Canadian wanting to marry a Brazilian and move to Brazil

I'm currently living in Canada and she lives in Brazil.  After reading a lot I'll have to reapply for my birth certificate (lost it again). 

I have enough money to perhaps live for a couple of years conservatively in Brazil, so once I receive my tourist visa I guess I could just move.  I am a programmer and I've heard there is an English speaking tech scene in Sao Paulo, the city I'd be moving to.

But I'm currently setup with a nice room and well paying job in Canada right now and she has indicated she has always wanted to see what it is like living here.  I can easily have her live comfortably with me for an extra $150/month, which is how much extra my landlord wanted.

She still needs to apply for her Brazilian passport and Canadian Visa.

So what is the best way to go about this?  Assuming minimising time away from each other, troublesomeness, delays from seeing each other and working etc?

I've even hinted at the fact that Colombia requires no travel visa for either of us.

Thanks,

John

Hey, John,
I would strongly suggest bringing her to Canada, marrying there, and applying for your Brazilian permanent residency visa at the nearest Brazilian Consulate.  My husband and I did it that way in the US this past Summer (we're in Brazil now), and it seems so much easier and more straightforward than getting married and changing your status here.  Your marriage is legally recognized in both countries:  you register your Canadian marriage certificate at the Consulate, and they give you a document to present to the Cartório in your fiancée's hometown, and that's it.  You can always have a second reception when you get here.

I am in agreement with the prior reply and your future bride will want to see Canada one day and it would be easier , just ensure she has all the documents needed to come to Canada and get married.it would be best to get married there for here its from one office to the other loads  of time ..... Once you have made a decision on marriage and all documents are in place it'll be easier to move to Brazil...
There are some helpful articles  on the Web , just follow the information and you should be fine.....Good Luck on your  adventures as far as Employment goes for anyone foriegn the "Prospective Employer Must Prove No Brazilian can do the Job".
Have you looked into Multi-National companies for "Employment" and how are your Portugese Language skills..
Jus a Lil insight.....PM if you like and am in the Northeast of Brazil....

As a programmer you should be able to work remotely for a bunch of tech companies. Getting paid in the dollar is a better option. Finding employment here in Brazil is difficult.

Aside from the difficulty in finding a job in Brazil, you still have to be proficient in Portuguese to flourish. Everything is expensive so try NOT to be paid in reais!

Brazil don´t pay much. It´s better in dollars from foreign companies. I´m sure you can work remotely so you can even do it anywhere, South America or even Europe.

But Canada is an excellent place to live! You should bring her over and you guys can just visit Brazil or Colombia...

robal

While it's true that jobs are currently hard to find in Brazil, that's because the country is slowly recovering from its worst recession in 100 years, much worse than the one North America experienced after the 2007 crash.  The economy will recover, and jobs with it.
Since you'll be married to a Brazilian, you'll be entitled to work in Brazil, and won't face the employment difficulties that people on tourist visas do.  If you get your VIPER before you leave Canada, you'll get your Brazilian documents quickly.  I arrived, VIPER in hand, on November 1, and had my CPF (Taxpayer ID), CIE (Foreigner ID Card), SUS (National Health) card, and Carteira de Trabalho (Labor Card), and had my bank accounts in place, by December 12.

Hey I just want to thank everyone for their replies, I showed this thread to her and she feels much better.  She said, "this is a great website lots of replies" ;)

I had a really long day so I'll read them again in more detail tomorrow but thanks a lot.

If she wants to I wouldn't mind her living here with me for a bit, it seems like it might be easier that way.

I'm moving Sao Paulo in June to marry my beloved fiance. I'm planning on staying there for a couple of years and then having her and her daughter come back with me to Canada.
We are going to go back and forth every few years...

I want to work there as a teacher. Just wondering if there is "a most important to-do list"  before I leave Canada.

* I have my passport,  my Brazilian tourist  e-visa, long birth certificate Etc

Any thoughts would be appreciated 😊

John,

I'm assuming that the "etc." includes all the requirements that the Federal Police list for permanent residency.  If that's the case, just two things come to mind.  (1.) Keep checking the requirements every couple of weeks, because the implementing regulations for the new Law of Migration are still being finalized, so there may be some tweaks.  (2.) Your criminal background check is time sensitive, and needs to still be valid when you apply, so estimate the day you'll be doing that, and make sure that your document, which I imagine will be from the RCMP, is issued before your trip but still late enough to be good for a while after you get here.  Good luck -- you're planning ahead, so everything should go smoothly for you.

Thank you for the reply! :-) is there a list of things that the police require? I will get my RCMP background check as close to the date of my flight as I can. I phoned them today and they said it is done on the spot...

Cheers!

Just sent you a private message in response to your contact request.

One thing that I did before I left the US that I'm REALLY happy with, and so are my family and friends, was to port my landline number over to Vonage.  It's a good connection (we have very good Internet), and for people in North America, it's like we never left.  Also, Brazilian institutions that screen out cell calls -- and there still are some -- read it as a foreign landline, and let the calls through.

Hi Al :-) thank you once again for your courtesy and taking the time to give me such in-depth specifics in these critical areas. I really and truly appreciate it!!

I'm going to see if it is possible to keep my mobile number... I already disconnected my landline as I wanted to do as much as possible before June.

I sent the information you gave me to my fiance, so she can prepare as much as possible...

Hope you have a wonderful evening!

John :-)