Looking for long term rental in Algarve - any help appreciated

Hello,

We're looking to move to Portugal, this year, for at least a year, maybe longer. Can anyone suggest where we can find reliable, up to date listings of long term rental properties?

We're looking for a villa, 2 + bedrooms, with a pool.  Ideally near Sagres, but happy to consider anywhere west of Albufeira. And, ideally located within 1km of the beach.

It would be great to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks.
Mark.

Hi, what you are looking for, a long-term rental 1 km from the beach might be a challenge! Owners can get a lot of money during the tourist season for such a property by renting it by the week so they don't have much of an incentive to rent it long-term for a reasonable price. You might check with real estate agents in the area you are interested in and on the numerous websites available. Best wishes to you.

Thanks,
Yes, I can see that. On reflection, if we can get a pool, being so close to the beach becomes less important.
Can you recommend any websites or other resources that we should be looking at?
Thanks.
Mark.

Do searches on google such as "long-term rentals Algarve" or other key words of interest.

indeed it'is very difficult to find something to rent on a long term basis...and i f so, prices are exagerated ....be careful also of the fee passing by  real estates agency ....exagerated too ...good luck in your searchs ....

Hi there,
Thanks for the advice.
Nigel

Hi.  From Ayrshire here.
Just completed my full time move to Portugal (Albufeira) and I am renting low season only (Jan-June) in order to assess better where to settle down full time.
I concur with other sentiments that finding a long term rental is not easy - the Portugese, just like Spanish, appear quite happy to leave property empty for 9 months of the year in order to rent out at advantageous rates in the summer.
Strange for me (I an an ex IFA and rent a couple of properties in UK and would never dream of tying up my capital and making no return on investments for 3/4 of the year) but that is the way.
The closer to the beach, the more difficult you may find it.
I was lucky to be referred to someone who took the chance to rent to me low season after searching continually for 2 weeks.
Talking to bar staff etc it appears thast rental property is in very short supply - and I wasn't prepared to live in some truly lovely beach towns as they would be far too quiet in the depth of winter - even Albufeira is very quiet this time of the year.
I suspect that if you want to rent for a year and amortise low and high seasons into a straight monthly rental then it should be possible but be prepared, perhaps, to leave a high deposit or many months in advance as I have hears stories of unscrupulous people doing this and only paying the amortised lower rents during the high season and then leaving the property without warning.
Might be easier acquiring a rental property AFTER the high season or maybe immediately rather than attempting to find one in April-September for those obvious reasons.
Happy to help further if you think I might be of any assistance.
Regards,
Alan.

slugsurmamates wrote:

Hi.  From Ayrshire here.
Just completed my full time move to Portugal (Albufeira) and I am renting low season only (Jan-June) in order to assess better where to settle down full time.
I concur with other sentiments that finding a long term rental is not easy - the Portugese, just like Spanish, appear quite happy to leave property empty for 9 months of the year in order to rent out at advantageous rates in the summer.
Strange for me (I an an ex IFA and rent a couple of properties in UK and would never dream of tying up my capital and making no return on investments for 3/4 of the year) but that is the way.
The closer to the beach, the more difficult you may find it.
I was lucky to be referred to someone who took the chance to rent to me low season after searching continually for 2 weeks.
Talking to bar staff etc it appears thast rental property is in very short supply - and I wasn't prepared to live in some truly lovely beach towns as they would be far too quiet in the depth of winter - even Albufeira is very quiet this time of the year.
I suspect that if you want to rent for a year and amortise low and high seasons into a straight monthly rental then it should be possible but be prepared, perhaps, to leave a high deposit or many months in advance as I have hears stories of unscrupulous people doing this and only paying the amortised lower rents during the high season and then leaving the property without warning.
Might be easier acquiring a rental property AFTER the high season or maybe immediately rather than attempting to find one in April-September for those obvious reasons.
Happy to help further if you think I might be of any assistance.
Regards,
Alan.

So true !
I havent been on that Part of Portugal for over 30 years ! Become over rated !
I sugest any one to take the time to explore " costa alentejana e vicentina" areas.

Hi Mark and Anja,

if you are looking for properties to rent why not start online with IDEALISTA.PT which contains all listings from real estate agencies and owners for sale/rent?  You can compare different towns and regions of Portugal. 
Of course you can have a look at major players in the market: Remax, Era, Century 21, etc.and minor players as there are agencies at every corner in the Algarve and elsewhere in Portugal.
Bear in mind that the Algarve, Lisboa and Porto are quite expensive compared to the rest of Portugal and somewhat overpriced in some districts. 
You may find a guide to real estate prices in the main towns on the site of INE - Statistics Portugal and if you would like to learn more about this market and rumors about a bubble, you may read an article from the Observador (google translator may help you) "The price of new real estate has risen 24% since 2015; the old ones are 45% more expensive. Are we in a real estate bubble? How did you get here? What to do now? Essay by Ana Isabel de Sá." Oct. 31, 2018.
https://observador.pt/especiais/a-anato … obiliaria/

As you can see, plenty of info. 
Tenha uma boa leitura.