Golf Carts

Holy cannoli... It is all over Facebook that golf carts are being confiscated. Taxes, registration, other reasons...

I am actually shocked by the idea that people drive golf carts in Sosua/ Puerto Plata. Where do they go? It sounds like instant death to me. Is it just inside big gated communities? One post mentioned one being confiscated at The Checkpoint. Really, I have no words. How could a golf cart even navigate?

First that I've heard of that. Will check it out. Golf carts eren't used to travel long distances like between towns. Used for local running around in Sosua. They must have lights,brake lights, turn signals etc. I believe insurance is also required, if not it should be.  If true id could be another short time phase to collect holiday money, who knows?

First I have heard of this. Checkpoint is on a public road so if golf cart isn't legal than it should be off the road! Same as every motorcycle and public transport vehicle that isn't legal..... But that will never happen.

I will not miss them.  Dodging the damn motos is full time job when driving.  The golf carts just add another danger to the mix.  There is a reason they are called golf carts....they belong on golf courses not the roads and highways.

Bob K

every street in sosua is a public road. only within resorts or gated compounds are not public roads. yes,ALL vehicles & their drivers should be legal!   more than a third aren't!  Same with electricity, only 2/3rds pay, the rest steal their power. May all of you have a better year than the last one.

Bob, I disagree with you. They are large & pretty slow. Few will reach 20 miles per hour. Very seldom on the highway outside the city limits & are economical to operate. Motos are small, very fast & usually driven by youngsters with what appears to be a death wish. Golf carts are an important part of some large towns in Florida, The Villages in central Florida. A complete town of more than 50,000 people where golf carts are the norm rather than the exception. Just up the road from Orange City is a quaint college town. Stetson University has more than 20,000 students & faculty. Golf carts abound. They are allowed within the city limits. The highway section in Sosua is a little more than a mile long. Carts usually stay in the sides until downtown.  Most prefer the side main & back streets to get around. It would be interesting to see statistical percentages of car & moto accidents VS the golf carts. Of course you can always soup up your cart to attain the horrific speed of 30 miles per hour.... the legal speed limit on the highway section.  It is 20mph in the rest of the town.

OH yes, and they are Quiet!

According to The Facebook, lolol, the Jolly Roger's golf cart was confiscated.

This is certainly not The Villages (pop now over 100,000).  Here they are dangerous to others on the road.  Keep them on the golf courses and inside gated private communities.

Bob K

The fact they are slower also makes them dangerous as cars try to get around them. Just another issue on the roads here!

Golfcarts, the best thing going, in so many towns, 8n so màny ways. No licence , no in surance, and the cops just ignore them.   They're safer for you too because the idiot local Moto drivers, like the little kids who driver those things with no license or insurance, don't like to hit the golf carts.  They're also safer from the thieves that try to grab you bags from you on a Moto.

not to mention completely  illegal on the roads. But hey,  just a detail right colonel!

I support insurance, registration running lights etc. I believe that golf carts are a good option for local travel & They Are Quiet.  If someone passes them they are exceeding the speed limits & are crappy drivers who should pay for their stupidity.

[Post under review]

[Post under review]

Tinker passing a 20 mile an hour golf cart - doesn't make you a speeder.

If they were safe on public roads I am sure many countries / states / provinces would make them legal.

But they are not! They are not legal here and as expats you set yourselves up for a shake down. So, be ready if you insist on breaking the law.

I can't drive any more because of severe loss of vision. What about scooters? Short wheelbase, small wheels, inability to make sharp evasive moves & they are fast. Involved in many accidents.

Correct they are involved in many accidents. Non car and truck vehicles of all kinds account for 85 per cent of traffic deaths here!

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : inappropriate message

What did Ralph Nadar once say:  "unsafe at any speed".
Bob K

The other 15% aren't golf carts.  Unsafe at any speed are idiot, incompetent, drunken, don't give a shit drivers of any type vehicles.

Maybe someday there will be an elevated, pedestrian walk over from Sosua water side to the Playero area. There have been traffic police at the corner the last couple times.

It is funny. Last time we were there, my first walk to grocery I was like holy crap, I am gonna die. How did I forget this??? By the last day, I was ready to kick scooters outta my way, thinking you wanna play chicken with me, really? Bring it on. Lololol

We saw a dead body in Santiago last time we were there. Motorcycle accident. My husband's prima is a doctor in Santiago. She says her clinic sees at least 6 fatalities a week from motorcycle accidents.

Last couple of trips we have seen groups of bike riders. We both ride here. My husband wants to ride there. I am certain that is a horrible idea.

One of his tias told us they call the new highway  the highway of roses. If you have an accident, they throw roses over the side cause chances are you won't be coming back up.