Moving to Vietnam for 6 months trial time

Hi All,

Me and my son would like to relocate in HCMC or Saigon for six months trial time. Like to know many details such as if we can survivev by teaching English to Vietnamese( We will have offi,cial certificates). We will be looking for a simple house or a flat with private bathroom and strong wifi connection. Rest could be very simple, no furniture,TV,etc..required.
I will be very pleased to get your detailed info.

Cheers
Sait

Sait Elibol wrote:

no furniture,TV,etc..required.

You don't need furniture in your apartment?   Where will you sleep, sit, keep your groceries, and eat your meals?

I assume he means it doesn't need to be rented as a furnished suite.  But not to worry, most places I've looked at are furnished anyway.  Prices vary depending where you want to live.  If live simply can get reasonable accommodation for 500 USD/month, and that should include  all furniture, cleaning and laundry service.
Hope that helps.

Ciambella wrote:
Sait Elibol wrote:

no furniture,TV,etc..required.

You don't need furniture in your apartment?   Where will you sleep, sit, keep your groceries, and eat your meals?

Yogi doesn't need chairs, tables ,fridges or beds either.
He sleeps in the woods & forages for food.   

Mr Sait....here's a good tip when looking for unfurnished places.    Usually a Meth Lab that's been “raided” are a bargain.     Just get yourself some good quality breathing masks.   😆

Sait Elibol wrote:

Hi All,

Me and my son would like to relocate in HCMC or Saigon for six months trial time. Like to know many details such as if we can survivev by teaching English to Vietnamese( We will have offi,cial certificates). We will be looking for a simple house or a flat with private bathroom and strong wifi connection. Rest could be very simple, no furniture,TV,etc..required.
I will be very pleased to get your detailed info.

This forum is better for asking detailed questions, not open-ended questions that forum volunteers could write a book about. Try searching the forum for recent threads like "moving", "teaching", "apartment". Then, come back with detailed questions!
Almost all apartments you will find are furnished.

Pro tip: there is both a HCMC and a Saigon forum because of an https://www.expat.com error. The HCMC forum has a lot more activity.

HCMC forum

A trial move is a great idea, because some people find out that they like Vietnam, and some don't. A one year trial is more sensible however for teaching contracts.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

500 USD/month is incredibly high for me. I think this is something imaginary on internet world. What I was informed from the real life is maximum at 150 bucks/month. 500 is for a luxury one. That is true if you search on net but when you put the money on the table, life becomes different. Anyway, many thanks for a serious answer.
Regards

Sait Elibol wrote:

500 USD/month is incredibly high for me. I think this is something imaginary on internet world. What I was informed from the real life is maximum at 150 bucks/month. 500 is for a luxury one. That is true if you search on net but when you put the money on the table, life becomes different. Anyway, many thanks for a serious answer.
Regards

Thank you for letting us (all the expats who pay a lot more than $150/m on the rent) know that we've been living an "imaginary life on Internet world" (we must be bots, not a "real life" people.) 

( I wonder why it is that when my spouse and I put cash on the landlord's table on the 1st of each month, life doesn't "become different" as the sage Mr. Elibol predicts, and why the $500/m -- sorry, it's actually $550 -- is not imaginary money. ) 

Luxury?  I guess living without cockroaches or rats and not having to share bathroom with strangers is luxury.  Is walking or taking the city bus everywhere and buying grocery only at the neighbourhood street market part of a luxury life?

( I also wonder which one of us, the excellent Mr. Elibol who is living in Turkey and who has never been to VN, or I, a native born, is falling through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world. )

When you find a "simple house or a flat with private bathroom and strong wifi connection" for you and your son for $150, please take a photo and share with us.  Enquiring minds want to know.

Sait Elibol wrote:

Regards

You can find a room for $200-$250 a month.
Please note, as a foreigner, you are not permitted to stay in any property of your choice.
There are certain restrictions and regulations a property owner must follow if s/he wants to lease his/her property to a foreigner.

G'day Sait,
First of all what is your budget. ?

If $500 a MONTH is “incredibly high” ,,maybe your best to stay with your job in Izmir Turkey and save a bigger “nest egg” before you look at throwing that in and coming here.     Your profile indicates your a Sales & Marketing manager so you should know a bit about how money goes around, who's got it & how they like to spend it.

Vietnam is a cheap place to live.    I've seen expat people get cheap guest house rooms for $150 a month in the provinces, but No AC and creature comforts.  Electricity & water is NOT included.

I've met several Expats that come here underfunded, purely looking at Teaching English to support a lifestyle.    Unless you get enough hours,,do you have the back up funding to carry you when the work drops off. 
  Another possible issue is your Language skills with regard to getting employment as an English teacher.     If you are Turkish , and your English comes with an accent ,,,,I'd say your stuffed.   If you sound like an Istanbul taxi driver , the local schools will pass in favour of a clearer sound. 

An Irish guy got “punted” out of a  language school for that very reason.   They simply found his “sound” difficult to understand.

So you've got a few things to consider budget wise.    Relying on teaching for an income could be a gamble.

Don't throw your job away to come here on a hunch that it may work.  Just take some vacation leave , and come for a month or so to see if the language schools will take you on.    If it doesn't look promising , at least you've got a job & a base to go back to.

Good luck with it.

Yogi007 wrote:

I've seen expat people get cheap guest house rooms for $150 a month in the provinces, but No AC and creature comforts.  Electricity & water is NOT included.

He'll also have his son with him.  He didn't mention the age so the offspring could be another mouth to feed or another wage earner -- either way, he'll need a room large enough for two beds.

Sait Elibol wrote:

Regards

Misconception: "Real life" $150 houses for rent
http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/x150.jpg

Misconception: "Real life" $500 Luxury house for rent
http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/x500.jpg

Misconception: Vietnamese landlords when "you put money on the table"
http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/xlandlords.jpg

Yes.

Lol. You will live nicely.

VN is a wonderful and cheap country.