Want to talk to retired expats.

Thinking of relocating and dumping the Trump. You can read all my personal information in my profile so I won't repeat it here.  Just want to get a sense of what retired life is like from someone who's living it. I speak Spanish at a C+ level so communication will not be a big problem. I have some Thyroid and Kidney issues which must be monitored so I'd appreciate any information I can get on the Panama health care system. Hopefully from someone who's experienced it.

Among my many careers, I'm a magician as well. I know there are magicians out there all over the world. So if a senior, ex pat, magician would like to give me the Panama gimmick, I'd be pleased as punch.

Welcome Paul.

Thanks. Are you the official Ambassador? Or do you just play that role on expat.

jaja - just trying to present a friendly face in case. of.
😊

Many thanks.  :)   Well, you've read my story. What has your experience been like? What city would you recommend? I'll be coming down to check things out... any advice?

Thanks

I found the choices is places to settle in.panama limited u less you are ok with the searing hot temps on the  coast. youve got el valle, boquete and volcano. go to Panama and check them out.

I did that. I got my pensionado visa. but i have switched my focus to colombia due to the high cost of living in panama

Hi, Paul,

I am in a similar situation in wanting to connect with retirement-aged people in Panama (although, sadly for me, I am not yet retired...)  But I thought I would reach out and say hello, and ask whether you would be up for sharing any interesting information that comes your way, and I will do the same...

Margaret

Hi Paul,
Welcome should you chose to make the leap!

We have been here long enough that many left due to Bush, then Obama, and now Trump. I have to admit this is different this time but stick to the principle that it shouldn't be your primary reason for leaving the US.

I think my response sums up the politcal issue. Other than that, why Panama? We had a bucket list of whys and neither of what was below made the top 10:

1. Cost of living is less. Maybe it will be but suggest you do your due diligence on healthcare here.
2. Are you expecting to make a few bucks here? It's  possible but not that simple.

On the other hand we left and while it is not paradise, we have no desire to move back to the US.

My major recommendation and yes I am being redundant, is to do your own due diligence! How can anyone recommend where in Panama without understanding what your “ideal” environment is.

It's all here, but I'm not going to go through a province by province comparison!

Buen Suerte!

First and foremost. Understand that this site is for information regarding Panama, NOT politics!   62,979,636 do not agree with your position.....

My advice to you would be if you are considering any destination in the world that you do your own research and go for an extended period of time. I personally am visiting Pedasi Panama for a month this Spring..... It is great do take into account individual perceptions of others, which can be useful, but there is nothing like first hand experience.

Good luck with your search and if I could be of any help after my trip please do not hesitate to ask..

In case of . . :)

Spoken like a true Trump fan. I'm surprised you didn't call me Pathetic Paul.

First of all the email was NOT political at all. It just expressed one of my reasons for moving.

YOUR email however IS political, it contains nothing about how to retire to Panama.

Unlike you, I'm very comfortable with you living with and expressing your truth. That's called TOLERANCE. A moral characteristic you seem to lack. It's also called freedom of expression a Constitutional right which you seem more that happy to close down.

But who knows what the future holds. Only time will tell.

We have lived in David over 5 years and are really really happy here! But as everyone will tell you, it's not for everyone. Things don't always make sense or get done in a timely or efficient manner, but the people are super nice, it's a laid back lifestyle, the country is so beautiful, and we don't have snow or hurricanes. You can't leave Trump behind entirely though. People here are very aware of what goes on in the US and will ask about it. (I've never met a local who thinks he's a good thing) 

it's good that you can speak a fair amount of Spanish. You'll have much more fun and it makes things a lot easier.

In my limited experience with the health care system we have found it more than adequate, affordable, and much more human touch than in the US. Doctors will give you their cell phone numbers and all the time you need, in the private system. The public system is of course more crowded but super cheap, and still good care.

Come visit, see how it feels to you. Have consultations with doctors to be sure you will have your medical needs covered, and check if your medications are available here. Lots of things are cheaper here, especially outside of Panama City, but meds may be more expensive.

paulglickman wrote:

Spoken like a true Trump fan. I'm surprised you didn't call me Pathetic Paul.

First of all the email was NOT political at all. It just expressed one of my reasons for moving.

YOUR email however IS political, it contains nothing about how to retire to Panama.

Unlike you, I'm very comfortable with you living with and expressing your truth. That's called TOLERANCE. A moral characteristic you seem to lack. It's also called freedom of expression a Constitutional right which you seem more that happy to close down.

But who knows what the future holds. Only time will tell.

Really???  Personally, I wouldn't pass judgement on someone I do not  know with a derogatory remark or try to take some ill conceived moral high ground. It is easy to start playing,  it is my constitutional right as long as everyone's truth fits your perception of what the truth is... When it does not, you go on a rant and try to label someone. Cant we all just get along?

I brought the rules of the site to your attention and I offered my help... End of story. If I offended you, I am sorry.

Good Luck to you.

And to you as well.

Cant help with the health issues but panama is much more relaxing than the states

when you refer to the high cost of living in panama is true it does cost more here than when i arrived 17 years ago and paid 650 for my pensianado visa .. and the cost of food has tripled in that period of time and medical cost and drugs are going up on a regular basis . example i just paid 32 fr a doctors visit with my discount and i can remember paying 15 at the same clinic years past. but for me i can still live here on my pension and could not in the us ,, i paid 65,000 for my home it appraises for 130,000 now. i buy local food at he farmers  market and get my meat at a local chino all for half what is cost in the city ,, living in the country has its advantages as well . i to go to colombia on a regular basis to visit friends that have moved there from here ,, i have a cedula for both countries but still choose to live in panama ,,