Moving to Salalah

Hi

I have a final interview for a job in Salalah to move from the UK with my wife.

Is there a large expat community in Salalah and what is it like to live there?

I can find very little information on lifestyle.

Any advice welcome.

Al

I am a Canadian expat and this is my third year living in Salalah. I am very happy here in my second home and plan to stay for a few more years at least. I enjoy the constant sunshine and blue skies (I leave for most of grey drizzly khareef from June to September), the mountainous backdrop, and the endless quiet, clean and uncrowded beaches along the Indian Ocean where you can often seen dolphins and watch the local traditional fishermen bringing in their heavy nets. It's a relatively quiet, peaceful city for nature lovers and the locals are friendly and warm. Snorkeling, scuba diving, and desert camping are popular leisure activities.  There are a couple hotel chains with nightclub but not a lot of nightlife. The shopping is basic and simple with one large mall (with a cinema) and several smaller ones. European and western foods are available but expensive. The banana, coconut and papaya plantations and roadside fruit stands are charming. I haven't used the medical or dental services to any great extent but had a good experience at an eye clinic following an accident, and there are many clinics and private hospitals as well as a government hospital. There are many vacant flats (furnished and unfurnished)  and villas available for relatively low rents (especially if you only want a September to June term). Check the OLX website or Salalah Buy and Sell Facebook group to get an idea of what is available. The majority of expats are Indian men from Kerala. There are some Americans and British expats who appear to be involved mainly in tourism or are Dhofar University faculty. The Oasis Club, near the Port, offers expats social activities, a restaurant and bar, a pool and a small bowling alley. British School serves the English speaking expat population. It is a lovely, small community school with around 120 students from preschool to year 9 currently. Depending on your lifestyle and needs, Salalah is a charming place to live. If you crave shopping, Dubai is a short two hour flight away. The airport is very modern and lovely, opened in 2015. Yes, it's difficult to find online information and word of mouth seems to reign over the almighty internet when it comes to finding answers to your questions.

Well gabby already told you all
As what she said salalah is a very quite and peaceful place with great weather year round
So would be a great option if u want to getaway from the busy cities .
The cons is your kids will not have much acitivies if any
Shopping is very seldome
Salalah is 1000 km from Muscat in a desert road not fun nor safe to drive
I think a short visit here before u relocate would give u a great idea !! Welcome

hi
salalah is very nice place , good nature and weather ,
it is not expensive to live here for long time ,
Driving license is important  but  i think
the only problem here that there are no direct flights ... if you are coming from anywhere it will be a long journey with high cost tickets