Properties in your country

One of the many advantages in moving to Portugal for an Italian citizen is to have the possibility to receive his gross pension paid in full and tax free for 10 year; I was told that one of the requirements, in addition to be registered to the AIRE, is that in Italy you do not have to be having any properties. If this is true, it means that I have to arrange the selling of my house and this is somehow not such and intelligent thing to do because if I want to spend some few month in Italy during the year, I have to rent one place and this is unacceptable.
Can please someone explain me if this is true?

Thank you so much in advance

Sergio Cantelli

I have the same problem, still leaving in Italy.
I just edited a new Post, it seems it is not true...if you don't do any job in Italy or you don't get any profit from your business activities in Italy it is possible to keep you house: you must just pay the IMU, as it won't be anymore a "prima casa".
but I'm curious if anybody on this expat community has a sure legal answer on the matter, thanks

hello I confirm that you do not have to sell your property in Italy .
To benefit from the Non Habitual Tax Benefit Regime (RRNH) :
- You need to become resident in Portugal, ie, stay more than 183 days. You can buy something or rent ....
- You need to get a PT tax number (“numero de contribuinte fiscal”).
- You need to submit a formal request to the tax authority,till 31th March of the following year, of becoming resident.
It can take some months to be responded, but the regime is applicable on the requesting year. Even if RRNH is granted, you will be obliged to present an annual tax return.

If you have more question please feel free to contact me in PM . MY wife is from Italy and speak your language ...

Dimitri