Finding a school for my son in Salvador

I am now visiting Bahia and I am loving it so far. I still plan on moving to Bahia with my son in a year and half and even have things lined up for what I will do. One problem though. I will be working as an ESL teacher in Barra, Salvador part time and was looking for international schools or good schools for my son. He will be 11 when we move down here. I was looking at schools and Pan American School of Bahia is 30 minutes away by car. I was hoping to stay within Barra or find a good school for him within 15 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions besides home schooling him? I've even thought of an online option.

I send 2 children to a private school and they travel around 35 minutes by a school bus within the city. I worry sometimes due to high vehicular accident in Brazil but I have no choice. Public schools are really bad, home schooling is not a practice and on-line, I don´t know if that´s practical due to boredom or even a short attention span!

Would on-line, be transferable to US credits if you decide to go back home?

There are private enterprises that transport school children and even university
students to and from school.

Why don´t you live a walking distance to the Pan American School of Bahia so your son can walk to and from school, while you take the "lotação" or private mini-bus transport to Barra, Salvador. This is common practice here. It´s like a carpooling but you guys have a private driver to pick you up to and from work. You pay a monthly fee. It´s not expensive and very practical. Just contact one enterprise and you can find them in classified ads. I´m sure your fiancee´knows something about it.

The only question is if your son is confident enough and be trusted with the discipline to go straight to and from school to your place of residence.

robal

Robal you are heaven sent!!! This is the type of answer I was looking for!!! You are right my son does have a short attention spans and I would rather send him to school than try to online school him anyway. I definitely want him to go to a great school. Private school I can afford but I couldn't wrap my head around how to make this happen. I don't want to send him to public school here. He does know some Portuguese but we study here during their fall but it would help him better to be on a private school.

I was thinking of a few possibilities and you bit them all on the nail. Either we live near the International school and I travel to Barra, Salvador when I am working or the other way around we live near Barra and travel to the school everyday. Barra is what I know so I was wondering if it was possible to hire a driver for us or ride some type of carpool.

The possibility of living close to the school is a strong possibility I prefer sit that I am nearby on days that I am not working. This gives me an incentive to look at a different city now and get to know more parts of Salvador.

Your post definitely gives me a good start. As for my boyfriend our relationship is on the rocks and we slowed things down. I need to get to know him a lot more before we jump into decisions like marriage and a serious relationship. He is very affectionate and sweet but very young in mind. He doesn't take it serious to share the work or responsibility of being in a relationship or working to reach any goals.

I digress. Thank you so much for your post!🤚🏽🤙🏾 I will look into the school while I am here and everything you posted.

Tiffany

Tiffany,

Already on the rocks? Put a good Jack Daniels in and invite me for a drink!

robal

Yep, I am waiting to give it some time but that is what is going to show time. He reminds me of high school love, he likes the title of things but not the work to do it. I agreed to buy paint for him so that he could get his passport and he would work towards his visa. It was fair. He started asking me for money often until I saw a pattern and the amount getting bigger and he finally wanted me to pay for his Visa, his documents, and the vacation of being here. I drew the line before that.

We argued about things that we want in life cost money and he told me he didn't want to work only paint. I lost my marbles on him with that. He was so driven when I first met him and goal oriented, then he started being lazy. He would set a goal for something say he would work for it then butter me to ask me for the money after two times I stopped sending money to him. When we argued about this and I told him the whole spill of you have to work for what you need and share the responsibility in a relationship, he was more worried about me being mad than what I was saying. Or he would ignore what i said and go into his “But I love you” and you are my flower and don't me mad at me”

He hasn't had a woman in his life challenge him to actually live it with responsibility according to him so we agreed to slow it down to learn each other more before making any plans. He finally got a job and I have seen him since we have been here and his attitude is still full of dreams with no effort behind how to do it. I asked him about his visa and he said he was putting it on hold because that is too hard right now but he knows he has to work.

It has nothing to do with him being a Brazilian that I met him, I knew Brazilians before I came here. It was his ambition, talent, drive, and chivalry that caught my attention. He is very frivolous and I'm not sure if this is what I want in a relationship.

He must be very young to have an attitude like that. Remember also that dreams are harder to achieve in Brazil and that´s why the laid back attitude and the endless asking for easy money. 

Just observe if he´s putting efforts to turn into a new leaf. Always be aware that a lot of Brazilians take advantage of opportunities and exploits your weakness as they know
you´re away from home.

My American friends here including me are always asked for more money by Brazilian women. They assume that being a girlfriend entitles them to monetary compensation to improve their well-being. I guess Brazilian men would be the same!

robal

You are right Robal, this is what I was watching for and this is why I dried up the well immediately to see where his head is. I observed some of this happen the first time I was here and from talking to other females before I came. It threw a red flag to me when I saw the habits change the first two times he did it.

I am watching for seeing if he has any efforts towards doing anything different or if this is a rouse because he thinks he can just do it long enough to let my guard down. I was weary of this when I met him, not necessarily looking for something automatically but guarding myself. As soon as I saw it, I shut it down.

He is 29 and I am 35. We shall see! Thanks Robal!

Good luck!

robal