Looking for an amateur band where I can play the flute

Hello!

I'm looking for a band/amateur orchestra where I could play my flute / piccolo. I've been living in Malta for a couple of years and I miss playing with others.

Back home in Portugal, I used to play on my local marching band (did so since I was a young child), which played a mixed marching-band and wind-orchestra repertoire).

I've also played in youth orchestras and amateur symphonic bands, accompanying choruses and our local amateur theatre group, and with folk music chamber groups. The latter, alongside medieval music, is a favourite of mine.

I've tried contacting a couple of local band clubs on Facebook, but I've got no reply so far. I'm worried that the fact I don't speak Maltese could be an issue - although it would be great to feel more integrated with the local community in general. I'm also not too keen on playing only old-fashioned religious themes (my local band did so to support itself, but we'd try to play more recent composers as often as we could).

Does anybody have any advice?

anadealmeida wrote:

Hello!

I'm looking for a band/amateur orchestra where I could play my flute / piccolo. I've been living in Malta for a couple of years and I miss playing with others.

Back home in Portugal, I used to play on my local marching band (did so since I was a young child), which played a mixed marching-band and wind-orchestra repertoire).

I've also played in youth orchestras and amateur symphonic bands, accompanying choruses and our local amateur theatre group, and with folk music chamber groups. The latter, alongside medieval music, is a favourite of mine.

I've tried contacting a couple of local band clubs on Facebook, but I've got no reply so far. I'm worried that the fact I don't speak Maltese could be an issue - although it would be great to feel more integrated with the local community in general. I'm also not too keen on playing only old-fashioned religious themes (my local band did so to support itself, but we'd try to play more recent composers as often as we could).

Does anybody have any advice?

I'm sure you will eventually find your slot. Approach your local band clubs in person with your instruments. As for advice - ensure that you never appear to play the flute or piccolo better than a local person.