We are looking at moving there and buying a house

Hello I have read some of your posts and found them to be very helpful thanks we are looking at moving there and buying a house I would love to chat to get some more information we are retiring I am 54 years old but I am ready to enjoy life

Hello we are looking to move to Puerto reico this year we are only English speaking retirees at 54 so still young enough to enjoy life moving from Indiana it is 3 degrees here right now expected to be 10 below with wind chill so bring it on looking for any and all advice looking to pick up a house with some work to be done on it any one heeeeeelp please

My husband and I bought a fixer-upper in June and lost it in Maria at the end of September. We're retirees in our 60s. We're back in Florida until electricity is restored to our neighborhood. We love PR and especially the people. We have the best neighbors in the world! I think it would be best to wait on your move for at least 6 months, unless you have a skill that would be helpful in the recovery and would be willing to volunteer.

Billclin wrote:

Hello we are looking to move to Puerto reico this year we are only English speaking retirees at 54 so still young enough to enjoy life moving from Indiana it is 3 degrees here right now expected to be 10 below with wind chill so bring it on looking for any and all advice looking to pick up a house with some work to be done on it any one heeeeeelp please

Always warm in Puerto Rico unless you more to the high mountain areas in the center of the island and in that case you may see a low of 55 during winter.

With and without Maria there is a glut of properties, you need not be in a rush, as to people leaving, they will be doing that over the next 2 years. Don't rush, rent for a year, study the towns and neighborhoods then decide where you want to buy. Price is always negotiable. Slow down, slow and easy.

When I was looking for a home last year I call several realtor but then some of them don't answer and some have their own priorities and some of them only want you to buy expensive house for commission.Luckily my search ended when my friend refer me to Migdalia Hernandez she help me all the way now I got our retirement home.Thanks to her.

I moved to Cabo Rojo last year. So far so good. Except for the hurricane, i can't complain. We installed a new inverter with solar panels, so we are ready for the upcoming hurricane season. We bought our house from www.hudhomestore cash. We live kind of in the country but with neighbors. Several beaches close by and there are always activities on the island.

Andreabailey21 wrote:

I moved to Cabo Rojo last year. So far so good. Except for the hurricane, i can't complain. We installed a new inverter with solar panels, so we are ready for the upcoming hurricane season. We bought our house from www.hudhomestore cash. We live kind of in the country but with neighbors. Several beaches close by and there are always activities on the island.

How does that work? You enter a bid for the property and they tell you if you won the bid? After that what what happens?

Andreabailey21 wrote:

I moved to Cabo Rojo last year. So far so good. Except for the hurricane, i can't complain. We installed a new inverter with solar panels, so we are ready for the upcoming hurricane season. We bought our house from www.hudhomestore.com cash. We live kind of in the country but with neighbors. Several beaches close by and there are always activities on the island.

Would you mind sharing your experience buying this way? Basically, wondering specifically about the bidding process.

Hud homes are all over the US... just check out the website. You find one you like. Make an offer. It took 48 hrs to know if your offer is accepted. Send your earnest money and close. We just called the listing when we saw the house online. We paid cash, but most use a mortgage company or bank. It was pretty simple. We are happy with our decision. Our realtor was Ruby Realty in Cabo Rojo... Ricardo Gonzalez.

Correct, HUD homes are all over the US.  I never knew of anyone buying through this process. So thanks for sharing your personal experience.