Sri Lankan Dual Citizenship - Resumption

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

I am interested in obtaining Sri Lankan Dual Citizenship. I currently hold Australian and British Citizenship (born in the UK) but had Sri Lankan birth citizenship registration (which was lost after the age of 21).

I believe that Australia and the UK allow multiple citizenships, but I am wondering whether this is okay for Sri Lanka too?

Finally, if I am to go ahead with an application under the resumption category, would it be best to apply in Sri Lanka or Australia?

Many thanks,

Ajith

Perhaps contact the Sri Lankan Embassy in Canberra.

http://www.srilankahighcommission.co.uk … ;Itemid=55

Fill the form
http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/image … cation.pdf

Collect  as many documents required as possible and make .copies of them

Go to the nearest Sri Lankan High Commission and hand in.

Wait until something happens.

It may take a month or two.

I would strongly recommend that you apply in Colombo. Canberra referred me to the SL Consulate in Melbourne. After handing in all the required documents, nothing happened for more than 6 months. When I called the consulate, they told me that I needed to call Colombo. After several weeks of trying to get through to the officer on the phone, it turned out that some of my documents were lost in transit and I had to re-submit the missing documents directly to Colombo. It also turned out that Colombo followed a different set of rules and were not willing to accept some documents in spite of them being certified by BOTH the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia and an Australian Notary Public. They still wanted to view the originals. I can go on at length with the rest of the story, but to cut the nightmare short, it took me more than a year before I finally got the certificate.

Hi ,

I  interested in doing the same. At present I hold a British & an Australian citizenship.  I would like to ideally resume my Sri Lankan.   
Wondering how feasible this is and where best to apply. 

Cheers
SDK

You will be applying for resumption of citizenship and yes you can apply with your dual passports, that is not an issue. Though you may apply from overseas at the Embassy, it is recommended you make the application at the Dept of Immigration in Colombo when you are visiting which avoids unnecessary delays and you have your application lodged right away. Good luck.

Thank you 😊

I applied for dual in Colombo it was a lot easier and cheaper than trying to apply through the Sri lankan Consulate in Sydney. The Sydney consulate wanted my Australian passport and citizenship certificate authenticated by the Australian immigration- and they wanted to charge me >/$30 for very page they were going to authenticate,, no such fuss in Colombo ,,applied in Jan 2nd 2018 ,, got email last week saying citizenship approved and requesting me to pay the money. I have arranged some one to pay it in Colombo.

Hi,

What docs did you need to provide?   We want to resume citizenship for our kids - will they need to be physically present in SL?

Also what's the cost on resumption?

SS

Is it a certificate/sticker on your non-Sri Lankan passport?

About the citizenship document... is it a document, certificate or sticker/stamp on our non-SriLankan passport ?

@udeshka23

Actual passport & you can have National identity card .

@SRIDHASS THEVA  thank you

@udeshka23 Both. There  is a physical document and a chop on your non-Sri Lankan passport.

Ok, thank you   

so how does it work ?

so when ever i am arriving and departing Sri Lanka i have to present both passports or just the Sri Lankan one ?

@udeshka23 Either the foreign passport with the chop or a Sri Lankan passport.