Sat phone

Any advice on the best one to invest in that work the best for the island

Not aware of any members that use SatPhone expense is high. Lets see what the members say in a few days.

I heard the cell service was spotty from a friend that had gon thought it would be good as a back up what cell service do you use

Before Maria, ATT cell was good over the entire island.  Since then recovery is slow but improving.  My friends had new direct tv and internet post storm.  Seems ok.

I will stick with ATT till we return, don't know what will be available then.

I have a couple of at@t phones here I used to carry on at@t one Verizon and a sprint phone everywhere I went the providers gave me one I have a few extra phone here if any one wants any they are the iPhone 5s sprint or at@t

Service is still spotty but it should normalice in the next 3-6 months. If you have the money for a satphone and the monthly payments, that is great but you are not likely to need it often.

Thanks might just borrow one for the trip and get at@t service

I don't think you'd need a sat phone unless you are planning to stay somewhere in a remote part in the middle of the island. Cell service has been restored to at least 90% of normal with AT&T almost up to 100% of the pre-hurricane coverage level.
I'd suggest to take your phone(s). I'd be surprised to hear you will have connectivity problems.

Thanks