Looking for friends. Anyone else?

Inbox message me 😀

Former US Expat looking to go back to Xiamen. I worked and had my own company in Xiamen for 6 years from 2008 to 2014 and my wife (who is Chinese and parents are living in Xiamen) are looking to move back. Any suggestions on finding a job other than English teaching (I have experience working in Import / Export, Logistics, Factory management, auditing, B2B sales and can speak mandarin)

Hello Everyone
I am local in Shandong and volunteer helping providing living tips to foreigners who wants to stay in China.
If any help you need from me, you can let me know.

Hi,Here is Chengdu,i want to find someone be new friend who loves dog and Board Game.Message me.

Hi there. I am Michelle from Singapore. My family and I moved to Shenzhen last year and we would love to meet and make new friends!

Hello!

I'm a 21 year old British girl. I've recently moved to Guangzhou. I'm looking to make new friends!

Chloe  :)

Hello, I'm Amy from DC area in USA.  I am a Chinese woman lived in US for 30+ years and retired.  I lived in Shenzhen and Zhongshan, Guangdong for a few years  and ready to move back.

Hi Cloe, How are you getting on in China?
It is an interesting place to live.

Hi,  everyone! My husband and I are moving to Guangzhou in July for me to teach! Hoping to meet some new friends!

Hi Julien,
Ron here. Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself.
I am a retired gent with interests in travel to China. I am 64 and was born in London, an Australian citizen with an Australian passport. Much of my working life revolved around engineering design and drafting of concrete and steel structures for the commercial, industrial and domestic sectors. Civil engineering and property developments were also part of my career. I play golf and intend having a few rounds while in China. I will be travelling there alone but would welcome a companion if one was wanting to do a similar trip from Brisbane or meet in Shenzhen. At this stage all is flexible excluding the tour dates which I cannot change.
I have already posted some questions on this forum but wish to find someone I can correspond with who is English speaking and lives in Shenzhen and maybe with some experience in achieving the appropriate visa, arranging accommodation, etc.
I plan to visit Shenzhen this coming November 2018. The duration is variable but I have signed up for a 10 day tour there commencing November 21 to December 1. I was hoping to arrive maybe a week earlier and stay longer if things work out.
In my post I mentioned that I would like to visit inland cities which are away from the tourist areas but wonder if there are areas which are not safe to visit alone so I can avoid those places.
Do you think there might be someone that could assist me with these issues?
thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.
Cheers
Ron

Well, I think China is the most safe country in the world, so you can go anywhere alone. Most Chinese can speak English, at least basic English, so there won't have communication problem.
Good Luck~

Thank you Dominique for your reply. Ron here.
Could you suggest someone you might know in Shenzhen who I might converse with? I have tried to contact people who reside there however I haven't received any reply as yet.
Was also hoping you might give me some tips and advice.
I live 2 hrs north of Brisbane and have been corresponding with a lady in Shenzhen through a dating website called AFA. She lives and works in Shenzhen. We are considering marriage but need t to correspond outside the AFA system to plan our future. It is difficult for her to access my personal email as AFA will not issue these details without her signing a clearance form and she doesn't feel comfortable with doing that. Apparently it is required by US law to reduce the risk of abuse.
I have written a letter to her but not sent it as yet. In it I have hinted at ways she could access my email address because if I clearly type my email address in my letter the translator at AFA will delete it before it gets to her.
My profile name at AFA, facebook, gmail and this site is 'riteon'. The logo I created is for an E commerce store I am building and the letters in the logo represent RON. 'RiteON'.
Problem is, I have facebook and gmail accounts and I believe that they are blocked in China.
So my questions are,
Can she search for my accounts from her Chinese browser?
Will she be able to send an email to my gmail account from her email account?
Can she send messages from her 'facebook' to my facebook?
If I reply to her from my facebook and gmail accounts can she access them from her Chinese email account?
If she cannot send or receive to my accounts should I try to sign up for a Chinese account?
I have already tried to sign up to Wechat and renren but they wouldn't accept my mobile number.
Sorry to be a nuance, guess you have many things to do too. Hope I haven't inconvenienced you.
Take care, hope to hear from you soon and have a great day.
Cheers
Ron

Hello,

I am looking forward to meeting with new people in Dalian

Br,
Inigo

Hi Everybody,

New to the forum, albeit not as new as some of the people to China. Moved to Shanghai about 3 months back to join Coca-Cola from Pakistan. While I moved from Pakistan, had various stints in Belgium, Canada, South Africa...so on and so forth :/

Just trying to find my circle....

I am in Beijing, helping foreign companies and individuals to start their buisnesses in China. Hope I can find more friends and help more people.

Hello all

I am from South Africa and moving to China, Yiwu in 2 weeks time. All this is stressful enough without having to make friends. In desperate need of like minded people to hang out with and exchange experiences. I will be teaching English and hoping to make friends all over china so if you are interested inbox me.

May the force be with you :)

Hi there

I will be In yiwu in 2 weeks time. Looking for friends too. I am 3hrs away from shanghai.

Let me know or inbox me.

Hi Julian.
I have recently moved from UK to China with my wife. We live in Jiangsu Nantong City. All seems quiet a culture shock at the moment but im sure time and some good Mandorin teacher will help things.
How are you settling to China?

Good Morning,

I am currently residing in Guangzhou and working at a small college/university. I would like to meet new people, and most importantly, get together with some folks interested in board games. I only have TABOO with me, but would love to find other games. RISK is also a favorite, as is CHARADES. There are some rock climbing walls in Guangzhou if anyone is up for it, please let me know (lets get a group together).  Lets meet, make friends, dazzle each other with our wonderful accents, argue about hellish Guangzhou summers, and charm each other with my...erhhh,,,i mean OUR wit!

Cheers!

Hello community,

Its Nonoke ( pronounced: No - No - ki) from South Africa, will be moving to Guangzhou in April. I'll be teaching with English First.

I'm a Logistics and Supply Chain professional and I'm looking forward to the change of scenery.

I enjoy a bit of everything: music, sport, food, arts, books and road tripping.

Here's to meeting new people, making friends and getting to know the town and its people.

See you soon.

Nonoke 😃

Hi everybody, I'm Eric. Moving from Boston to Beijing in June. I'm running into some issues with getting documentation all squared away, that seem to be Massachusetts specific issues. Hoping I might find some answers here. Also looking to make some friends for once I've made it to my new home!

Hello everyone!!! Moving to Beijing in August..amazing school but I'm needing to meet people before I arrive!! I realized I know nothing about living abroad and I'm kind of freaking out!! LOL. A little about me-living in Texas..I'm a gym rat, runner, shopper, overall lover of people and travel!! Single. No kiddos. So I'm moving all by myself and super super excited!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I'm Gina from San Francisco -- and I'm getting pretty close to signing a deal with a Hong Kong company. My son, 14, and I will be moving to HK by June 1.

We are now trying to find out good schools for Eric and the best neighborhood for us and our small dog, Lola.

Nice to meet you all!
gina
gs

Hi!
My name is Ekaterina!
Staying in Shanghai for 3 years,
working for a consulting company, helping businessmen make business in China.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi All,
My name is Heather and literally just started my 2yr work assignment in Shanghai 2 days ago, hailing from the UK.

Would love to make new friends and really see what other expats have to share. Love to join sporting classes such as spinning (indoor cycling) and yoga.

Nice to meet you all!

Hi BennyTan,

Did you find any sporting teams? I literally moved to Shanghai two days ago

hi I am Ying ,local in Changzhou,but work in the suzhou for half a year.i would like to meet friends here . Nice to meet you all !

HI I am Rubén , I came from South America , Colombia country, very nice to be here and enjoy this wonderful country, actually I am living and working in Shanghai. Hope to be able to meet Friends in here, wish you a good day.

Hi guys,

My name is Dan. I'm from Indonesia. I just got back from finishing some work project in Chengdu, I'm currently staying in Songjiang University Town area. Looking forward to meet up some new friends here.

I've been living and working in China for 12 years now.

I love playing board games, sports (especially badminton), hang out with friends, travelling, gastronomy :) .

Loveless wrote:

Hello everyone. I study in Suzhou, I live in China already 3 years. Hoping to meet some new friends.

hi nice to meet you !where do u study in ?

Hi there, I am looking to move to Shanghai at the end of this year. I'm currently working as a consultant in my home country Australia. In China I am looking to open up my options for work, including teaching English.

Hi there,

I am Sahar from Egypt. I have been living in Shenzhen for almost a year and half. I have been in China almost for 4 years! Looking forward to seeing new friends

Hello,

Hope all is well! Do you work in GZ?

Does anyone use wechat here, please drop your wechat id in my private message, I also sell a lot of products and have friends who sell products all over china

Hi,
This is Manjeer. I am coming to Hangzhou in a month and looking for new friends and some information when required. Hi to all.

Hi,
I'm Angela, I'm a student in Beijing, been here for a half year. 
Hoping to meet some new friends.

Hi there,

I am local Shanghainese just came back to my hometown after ten year expat life in New Zealand. I know life would be much easier in a foreign country if you can find some local friends.

Here I am. lol :D

Closed