Homeowner's and Renter's Insurance

Do people have insurance on their property and belongings similar to US property/casualty coverage?

Some do and it is very expensive. I think most do not. Most of the construction here is block so fires are usually not an issue.  Biggest risk is probably theft and the cost of the insurance over the years will be lots more than your loss in a theft.

Many years ago after an earthquake here many of the insurance companies went bankrupt and many if not most folks who were insured got nothing.  I think that has also kept many from getting insurance.

The only time we had insurance here was on our rental condo and that was more to protect our renters.

Bob K

It's similar yet different. Most don't have it as its expensive. Everything has to be documented and getting claims paid is an exercise in frustration.

If you do w t it, make sure to only work with the big insurance companies here. If you need a broker let me know.

I was planning to rent at first and would like my contents insured. Normally in the states you pay for a specific value in coverage. Is it not like that there? Any examples of what those premiums might be?

It's based on a specific amount and deductible.  Let's see if I can get a quote for us.

Yes you  can get it but the cost and the deductibles may make it not worth getting.

Bob K