Looking for house/apartment in Grand Baie

Morning all!

I'm almost certainly coming over at the end of June and will be looking for something 2 bed in/around Grand Bay in the region of 10-12k. I've been told by a few people (including my new boss!) to avoid agents if possible, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Am I being realistic in terms of price?

2) How does one go about finding accomodation without going through an agent?

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Just to add that I was only there 2 days and fell in love with the place, already looking at helping footy coaching youth team. So excited about my new life!

Hi Strawb :)

Have you tried browsing the forum? There are a few interesting topics on the cost of living in Mauritius which could help you have an idea on accomodation costs.
As for your accommodation search you can have a look at our participative guide for some advices ;) Otherwise i'm sure other members will be able to help you!

Hope it will help
Armand

Thanks Armand,

Sorry, I realised after posting that there is an entire section on it lol

I will go look!

10-12k for an apartment is possible depending on what your expectations are.  My fiancée and I were looking for some friends/coworkers about 6 months ago who had a similar budget and we were able to find a few.  It helped that my fiancee is Mauritian and was able to get a better price than what I probably would of been able to get because I am an expat.

You will have to walk around and talk to people.  There are also people that post homes/apartments that they have to rent on notice boards at Super U in Grand Bay.  There are usually at least one or two apartments that are posted there for around your budget.

There are plenty of not so nice places, but if you look hard and long enough I am sure you will be able to find something you will be happy with.  The trouble you will have though is that as soon an owner sees you coming and realises that you are an expat the price will rise.  So I hope that you are good negotiator.

Does the apartment have to be in Grand Bay though?  A friend of mine was staying in a nice two bedroom apartment in Trou aux Biche last year that was only 8 or 9,000 rupees.  The furniture wasn't the greatest, but the furniture was new and the apartment was very spacious and had a nice view towards the ocean from the third floor balcony.  Trou aux Bich is not too far from Grand Bay either.  I can get in touch with my friend to get the owners phone number if he still has it to check to see if that apartment is available. 

Good luck!

Hello i have availability of a House at Cap Malhereux within the range of 12k. If you need further info, contact me by email: [email protected]

Thanks Bunkoma,

The plan really is to get smallest cheapest place to start with and then build from there I guess.

Considering not having a car (to start with) hence proximity to GB/Perybere as I will be working bang in the middle of GB. Mountain Bike might be an option but roads are a bit interesting at times...

Trou aux Bich would be interesting I think but I'm proably a bit premature as I won't be needing a place until mid July ish.