Changing from single work permit to spouse of EU citizen

Hi All,

I'm a non-eu citizen. I came to Malta in Oct 2016 after my employer applied for a work permit for me. After that time, I married an EU citizen so it would make sense to change to being spouse of EU citizen from TCN single work permit, rather than renewing the work permit every year. A few questions, if anyone knows the answer:

1) I've been married 13 months. I believe Malta identity will ask me to prove we've been in a relationship for longer than 2 years. What forms of proof are acceptable?

2) My current work permit I have to renew yearly, which is annoying because it means I can't leave the country for months while the renewal is being processed each and every year. How long would my ID card be valid for if I registered as spouse of EU citizen?

3) If I do go through the process, how long will it take? It took my wife 6 months(!) for her ID card to arrive, and I'm afraid it will take me the same time, which means I can't leave the country for 6 months as I'm assuming they will force me to give up my current ID card in the mean time.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

By ID I assume you mean residence card, when you apply you are given a temporary one which you can use until your are notified about collection of your card.   They will probably take quite a while this year as it's five years since the new cards were issued and all will have to be renewed.

GozoMo wrote:

By ID I assume you mean residence card, when you apply you are given a temporary one which you can use until your are notified about collection of your card.   They will probably take quite a while this year as it's five years since the new cards were issued and all will have to be renewed.

The problem with the temporary ones is that it specifically states they are not travel documents, which means I can't leave Malta while the application is processing.

@JV321

Re: Your questions: 

‘…….1) I've been married 13 months. I believe Malta identity will ask me to prove we've been in a relationship for longer than 2 years. What forms of proof are acceptable?

Response: Because you are married, documentary proof that you have been in a durable relationship for 2 years prior to the application for an ‘e-Residence Card' does NOT arise.

Please see: ‘Supporting documents' on page 3:

https://identitymalta.com/wp-content/up … Form-F.pdf

‘….2)…….How long would my ID card be valid for if I registered as spouse of EU citizen?

Response: The same as that of your EU spouse.

As regards your other concerns, seek advice and guidance from Christian Bulzomí, Legal Officer of Unit C/2 - Citizenship and Free movement, European Commission Directorate General Justice.

MO59 06/91 B-1049 Brussels/Belgium

Tel: +32 2 298 58 78

E-mail: christian.bulzomi[at]ec.europa.eu