Rentals

Any website that have local availability?

Of what????? cars?  Apartments?  Houses?

Prefer una casita, but I would also consider an apartment.
Unfurnished would be ideal.

And where on the island are you looking? And for when?   We have some sites but most cater to either high end or high end touristy!

Check out cladificados dominican republic. A good website for many things including reap estate

Moving in the fall to Jarabacoa, and I'm certainly not looking for high end. Just modest and humble.
I live in Sarasota Fl, with a beach nearby. It a tourist trap and home to many millionaires on the Gulf of Mexico.
I don't have a problem living like the locals, I've lived in the Bahamas and Cuba, but want to settle down there.
I am looking forward to living in the mountains again.

In that are you will not likely find anything online. You will need to find a short term rental-  hotel or air bnb and then drive or walk around. Look for signs and start talking to people.

Greeting ,
Since I don't know what you know , nothing is intended with malious.
Just check out the fault lines. I have seen mountains cut in have by earthquakes Amongst the 3 mountain ranges on the island. A lot of esoteric things gone on up there. The are towns with 10-20 thousand populations right before the mountains start to rise. What i have noticed trending is that people of the town's are starting to move 10 -15 minutes from the town center do to noise  i.e. motors , intoxicated people and my favorite the roosters . They also want more privacy as well .Some are less than an hour from the beach in the north coast .Cost can range from 200 a month with a 2 bedroom or 400 to rent a house. You be expected to pay for your utilities. What might be helful is to hire a local to ask the price for you but make sure they are not from that particular town. Planner made reference to boots on the ground already.
Some rentals are asking for the year rent up front but I don't feel comfortable with that my self. You will be obligated to pay the attorney for the contract which is not a large fee. We rent a house out and I made sure to put into the contract if court action is needed that the tenant would be responsible for attorney and court fees. I was told " we don't do that here " and in my eligante New York fashion I said " now you do ". It is a contract if you don't like the terms don't sign the contract.
If you don't read Spanish especially legalese , have it translated at your cost. Love those mountains but I go to the roof to enjoy the view.
Best of luck.
John s

Thanks so much guys, that is food for thought.
I will have feet on the ground, as you call it, next month staying at an Air A&.
I speak español, and know a couple of trustworthy locals there in Jarabaco. As for the earthquake, they can happen in lots of places. Hurrucanes are the same here as there, i.e. Irma
I live in Siesta Key, Sarasota (talk about touristy and high end!) and I'm willing to give up the beach (supposedly voted #1 beach in US last year) I'm sure the beaches there are just as beautiful.

Dont worry about  earthquakes, it is happens it happens. Hurricanes,  we prepare for them and deal with em.

Everywhere you could live there is something.  Make the best of it.