New car market in Vietnam

Hello everyone

I am researching the internet about new cars in Vietnam.

I am wondering about the high car prices. The cars here are more expensive than in rich countries.  :huh:
I read that some cars are produced in Vietnam. Maybe these cars are cheaper to buy here.
Are there car brands which are cheaper than others here in Vietnam?

I also read that the tax for the imported car parts is reduced in 2018. So the car price for in Vietnam produced cars must be dropped.
How long will it take until the prices of the cars are dropped because of the reduced import taxes?
I have already visited two dealers. But they didn't want to know anything about falling prices.  :(

The dealers want about 10% of the car price for registering the car (license plate). Can I get this cheaper somewhere?

Is it worth it to import a car from neighboring countries (buy abroad and drive over the border)?  :unsure

What's about the used car market? I heard that 1-2 years old used cars are not much cheaper than new cars. Is the changing of the license plate to the new owner complicate?

I am not interested on expensive cars from VW, Audi, BMW, etc.
Rather on car brands like Hyundai, Mazda, Kia, Suzuki, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford, etc.
I am interested on a small SUV for up to 750'000'000 VND (incl. all Tax and license plate).

Thanks in advance.

You better get pickup truck, but their prices are rising as government want to increase their taxes.

Second hand maybe, but not new at that price.

you can search "mua bán ô tô cũ". there s many private sellers, who want to buy a new car and sell their old one. i think with 750 mil vnd u can buy a good used car. good luck.

Get yourself a motorbike instead .

..or an Armoured Personell Carrier..?    :whistle:

The 90% import duty is ramping down since 2016 so new cars should get cheaper. The schedule is probably in flux as new TPP-11 (CPTPP) signing is in March and Japan will want to get into the Vietnam market. The Toyota Innova (think Vinasun taxi) and Fortuner are made in Vietnam, not cheap but no duty. I don't know of other makes.
Vietnam govt doesn't seem to like imports of any used vehicle so I doubt you can get out of paying duty that way. Probably people with used cars will resist losing a lot from sudden deflation so new ones might be a bargain, also you won't worry about service history and parts scams.

If I ever live in a small town I'll get a car, by then prices should be more reasonable thanks to 'globalization'.

Anyway that's stuff I've read, maybe helps.