Howdy, want to say hi. 😊

Married in Ciudad Valles, SLP in 2016, moved to Matamoros to be in middle of her family and mine in SATX. I'm a daily crosser, work in Brownsville, TX but live a 1/4 mile from the bridge so to say the least it has been very challenging getting used to this new life. Just had a baby and happy to say just got her papers for dual citizenship. 😊 I'm an LVN but also have a lengthy business background, trying to make the decision to chase Mexican nationality here or take the new wife to live forever in Texas which for some reason I don't think is a good idea. 😕  Wanted to see if anyone here on this board had any insider tips on making life easier...the little things.  I have been crossing for about a year and a half and only have my passport....should I look into getting a work visa? I would like to teach English but would I need a degree in order to teach in Mexico....Ive thought about just moving further in as well...allowing my wife to support us (she is also a nurse) while I get myself integrated in the system. I could keep on and on...guess I feel stuck....any insight to provide would be appreciated.

Raoul (pronounced Raul) 😉

hola Raoul,

If you can have dual citizenships that would be good. At this time,  as you seem to know, living in Mexico is probably much cheaper and likely safer. Many seem to think it is a good idea to come to Mexico and teach English, and many try to do that. The truth is that many here already speak some English or are bilingual. I , as well as some others help people with English for free.

Your nursing may be a much better fit. They seem to be looking for people to teach nursing. It has been suggested that I come out of retirement, and teach nursing here, but I retired early for a reason. I don't want to pursue nursing professionally any longer, and don't need to. As for the English , some schools have now shifted to offering Mayan languages, and not focusing on English so much.

If I were you, I would look into moving here and seeking dual citizenship and some sort of nursing position. I would also look at moving as quickly as possible more inland. That border is one of the more unsafe areas. If things haven't changed too much Texas should have reciprocity with California , you could get a license there and live somewhere south of Tijuana.
Tijuana is very stable, lot's of English speakers and who knows they may need nurses also. You have more going for you than many moving here.

Buena suerte

🤔🤔🤔 I hadn't thought about teaching nursing...that is definitely something to consider looking into thanks! Yes making money in Texas and living in Mexico is just amazing...but the little inconvenient things about living here just make me want to leave. 😐 I need to open up a business or something...make some kind of progress on this side if possible.

I am retired and l could not remain in the usa because of my fixed income pension i receive from the gov. so my youngest boy who lives here in CIUDAD JUAREZ with his hispanic wife has a job, like you, across the border.he travels from juarez every day across the border to work in ELPASO. i want to become citizenized here in mexico. but am finding out it is not that simple i am allowed to remain in juarez for 180 days but according to the mx rules has to go back to texas for an hour then return for another 180 days.Something about an FMM pass which I didnt buy when i crossed into mx because there was only 1 guard on duty and he just waved us through. Dilemma. now i cant go back to tx. nor do i want to. I want to become an expat permanently. So its off the the u s embassy to see what i can do about my situation. So you and i r in the same boat. All the things I have read on line tend to suggest that u and I need to obtain an fm2 or an fm3 that stands for temporary and permenant resident. but it takes money and lots of time visiting the mexican consulate. to become a temp u need to show a $1300 a month income. or do like a lot of expats do, live here illegally. so good luck in your search. being on sites like this helps find out what the other expats have learned and have passed on the info to us.

Wow Grapenut that sounds frustrating 😕. I would imagine it would be easier if your youngest son gained dual citizenship first by using his marriage to a Mexican woman (If I'm understanding that part correctly) and then he would be able to bring you over as well. I imagine it works this way. Have you thought about getting a very small job in Texas like Wal-Mart greeter to expand your possibilities/potential? I've gone through ups and downs in my situation here and I couldn't imagine trying to do it with a limited income and not having at least a little bit of stability of a part time job that you can fall back on.

grapenut wrote:

I am retired and l could not remain in the usa because of my fixed income pension i receive from the gov. so my youngest boy who lives here in CIUDAD JUAREZ with his hispanic wife has a job, like you, across the border.he travels from juarez every day across the border to work in ELPASO. i want to become citizenized here in mexico. but am finding out it is not that simple i am allowed to remain in juarez for 180 days but according to the mx rules has to go back to texas for an hour then return for another 180 days.Something about an FMM pass which I didnt buy when i crossed into mx because there was only 1 guard on duty and he just waved us through. Dilemma. now i cant go back to tx. nor do i want to. I want to become an expat permanently. So its off the the u s embassy to see what i can do about my situation. So you and i r in the same boat. All the things I have read on line tend to suggest that u and I need to obtain an fm2 or an fm3 that stands for temporary and permenant resident. but it takes money and lots of time visiting the mexican consulate. to become a temp u need to show a $1300 a month income. or do like a lot of expats do, live here illegally. so good luck in your search. being on sites like this helps find out what the other expats have learned and have passed on the info to us.

Hi Grapenut,

They are not using the FM label any longer just visitor, temporary, and permanent. Much less confusing for all. As for the consulate, if you have your paperwork ( which is listed on their site ) you can visit the counsel and be done in a day, so it does not take a lot of time, if you have prepared. If you have the financial requirements , and proof of that it is pretty quick and if you have the funds to meet the permanente level you can get a permanente visa that day.

What is time consuming is the paperwork and visits to the  Immigration here once you are back in Mexico. you have 30 days to start that, and you need to move quickly because if that 30 days expires you have to go back to the U.S. and start again.

You will probably have fines and fees to pay in the U.S. because you passport expired. You need to fix that first, so you have a valid passport when you apply in the Mexican consulate.

Looking for information for short term furnished apartment rental in Matamoros or Reynosa.....

gregoryshults wrote:

Looking for information for short term furnished apartment rental in Matamoros or Reynosa.....

Hi Gregory,

At the top of the page you will find a housing section where you can look or post your request. :)

StuckInMoros wrote:

Married in Ciudad Valles, SLP in 2016, moved to Matamoros to be in middle of her family and mine in SATX. I'm a daily crosser, work in Brownsville, TX but live a 1/4 mile from the bridge so to say the least it has been very challenging getting used to this new life. Just had a baby and happy to say just got her papers for dual citizenship. 😊 I'm an LVN but also have a lengthy business background, trying to make the decision to chase Mexican nationality here or take the new wife to live forever in Texas which for some reason I don't think is a good idea. 😕  Wanted to see if anyone here on this board had any insider tips on making life easier...the little things.  I have been crossing for about a year and a half and only have my passport....should I look into getting a work visa? I would like to teach English but would I need a degree in order to teach in Mexico....Ive thought about just moving further in as well...allowing my wife to support us (she is also a nurse) while I get myself integrated in the system. I could keep on and on...guess I feel stuck....any insight to provide would be appreciated.

Raoul (pronounced Raul) 😉

It sounds like you may want to stay where you are. However if you are of a mind to leave then Tijuana is a growing area for expats. Currently at the border in Pueblo Amigo they are building a 25 floor medical center mainly to cater to Americans that come over to seek less expensive medical treatment.
Here in Playas where I live the Amish people flock here for medical and dental care. They come from all over the eastern us for this reason. It's actually kind of an oddity  to see them here.
I have taught English here,but I created a clientele that I taught. Also I did it in my spare time. I would not do it full time. I sometimes work here in Tijuana other times I work in San Diego.
Since everyones situation is different it will take a little experimentation on your part to see what fits best for you.

it took me 6 months to get a new pASSPORT after being stuck in juarez. now that i am here i really like it so i will remain an expat living in ciudad juarez.and friendly people; my landlord speaKS ENGLISH making life a lot easier.rent is cheap. have a 2 bedroom flat for $270 usd. i could never find such a price anywhere else in usa.I have an OASIS mini mart around the corner where i can buy lots of stuff at a real good price and the major stores are really americanized HOME DEPOT, OFFICE DEPOT, WENDYS, BURGER KING, MAC D,PETER PAN PIZZA BUFFET,JUST TO NAME A FEW.COSTCO here too.bus service sucks but i have friends to take me shopping as well as UBER AND OF COURSE, MY SON. so life is good here.