Do I need a degree to do teaching English?

Hi everyone

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be really welcome.

I'm matt from Sydney Australia, my partner and I are very much considering taking the plunge and moving to Hanoi next year. I completed my TEFL course at SEETEFL in Chiang Mai last year but had to return to Sydney due to family reasons just after completion. Now that all that's sorted my partner and I are planning on returning to Asia and hoping to settle for a while in Hanoi. I'm going to be looking and applying for English teaching positions, i have been looking at job websites and I'm seeing that teachers are required to have a university degree plus a TEFL/ESL  qualification. I have been a hairstylist for the past 15 years so don't have a university degree as such but I do have a number of masters certificates in hairdressing (not that I think they'll be useable for a teaching job lol)

Do any of you guys have experience or advice to give weather all teaching positions require you to have a degree or will some allow just a TEFL/ESL certificate?

You technically do need a degree but many people teach English without one.  This may seem unkind but you should first master spelling and grammar in the language.

Mattrogan wrote:

Do I need a degree to do teaching English?

Mattrogan wrote:

Do any of you guys have experience or advice to give weather all teaching positions require you to have a degree or will some allow just a TEFL/ESL certificate?

This's gonna depend on who you're gonna teach. Some places will require TESOL like highschool, primary school. Some places not require any degrees, especially basic communication english center.

Good Luck!

quanghnflt wrote:

This's gonna depend on who you're gonna teach. Some places will require TESOL like highschool, primary school. Some places not require any degrees, especially basic communication english center.

Good Luck!

just a reminder that advice to teach without a degree is advice to do something illegal.  Just because you can travel 5 km/hr over the speed limit does not make it legal.

Oh. Well, pleasant knowing you all, if only briefly. I had hoped to tefl but I have no degree.
I have found information on the internet regarding this to be ambiguous and out of date.

Agreed. But there are places that don't require degrees. It's more like tutoring which doesn't require any degrees (this happens in very small center as long as the students agree)

Thanks quanghnflt

Would you know the names of any of the smaller centers in or around Hanoi.

Appreciate the help

hi, you still could get job as a teacher here , but, you know, if you have degree, your income will be best
btw, if you know the native language,  it would be more convenience for your daily life