Help with American Social Security?

I am moving to Ukraine! Renting an apartment in Kiev and I will be living with my girlfriend who is Ukrainian. I will be will be marrying her in June or July. With the help of my Ukrainian attorney I have obtained a visa and will be applying for a Temporary Residence Visa buy  working with a charity they have organized..

That is background...my question is how does anyone else continue to receive their Social Security payments, since the government of the United States does not send money to Ukraine?

I have a bank account in the USA where my SS check is deposited on a regular monthly basis but, my debit card only has a 6 month foreign transaction wavier.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Keith

If your debit card will only work 6 months outside the country, then you should change to a proper bank without such restrictions.

Thanks for your response and I will look into that.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Congratulations! Ukraine is a beautiful place and the people are great.

If you're planning on residing in Ukraine permanently, you'll have to contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw, Poland. Here's the link:

https://pl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … y/ukraine/

There's a procedure you have to follow that includes verifying your identity every six months. It's all there on the website.

Have you found a place yet?

Jim

And I'm wondering how the USA SS benefits work for a Ukraine citizen who will receive Spousal benefits after my passing and she reaches 62. She is a US Permanent Resident and has Ukraine citizenship. I am a US citizen.
I (we) plan to retire and move to Ukraine in about 7 years and collect SS.

And once I have passed-away, how will she be able to receive US Soc. Sec. Spousal benefits while living in Ukraine?

One thought I had was to have some kind of residence established in Poland and have the SS retirement/spousal benefits delivered to a Polish bank that has branches/affiliates in Ukraine. And we visit Poland as needed to keep residency.

Looking for options where she or I don't have to fly back to US constantly or spend weeks/months on US soil. We want to basically live in Ukraine full-time since she has family there.

Thank you much.

Will

Hello,

Interesting topic that I've been thinking about.  Perhaps you should just Skype call your bank every few months and extend the foreign transaction time limit.  Might be the simplest solution.

Alan