Questions about moving to Spain

1. How to get an NIE number when not resident in Spain. We will need it to buy a house to move into.

2. Can anyone recommend good estate agents and lawyers in and around Alicante. We are particularly interested in finding an old finca or country house.

3. What is the second-hand market like in Spain. Do they have shops or places you can buy old furniture cheaply rather than having to bring it all with us.

Guess that is all at the moment but if I think of anything then I will let you know.

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Welcome to the Forum :)

A list of Lawyers can be found HERE.

The NIE Number has been brought up a number of times, scroll down the page or use the search feature.

There are many second hand stores in Alicante. You can buy used furniture as well as appliances at them, In my opinion the better ones are outside the city center, in el pla, Carolinas, etc. You don't need a lawyer to buy property. Generally a Notary performs that function. I can't recommend a real estate agent based on experience, but there is one, technocasa, that is near our home and has been in business quite a few years. There are a number of online sites where you cam view homes and prices. Search with inmobiliaria alicante.

If you are looking at buying an old finca or country house(or any other for that matter) then I would strongly suggest you do use a lawyer. Notaries absolutely do not do the required conveyancing and given that pretty much every rural property in the Alicante area will be illegal or severely limited to what you can actually do on the property a independent lawyer is a must to stand any chance of fixing the arising issues. Absolutely don't use an agent or anyone recommended by an agent or someone who can not offer indemnity insurance.

There is a good list of English speaking lawyers on the UK consulates website.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … of-lawyers

Also don't rely on the agents, they are only a tool for you to use, no more. Go on sites like idealista or foto casa and choose the properties you wish to see first. Don't get dragged around seeing properties you are not interested in because it is a waste of time.
Do some research first, understand the difference between rustic land and urban land and what that means. Locate the properties catastro on a site like goolzoom fist before you even visit a property.

Personally I find second hand stuff here to be expensive but sites like wallapop and milanuncios can give you an idea of the going rates for second hand. Many properties may come furnished already too.

Thank you for all your replies. We have been doing a lot of back round looking on sites like kyero and reading of books. Until I get a firm job offer though I guess we cant move forward on any particular website.

I remembered that an NIE is for life so I will have to try and find my old id card from 2004 lol.

AndrewPowellYoung wrote:

I remembered that an NIE is for life so I will have to try and find my old id card from 2004 lol.

Be aware that if you move to Spain,  as opposed to visiting,  assuming you are an EU citizen, you will be required to register on the EU Citizens Register, effectively immediately.   

The 90 day and 183 days rules do not apply if one moves to Spain.

If I remember rightly the school I would be working for would enable me to get my NIE number and Identification Card. I certainly remember waiting at the police station for a while.

Andrew as you say the NIE is for life but you mention having a card. 

The NIE certificate is and always has been a white A4 piece of paper.

The 'card¡ you refer to,  might be the Residencia which was renewable, I believe every 5 years. The renewal date was shown on the card. The residencia was replaced from April 2007,  for EU nationals, with the EU Citizens Registration.

Thank you John, it was 2002 when I went there so thank you for keeping me up to date with the new regulations.

Hey guys,
Hope all is well and your having a great start to 2018!

Ok, so lost most of my family and have ended up alone in life, but want to follow my dreams and live in Galicia. I have had a 2 year journey living on and off there and want to live the rest of my life there and hopefully build business and a family!

Couple of years ahead and been up and down some cliffs and mountains!, I still feel at stage 1 ! But now with a great deal of Castellano and a little Gallician under my belt. (I don't mean little people! I mean language! I feel slightly more like I'am on my way!

So the plan is to teach English, because after research it's apparently the best us Brits can do as work alli over there.

Can anybody please advise me where best to start :
Do I 1. Get a job first... or
        2. Open a bank account .... or
        3. Fill out my form extrenjero and take it to the policia nacional??
When I enquired about renting a flat, I was asked for my datos? What does this include?
In other words how do I rent a home.

This is a long shot but I'm hoping a kind person out there might help with 1 or any of the above, to help me on my way! Thank you for reading am most appreciative. Beginner level! Thank you all. Enjoy your journeys too.

HEy Jay
It is never a long shot; the world is full of kind people.
I don't know the 'legalities' but can relay my process.
I am from the USA. 
1. Should you find work first?  That depends on your financial situation.  If you son't have a work permit for Spain, then I assume you are talking about teaching online.  There are many, many companies; I happen to teach for VIPKID.
2. I opened a bank account a few months before moving here just because it made for easier access to my funds.  The fact that I had it, made rental negotiations a bit easier.
3. I rented a flat and signed a lease with just my passport and bank account info. ... did not have a NIE at the time. 
4. I applied for a nonlucrative visa 6 months after moving to Madrid....because I was about to go illegal.  I am now preparing for the renewal of that visa. 

Good luck

Try googling your questions...loads of info out there.

Baldchick. 

The rules governing EU citizens and Non EU Citizens vary quite considerably, so your experience will be significantly different from that of an EU Citizen.

For example:  Work permits and visas do not apply.

Thank you for your help baldchick. Kind of you to take a moment. We are still within the EU. Which is partly why I want to get on and find a way, before we do Brexit. I'am so strongly against Brexit, to the point where I do not want to be British anymore!!

This is very helpful. Because yours is the first bit of support/help I have ever received. I have lived in and amongst Spanish citizens and had a girlfriend over there. Even with lots of friends and a partner none of them could suggest what you have. So I see your advice as very helpful. I will, next check to see if I can open an account like you did and perhaps not worry so much about paperwork and formalities, if all you needed was a passport and bank details.
Thanks again
Jay

You do need an NIE to operate a bank account in Spain, 

Some banks will let you open an account without one,  but you will need to obtain one, as I say to operate it.

Whenever one opens an account legal ID is required. For Brits that is an Original UK passport as that is the only legal ID Brits have.  (That is of course in addition to an NIE).

If one is non resident then a non resident's certificate is required,  which needs to be renewed every two years,  Most banks, for a fee, will do that for you.

Thank you johncar, I really appreciate anyone who takes out time to reply/help.

So - I do need the NIE number...

This makes it very complicated. So I have downloaded and printed the EX form I think it's 18. But I understand you need to take it into the national police station, in the area you want to live. This makes 'being flexible' on the town.. a no go?

So.. really the suggestion is... a lengthy stay in a hotel, as we all know the Spanish never do things immediately, it's always mañana?! This is what I wanted to avoid, as I'am not rich!
I'm guessing, finding a job first was the best route. Feeling back at stage 1 again!

Guys, I'm now wondering if I should get myself over to Galicia and secure a NIE number and then return to London to do job searches and so fourth.

Does anyone know about the whole procedure of obtaining an NIE number?

From what I understand I have done as much as I can possibly do for the moment, which is print the form
1 Print form EX18
2 Fill out form
3 Have 4 passport photos
4 show passport
5  Show birth certificate

I believe you need a reason for applying for the tax number and a company to back you?
Can anyone help with whatever extras I need. I have googled and done extensive research - I come to expat.com as I feel I'am not moving ahead.

Jay.   

It appears you are intending to move to Spain, in which case my post at No 6  applies

If that is not so, then if you make it clear what you are intending to do then I will try to assist you.

John

No I do not have an NIE Number.

Jay,  Sorry as you tacked your question onto an existing thread I misunderstood.  It was the OP who already has an NIE, I amend my incorrect post.

But  as I said,

It appears you are intending to move to Spain, in which case my post at No 6  applies

If that is not so, then if you make it clear what you are intending to do then I will try to assist you.

Yes I would really appreciate your assistance John (post No 6 does not apply to me)

Sorry but,    "If that is not so, then if you make it clear what you are intending to do then I will try to assist you.

From reading your posts i thought you were implying that intend to move to Spain

Dear John! (that sounds like a film or book!)

So Hi i'm Jay and it's lovely to speak to you. I have just had a wee look at your profile and I see you are retired, but working for the national police.

For me this is really interesting and I could very much do with a little advice, if you do not mind. In my position at the moment - what I most need is support most relevant to procedures of the national police. You may be the best person I could get any advice from.

I have spent months and years trying to get over this hurdle and have done 2 different jobs in Spain - one in Barcelona and one in Galicia, but always returning after a month. Because of this difficulty with paperwork and the lack of spoken Spanish. (which is more like lack of accent and pronunciation now).

Thank you
Jay

Johncar,

To be clear.
1. I live in London atm
2. I do not have an NIE number
3. I want to move to Spain (I have not succeeded yet in doing so)
4. I need advice on how to move ahead

cheers Jay

Jay from your posts and your profile (you say, Planning to live in Spain, comes from England)  it appears you are intending to live in Spain.

That being so you have the Right to do so
When you come to Spain,  you will need to register on the EU Citizens Register.

(You get an NIE when the Registration Cert is issued, so no separate application)

To register you need to present an EX 18 and a copy, your original Passport and a copy and the receipt to prove you have paid the fee,  10.60 euros, at any bank (in Spain)  The payment form 790, is here;. and must be completed on line and printed;

http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellit … formulario

You need to have full medical cover and at least 366 euros p.m. income or savings. 
OR
If you have a job or an offer of a job then you will have medical cover and income from the employment.

The EX 18 is here.
http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/Mod … itaria.pdf

Thanks John

1. Please can you write that in Spanish - The EU citizens register??

2. Proof of the payment of 11 euros - that sounds confusing.. So I apply for the EU citizens register - then go to the bank - then return to the Police station with that proof? Is that right?

3. I have the form and all the documents I thought I would need.

4. So I cant just go over there, get on the register then return to look for jobs? I really do need a job first?

Another question has arisen - one that I'm not proud to ask.

This is a little personal, but I understand that these forums help others and perhaps I'am not the only person in this circumstance.

I have never hurt a sole and do nothing wrong in life but...! I do have a conviction for smoking a joint and being caught, another for a road incident, which I actually did nothing wrong, was bullied and told by the police it is better to plead guilty. So there are 2 minor offences on my police record - as you work for the police. Do you think this will become a difficulty or complication for me?

Please can you write that in Spanish - The EU citizens register??

No need the Extranjería of the National Police administer such applications all the time and even on line the Spanish Gov site is in English

Proof of the payment of 11 euros - that sounds confusing.. So I apply for the EU citizens register - then go to the bank - then return to the Police station with that proof? Is that right?

I explained it is the modelo 790, you download it and then pay at any bank and take the receipt with you to the police,   see what I said.

.    I have the form and all the documents I thought I would need.

I have shown all  you need to support the application.

So I cant just go over there, get on the register then return to look for jobs? I really do need a job first?

Either a job, a job offer or proof of medical cover and income.  But you can come to Spain and stay for up to 3 months,  without anything  so can look for a job.

Thank you John

We have to all admit these procedures are not simple and it does need us all to be very clear.

I now understand everything - although very complicated - life is full of 'ups and downs' and to fulfil our dreams and aspirations... these things once done will be seen as minor formalities.

Sorry Jay but it really is not complicated.  But then when I did it 30 years ago we did not have internet so in comparison, one might might say that was difficult

An application form and a copy, a proof of payment, a passport and a copy, either medical cover and income or a job offer.  I think that is simple