Hello - new to the forum

Hello, I am an English person who after travelling in south east asia recently am now considering moving to Cambodia to teach English, but I have never done anything like this before and have no experience so all advice welcome!

Hi Emma,

Well,there are always opportunities to teach here and so many expats like you who came to Cambodia just for a short visit,fell in love with the place,got a job and a few years later are still here :) Some schools don't really care if you have had experience before...but some other schools think its important. I have friends who got teaching jobs without prior experience and they are doing quite well in their jobs.

So id advice you to just go for it :) check this websites for vacant teaching positions and just apply and wait and see,am sure all will be well... bongthom.com  and camhr.com

Cheers,
Maggie

Hey Emma,

I too am from the UK. I'd never been to Asia before but found a job here in Cambodia, bought a one way ticket and haven't looked back since.

Finding a job here is super easy if you're a native English speaker. There are plenty of schools that hire unqualified teachers or teachers without experience. You'll quickly get into the swing of it. You can do a random TEFL if it would give you confidence, but unless its a CELTA or TrinityCERT its not worth the paper its written on, its more for networking opportunities.

The cost of living can be really cheap if you eat local food and shop at the markets. There's a pretty decent expat scene. A few clubs and plenty of restaurants and bars.

From personal experience i'd say DO IT!! If it all goes tits up you're only ever a flight away from home. But if it works out, it'll be the best experience of your life so far! For me, it's the best decision i've ever made. Life's easy and relaxed here. And its always sunny!!

Don't think into it too much. If i did I would never have came. Take a chance. It'll be worth it.

Good Luck!

Sam :)