Teaching Jobs

Hi everyone,

I am a recent graduate with 3 years worth of teaching experience and soon to be CELTA qualified. I know I am able to get an Employment Pass for Malaysia as I have gained approval not long ago, however, due to some problems not associated with the job I was unable to go through with it. I was wondering where the best places to search for teaching jobs are in Malaysia (cities, schools, language centres) and what the best way to go about it is (online/in-person etc.)?

Same places as where you found the job you turned down. Concentrate on KL and the Klang Valley as there are quite a large number of language schools there. Other locations such as Penang would have local teachers due to the English skills being sometimes first language in some families due to historical events.

I haven't seen any jobs advertised in expat forums lately but you could check the Jobs section above. It could well be that due to the increasing number of international and private schools opening, there is a move to ESL teaching within such places, so perhaps TES will have openings advertised. Sometimes the British Council is recruiting teaching staff, so worth checking their website too. Jobstreet is the main online portal to apply through https://www.jobstreet.com.my/en/job-sea … sh+teacher

Thanks for your reply Gravitas. The problem that I've had since moving on from the other job opportunity is that all the other ESL jobs I've applied to in Malaysia, including KL, have said they need or prefer me to be in Malaysia for the application process. Do you know of any language schools/centres that are willing to hire applicants from abroad sponsor a work visa?

They are  not telling you the truth. You cannot be in Malaysia while the visa application process is being done - that is the rule. So they are either "letting you down gently" or unreliable employers some of who operate scams by luring people to Malaysia and never get them work permits after they arrive. So some eager people overstay and are trapped here.

Just keep an eye on Jobstreet and google the main language centres. I am hearing that English mother tongue teachers are being laid off and having difficulty changing jobs as local centres are cutting back salaries (times are hard in Malaysia). Good local students who can't find work are becoming language teachers.

Join Internations.org as a basic member only so you can also use their forum.

Will do. Thanks for your help!