Shipping Single Pallets to Costa Rica

I couldn't remember or find where we were talking about this so I shall start anew...

Talking with Michael with shippingcr.com yesterday about shipping some things I need and he said that they ARE shipping single pallets again.  Cost depends on what you're shipping, etc.  As always, used items are cheaper to ship.  Or make them look used anyway.

With the new project I need to furnish a house and two cabinas and just the shipping of three sets of used washer/dryers pays for itself compared to CR prices on the same items.  Plus it's hard to find good, used front load washer/dryers here for a good price, well, impossible.  They are exactly 1/2 the price in Florida.

- Expat Dave

Dave, was there a question or is this just a news item for those interested.
I'd be possibly interested in sharing a pallet depending on prices of the shipping and how big a pallet is and other details if someone were interested in sharing one.
How big is a pallet Dave? And do you have to drive to Golfito and sign papers and other bureaucratic stuff to get it?

samramon wrote:

Dave, was there a question or is this just a news item for those interested.
I'd be possibly interested in sharing a pallet depending on prices of the shipping and how big a pallet is and other details if someone were interested in sharing one.
How big is a pallet Dave? And do you have to drive to Golfito and sign papers and other bureaucratic stuff to get it?

It was for informational purposes.

It's a standard pallet that can be stacked 7' high.  You can get a lot on a single pallet.  You ship whatever you want to either LA or Miami and they consolidate the items for you on the pallet.  The price is given to you up front once you tell them what it is you're shipping.  It's a flat rate at that point with no additional costs.  I've shipped with them many times in the past and they never once charged me more than the original quoted price.

The pick up location is in Escazu I believe, you'd have to confirm that with them.  It's picked up at their place of business.  It will have already cleared customs and there is nothing to sign - just pay the shipping fee and load it up.  Check with them, they used to also arrange shipping it to your home for an additional fee.  I found that part to be too expensive and just picked up the items myself.

Michael is the contact person.  His number is 7241 8772 - shippingcr.com

- Expat Dave

are you considering the tax implications also. or better question is what are the tax implications on used apliances and furniture.

rocketman58 wrote:

are you considering the tax implications also. or better question is what are the tax implications on used apliances and furniture.

When you obtain the quote on the pallet, it includes all import taxes, shipping, etc.  The quote is the total price you pay.  On used appliances and furniture you simply have a receipt showing that you paid $50 for a couch, $35 for a frig., etc.  That is what you will pay the tax on.  A full pallet would run "approximately" $600-$800 in shipping and taxes.  It all depends on what you ship.

In the near future I plan to ship a few pallets or a 20' container.  I need to furnish a house and two cabinas.  Plus there are a few tools that I need.  As an example, I need a new sliding miter saw.  I will buy it new, use it once while I'm there and then ship it.  It's used and less tax.  It is all done above-board and legally.  The miter saw that I want would cost double here what it costs in the States.  That one item alone pays for 1/2 of a pallet.

Used, double-door refrigerators here that are in good condition will sell for between $800-$1,500.   In the States, in Florida, they list for $500 and will usually take less.  I need three refrigerators.  Again, it pays for itself.

There's an old worn out frig on Craigslist CR right now and they are asking $500.  In the States the thing would list for $50. 

Personally, it's worth it to me to go to Florida, buy a bunch of stuff, load a small container and ship it here.  Plus it's kind of fun.   :proud

- Expat Dave

Thanks. I will need to find a company in canada that does this. I would ship all the furnashings from my house. Here in Edmonton Alberta.

rocketman58 wrote:

Thanks. I will need to find a company in canada that does this. I would ship all the furnashings from my house. Here in Edmonton Alberta.

Rocketman,

They do ship people from Canada.  BUT, no matter who you use it would be quite expensive.  You would load the container at your home and they then transport the container by truck to either Florida or LA.  From there by ship.  Unless it's things you can't live without, family heirlooms(?), I'm not sure it would be worth it.  Check with them for an estimate.  Shippingcr.com.

Same thing would apply if you ship only pallets.  Trucked to Florida or Los Angeles....

- Expat Dave

We shipped from Blackfalds, Alberta and used Barry Wilson and Arden Brink http://shipcostarica.com/  Our container was trucked to Calgary then put on a train to Vancouver.  In Vancouver it was then put on a ship.  Good experience !!!

hi thank you for the response. this is the beauty of networking. If you don't mind. Was it a container you shipped (how Big) did you buy the container. did you ship house hold goods and what was the cost.

We were going to ship a 20 foot container and then changed our minds and brought a Yamaha Rhino in the larger 40' container.  We started buying and storing most things brand new 3 years before we moved.  Everything was bought 50% off or better, removed from the original packaging and declared as used (we had all receipts to prove everything was over six months old).  We literally brought everything other than a bedroom suite which we purchased from Sarchi.  We built a house here so we made sure to send specifications for all appliances so that they were guaranteed to fit.  The approximate cost of the container WITHOUT the Rhino was $15,000 USD (a 20' would have been a couple thousand less).  We had to pack the container in Blackfalds but everything was hand delivered to each room that we wanted it in here.  The price they quote is guaranteed.  Not one box was opened or damaged.  If you like I could share my original packing list as a guide.

I'll

TerrynViv wrote:

We were going to ship a 20 foot container and then changed our minds and brought a Yamaha Rhino in the larger 40' container.  We started buying and storing most things brand new 3 years before we moved.  Everything was bought 50% off or better, removed from the original packaging and declared as used (we had all receipts to prove everything was over six months old).  We literally brought everything other than a bedroom suite which we purchased from Sarchi.  We built a house here so we made sure to send specifications for all appliances so that they were guaranteed to fit.  The approximate cost of the container WITHOUT the Rhino was $15,000 USD (a 20' would have been a couple thousand less).  We had to pack the container in Blackfalds but everything was hand delivered to each room that we wanted it in here.  The price they quote is guaranteed.  Not one box was opened or damaged.  If you like I could share my original packing list as a guide.

Did you actually purchase the container so you could use it as a workshop or garage (or resell it) or did you rent it?  We had a 20' container we took to Bonaire that became my workshop by the ocean.  Worked out really well.

I thought I had read that you couldn't buy the container and ship your goods in it, to Costa Rica...

Ours was a rental.

We rented ours too, but thought I had read that you couldn't ship your own goods, that had something to do with packing, transporting it (as this is where the money is made for the companies) unpacking for customs ... :joking:...plus you will have to pay duty, etc. on the  actual container.

I think it may be easier/cheaper in the long run, purchasing a container here.

This is awsome. do you have the cost break down ie shipping taxes on goods and the Rhino container costs. the list you speak of would be great. We are building in Playa Lagarto should be complete by summer.

Rocketman;
Barry and Arden give you a firm price on what you give them as a manifest.  They ball parked our 40 foot container at $15,000 USD just for our household goods.  The Rhino cost close to an additional  $6000 to clear customs.  Send me a PM with your email address and I will pass along what we used as a manifest based on what Barry and Arden told us to do.  The email to you will come from Terrance Smith.
Am off to the airport to pick up friends in a few.

TerrynViv wrote:

We shipped from Blackfalds, Alberta and used Barry Wilson and Arden Brink http://shipcostarica.com/  Our container was trucked to Calgary then put on a train to Vancouver.  In Vancouver it was then put on a ship.  Good experience !!!

Michael with shippingcr.com and Barry are actually partners.  Arden is just an employee. 

- Expat Dave

I most certainly know.  Arden is the most exceptional "employee" I have ever met.  She was the most instrumental person in getting us here so I do not understand your comment " Arden is just an employee"'

That would be like your wife is just a woman (if you are married).

Arden is awesome!!!!!  As is Barry with whom we still communicate 4 years later.

Am struggling with your "POINT"

I contacted shippingcr.com and contacted a micheal he seemed disinterested about shipping from Canada. This didn't seem like the people you were talking about so I looked a little closer shippingCR .com and shiper. Com are two different sites when I communicated with the latter a whole different  story Arden got back to me immediately with all kinds of info like you said Terrance. It seems to me they are two different companies.

TerrynViv wrote:

I most certainly know.  Arden is the most exceptional "employee" I have ever met.  She was the most instrumental person in getting us here so I do not understand your comment " Arden is just an employee"'

That would be like your wife is just a woman (if you are married).

Arden is awesome!!!!!  As is Barry with whom we still communicate 4 years later.

Am struggling with your "POINT"

Sorry, I did not mean that to sound negative in any way.  I was simply pointing out that the company you were referring to is one-in-the-same and that Barry and Michael work in partnership.

I also agree that Arden is a very nice and helpful person. She helped me with our move as well.  I apologize for it sounding otherwise.   :thanks::D

- Expat Dave

I am pleased that you had a good experience with Arden.  She was the most important single factor of our move being successful.

Cheers .... Terry