The best apps for expats in Malaysia

Hello,

We invite you to share information regarding some of the apps that have helped to facilitate your move abroad in Malaysia. This will help expats-to-be who are making the move as well.

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Malaysia?

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Malaysia: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Malaysia and why?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Because of the unpredictability of the weather, I use The Weather Channel, especially their hourly forecasts.

Google Maps, Grab (This one is essential!), Lazada, Carlist (If looking for a car).

I don't see how Apps will make expats life particularly different, it just makes everyone's lives easier.

There's a notable gap when it comes to government and utility smart services, and this is where everyone suffers equally, while frustration is greater for expats coming from countries with relatively better smart services.

Grab and uber for transport

Propertyguru, Waze, grabcar,  1utama, foodpanda

I dont think there are any apps to actually facilitate a move to Malaysia. Google for searching out questions is all I can think of. Also the newspapers if they have apps.

Forums are a great way to help but is there an Expat.com app for that? Ive been in Malaysia long enough that before I came there were no forums. I used dating sites to meet Malaysians and ask questions. But thats a function of the PC, not necessarily an app. Same is true for job hunters using websites to look for jobs and submit applications. But as those sites are becoming more modern, Jobstreet.com is one example having its own mobile app but Im not aware of its full capabilities. Most apps in general want data from your phone and for that reason I would likely continue to use websites.

That said and not to digress from the topic, do people expect a smartphone to do everything, even facilitate a move? Maybe if I knew what exactly people want before coming to Malaysia I could give a better answer.

The Lorry app is very useful - https://thelorry.com/

Lorry move stuff, basically. It can be any amount and anywhere in Malaysis and also cross border with Singapore. So moving between the two countries is simply done.

They can pick up large items you have bought, such as secondhand fridges, furniture, etc. and deliver safely.

Lorry can also dispose of stuff (junk in a condo or office).

My other favourite app is Bungkusit (On demand Delivery). Bungkus is the Malay term for "wrap" when taking away - such as getting a drink in a bag.

https://bungkusit.com.my/

This app is having an errand person to go and get something for you (e.g. collect your favourite food when its raining) or do  something you don't have time to do (e.g. buy a last minute gift).

My favourite app is Bungkusit App the on-demand delivery of Anything and everything in 60 minutes.

www.bungkusit.com.my

It really help me in my everyday life alot.  My area there's hardly any amenities around.
So I usually use the bungkusit app to buy my groceries, buy food and sometimes even get the Roadie to collect my food from my friends place.

Other than food, I usually use it to send urgent documents and parcels for my office and sometimes send a surprise gift to my colleagues :)

Yes definitely Bungkusit is amazing!!

For me it's grab, uber, lazada, 11street.my, waze, foodpanda, mudah, carlist, jobstreet, mydigi, maybank, my tesco online, tgv cinemas, sunwaypals, pyramid, meetup, jaya grocer, popbox, events near me and they certainly have made life easier!

I've been in Malaysia for about a month now. I was recommended this food discovery app, hands down the best food finder if you are staying in Kuala Lumpur area!

It was recommended to me by a friend who says unsafe by a small start up here in KL so it's nice to know I'm helping them out. It has everything you would ever need to find a great place to eat.

You can search by any cuisine or food type, the top trending or food type. You can even press a button that links the restaurant location with uber, how cool is that! Would highly recommend this app to anyone visiting or staying.

It's called Munchh. Two hh's

What is the app called?

Edit - thanks for editing your comment.

It's called Munchh!

Grab and Google map