Appliances ...

Hello,

I have a question about appliance large and small.

I would most likely send a container with items like a kitchen aid stand mixer to a dryer (for the washer and dryer combo)

These items coming from the USA are not set up for the voltage (220v ?) in Tunis and elsewhere. Are there ways for these items to be efficiently converted.

I guess we could buy these things there, but a dryer? I am not sure, I know most people hang the clothes out but I thought it would be nice for those rainy times...plus I have four kids who create loads of laundry!

Sorry for such a random question but any tips are appreciated!

Thanks anna

Many/most US products are 110v only, meaning they'll burn out the moment you plug them in to 240v.

You can get around this with transformers but they're big, heavy and even the biggest won't run your dryer.

Anna as for the dryer you will need a 220/240v to 110/120V transformer appropriate for the WATTs consumed/drawn by the dryer. Remember the transformer will also consume some electricity too. Look on Amazon for the price (5000W = $160). Look on the rear of the dryer for the amps or watts then add about 1000W for the startup surge. It will be a big transformer but maybe you can use it for other stuff too.

"For safety reasons, it's recommended to use a Voltage Converter/Transformer that's max watts is at least 50% higher than your appliance. For example; 5,000 transformer can be only be used with an appliance that uses up to 3,300 Watts that is to prevent damage from the transformer itself and the appliance being used."

Thank you, very helpful

The transformers look like this. The things are yellow as they were designed for building sites and the like.
The small stuff in shops are a waste of time with even a small item like a blender so you'll need something big, and that means ugly.
My advice is always the same - leave it all behind and buy new.

Now to import duties, transport costs, damage in transit, theft .......

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/PL2-24.jpg